Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

According to a eurogamer interview its another RPG, this time with full player customization. I'm kinda dissapointed. I hated Odyssey and I want a return to a more fleshed out experience that is about being an ASSASSIN. Nobody wanted Assassins Creed to be a Witcher-like, especially with how poorly they pulled off the games systems in Odyssey. I feel like its going to be another Ghost Recon Breakpoint, where the game is just about level numbers and what rng gives you. Building out the perfect renaissance infiltration kit was so much more exciting to me.

Just compare this trailer to the one for AC3.聽Both have a similar set up with a battle scene and the main character being a badass. The idea portrayed in AC3 is so much more interesting from a gameplay perspective and really suites the name of Assassin.

Last AC I've played was Black Flag, it was alright but I really dislike how "safe" and "formulaic" these series became. Not for me.

I've played a lot of AC: Origins lately and what brings me most joy is making a plan how to take out a whole enemy camp without an alarm or even anyone noticing. Stealth is my preferred way to play, which is what I'd expect from an assassin's creed game anyway.

Odyssey looks like it pushes that style of playing to the side in favor of more combat focused style. I get that it fits the spartan theme better, but why not just make it a For Honor spin off or a completely different franchise?

This new entry looks the build upon that. Not too excited, but perhaps the setting will be interesting enough.

I find it a bit odd that the assassin this time around is a viking while the villains are the English, at least I think thats whats happening in the trailer. The vikings are pretty much unanimously the bad guys in any story that isnt by the vikings, they had no mercy (and definitely would not have spared the mother and children like he did in the trailer), slaughtered and destroyed anything and everything and would go back on their word in just about every instance.

They are invading England here, its not exactly a great time to live there but the vikings are definitely the more oppressive force. They are invading and slaughtering peasants and the king seems to be fighting a losing battle, yet the protagonist is on the vikings side? It would make way more sense if the Assassin was English. From what I understand about AC is that the main protagonist is living through lives of his ancestors. Of course the sheer diversity in his lineage is a little out there, but I somehow doubt a viking came in to play. They were pretty hegemonic until they started pillaging other lands. Given that other games list Ancestors who seem more pure English it would make more sense for the Assassin to be English in this time.

It would make for a more interesting story too (granted we dont know anything about this ones story yet and its a yearly franchise game trying to do a narrative which never works out). The assassin wants to kill the corrupt king whos trying to bring all of England under his rule, but has to set aside this vendetta and ally with the king to defeat the common enemy, the vikings, who will wipe out England and enslave the survivors. Add some story beats here and there about the how the king somehow brought the vikings to England in his stupidity, show some vikings who arnt monsters, throw the player through a loop about who to support.

Instead it seems more, king is pompous and bad, vikings are epic and free, go kill knights and soldiers and king, vikings are really cool arnt they. Heres a 40 minute unskipable cutscene intro for the modern day descendant, now we wont do anything with him until the last 5 minutes of the game where its revealed that in fact there will be for sequels.聽

1 hour ago, fewseb said:

Instead it seems more, king is pompous and bad, vikings are epic and free, go kill knights and soldiers and king, vikings are really cool arnt they.

AC lore has always been about the conflict between freedom born of chaos and order born of complete destruction of free will. Except now rather than engineering chaos from the shadows you are the chaos.

I'm more upset that we're getting another rpg game. Odyssey made me want to kill my self.

1. Quests were very lame and consisted of either killing a thing or getting a thing.

2. Leveling was insanely unfun, an enemy one level up two shots you versus you having to hit them 50 times to kill them.

3. Combat and movement were extremely stiff, making it feel like I lacked any real control in a fight. This problem was worsened by the abilities, which restricted聽combat freedom even more.

At least AC Syndicate let me be Victorian Batman who does actual assassin stuff. Pretty under appreciated game imo.

7 hours ago, fewseb said:

I find it a bit odd that the assassin this time around is a viking while the villains are the English, at least I think thats whats happening in the trailer. The vikings are pretty much unanimously the bad guys in any story that isnt by the vikings, they had no mercy (and definitely would not have spared the mother and children like he did in the trailer), slaughtered and destroyed anything and everything and would go back on their word in just about every instance.

They are invading England here, its not exactly a great time to live there but the vikings are definitely the more oppressive force. They are invading and slaughtering peasants and the king seems to be fighting a losing battle, yet the protagonist is on the vikings side? It would make way more sense if the Assassin was English. From what I understand about AC is that the main protagonist is living through lives of his ancestors. Of course the sheer diversity in his lineage is a little out there, but I somehow doubt a viking came in to play. They were pretty hegemonic until they started pillaging other lands. Given that other games list Ancestors who seem more pure English it would make more sense for the Assassin to be English in this time

Yeah when i saw the king signing the letter, I was honestly feeling surprised as they made it look like he was calling for some Assassin's help to kill the Viking leaders and stop the invasion.

I have no knowledge of this part of History so have no insight on what could happen... maybe it can be a setup like Hitman Blood Money, where the Vikings incorporate some Assassin's and the Brits will have the player going against that, but I think is unlikely as there was so much focus on building this badass viking character. Also what would be the point of having it set in this era if the player doesn't get to play with the Viking outfits and weapons.

I dunno if the storyline make sense at all, I only played the original game and only watched some sort of "recap". My understanding was that the first 3 games were about Desmond going through his lineage... I assume the other entries were "spin-offs" in the sense that they take you into other families' lineage. I haven't seen/heard of Abstergo since AC3 and not even sure they feature contemporary sequences anymore?

~

For someone that didn't like the original AC, I still redeemed the games when they came up free on Uplay :D

1177549106_WhatsAppImage2020-04-14at22_04_41.jpeg.300bd53aca0640d255bcac1cc704de0e.jpeg

I was still planning on playing Black Flag because is the first one that showed something a bit different... and since what you say @DMU222 I guess I might try Syndicate (which I have thanks to Epic Store)

Edited by blackdog

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

what have I missed?

Youre a viking this time. Vikings are so cool and epic. Buy the promotional Vikings TV series DLC mission pack鈩笍 to be even more cool and free like a viking. Pre order now to get 5 in game currency points.