FMPONE

Console Warz, 2020

Which Hardcore Console?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Hardcore Console?

• Xbox Series X
    • PlayStation 5

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

What makes you say that? With all Xbox games coming to PC as well I feel like: “Xbox what?” and I’m talking as someone who really likes the X360 (my first console as well)

Which part? The "I think MS has the lead" or "but will lose by a gnats hair" ?

If the former, it is down to the perception as MS is quoting TFLOP numbers in their marketing and are pushing these numbers as a key barometer of performance.

If the latter, that is because of the developer-centrist design of the PS5.

XBSX will no doubt be pushed by numbers and it is akin to a Lamborghini Countach in how it was marketed. Big, impressive design. Big numbers. Yet, hard to get in and out of, brake discs like milk-bottle tops, and over-heated so badly you could not get the windows open fast enough, which was hard, given the fact the windows didn't work properly anyway. But hey, it looked cool, right?

If XBSX is the Countach, PS5 will be the Countach with air-con, ABS, better fuel efficiency and sat-nav

Edited by Mitch Mitchell

Yeah I meant the “having the lead” part @Mitch Mitchell.

I’m not sure how important specs are anymore, people don’t care, the average gamer don’t care. Only the enthusiasts that need to do console war in the forums care about those numbers. They can try to use it for marketing but I don’t think it’ll work. 

What they need are games, and the acquisitions they’ve made are promising, but we need to see a lineup. People care of the cheapest and easiest way to get their PES/FIFA on their TV… and the Xbox doesn’t even seem easy to place anywhere in your living room with that tower design.
Also, because of the huge user-base lead Sony has, MS needs to target first buyers most of all, I don’t see an easy task to convince people to switch (back!) to the Xbox.

~
Why is the PS “dev-centric”, simpler architecture? (The irony ;) )

You would imagine that MS above all would understand and make their stuff developer friendly (just like the X360 was a hit thanks to the combo of XNA+Indie Arcade+every console is a dev-unit).

Shouldn't be easier to work on an Xbox, considering the games are made available for PC I would expect they make it like developing for windows (which most devs do anyway)

Edited by blackdog

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

What they need are games, and the acquisitions they’ve made are promising, but we need to see a lineup. People care of the cheapest and easiest way to get their PES/FIFA on their TV… and the Xbox doesn’t even seem easy to place anywhere in your living room with that tower design.

Also, because of the huge user-base lead Sony has, MS needs to target first buyers most of all, I don’t see an easy task to convince people to switch (back!) to the Xbox.

~
Why is the PS “dev-centric”, simpler architecture? (The irony ;) )

You would imagine that MS above all would understand and make their stuff developer friendly (just like the X360 was a hit thanks to the combo of XNA+Indie Arcade+every console is a dev-unit).

Shouldn't be easier to work on an Xbox, considering the games are made available for PC I would expect they make it like developing for windows (which most devs do anyway)

True,

And what devs need are platforms that:

1) Allow for backwards compatibility to existing stock.

2) Allow for full and complete usage of the hardware with no bottlenecks.

3) Allow for the least amount of restrictions on design...so, not having to worry about packaging up levels/maps would be a key part of that (for PS5) versus the XBSX using 'off the shelf' hardware, like they drove through the tech warehouse and just filled up the cart with stuff and slammed it together. ❤️ the way XBSX has an exhaust at the top...not the greatest way to extract heat out of a box, and, is probably the worst thing people would want under/next to, their tv...

PS5 has a better toolbox for devs than XBSX, I suspect.

6 hours ago, Zarsky said:

@Mitch Mitchell

The XBSX might have a lower bandwidth SSD than PS5, but it's still a very fast SSD. Hard to imagine that becoming an issue for multi platform games any time soon.

Perhaps it will, perhaps it won't - but decompressing on-the-fly is dependent on the type/sort/variety of your compression type, for which XB does not appear to have of the same quality, comparatively speaking.

So - that is the bottleneck I spoke of.

http://www.radgametools.com/oodlekraken.htm

29 minutes ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

Perhaps it will, perhaps it won't - but decompressing on-the-fly is dependent on the type/sort/variety of your compression type, for which XB does not appear to have of the same quality, comparatively speaking.

So - that is the bottleneck I spoke of.

http://www.radgametools.com/oodlekraken.htm

Hmm, yeah that could be an issue. But, MS hasn't detailed their storage solution to the same degree as Mark Cerny did, so we'll see how their solution turns out. Hard to imagine that they haven't also gathered feedback from first party devs regarding bottlenecks and desired features.

Only time will tell. 🤔

On 4/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, Zarsky said:

Hmm, yeah that could be an issue. But, MS hasn't detailed their storage solution to the same degree as Mark Cerny did, so we'll see how their solution turns out. Hard to imagine that they haven't also gathered feedback from first party devs regarding bottlenecks and desired features.

Only time will tell. 🤔

Oh, totally. MS do have a compression/decompression, but the details are as you say; scarce.

I'll say it again, this round will be a mirror'd example of the XB360/PS3 32-bit war we saw in the 90's/00's - which was (I think) the longest console war ever...2005-2017 (commenced/discontinued date for both consoles) and, I think the PS5/XBSX consoles appear to very much be consoles that are glorified upgrades over the PS4/XB1 models.

So....I'm a consultnat/analyst type in the space and have been for a while once I left the publisher side. I had a PS3, X360 and Wii (and a Wii-U in a box that I never opened...but thanks for sending me one, Nintendo!).

Today I have a PS4, Xbone and a Switch.  But I also have 2 kids who are now old enough to game.  Hands down Switch is the best console cause of kids and the portability and 1st party games. After that PS4 is my go to.  That said, I play Minecraft with both kids and we each use one console and play cross platform and it is glorious. I try to get a good Xbox game to play roughly every quarter but nothing really lasted long except for Titanfall 2 on Xbone which I finished and loved.  (Of course, I could have played it on PC or PS4 but I chose Xbox One™ because I dunno just did.)

Re. PS5 vs. XBSX....I prefer Playstation 1st party games and don't play enough of the Xbox 1st party stuff to really care, even with Bethesda in the mix and even with Xbox Game Pass which, let's face it, if you like the lineup and play a ton of games it is a great deal.

Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn (and coming sequel) are so good on their own it's worth buying a PS4 and/or/whatever a PS5. Plus after Halo Reach I stopped caring about Halo.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, FMPONE said:

bump. has anyone switched console choices?

With the XBox Game Pass, I haven't played this much on my PC in a long time... So, I started to love XBox too.

For now, the place that we live in kind of lends itself nicely for me to be able to play Xbox games on my PC. But, when eventually we move to a bigger place where I can have my own office, I'll just get a XBox Series X for the living room. (Even though, games might never look as good there as they could look on my PC)

Coming November, I wont be getting neither console. PS5 has no games that I want to play right away, and Xbox I can play on PC for the time being. :)

24 minutes ago, [HP] said:

With the XBox Game Pass, I haven't played this much on my PC in a long time... So, I started to love XBox too.

For now, the place that we live in kind of lends itself nicely for me to be able to play Xbox games on my PC. But, when eventually we move to a bigger place where I can have my own office, I'll just get a XBox Series X for the living room. (Even though, games might never look as good there as they could look on my PC)

Coming November, I wont be getting neither console. PS5 has no games that I want to play right away, and Xbox I can play on PC for the time being. :)

Yeah that's defintiely something I've had to explain to a lot of investor types...that as potentially interesting/powerful/whatever the PS5 and XSX might be, there is a little less excitement than we'd normally expect given the initial software lineups. 

I think the way the industry has changed since 360/ps3 or even xbox/ps2/dreamcast days; is the thing I find interesting.

All those barriers of entry have been changed so much since those days, as we have removed those barriers with technology. If you wanted to own a console in those days, you had to literally be first in the queue at a shop that had them in stock on the day of release, stay up all night, buy the console with cash and buy the launch titles. A massive investment of time, energy and dedication to the wallet and the thing that it is attached to. All those lawns mowed, papers delivered, driveways cleared - just to get to be the one who can hold that controller on launch day.

No pre-orders.

Now? Now we sit on our fat asses and use a capacitive touch (no buttons! too much effort!) interface on something that fits in our pocket, and the console gets delivered to our houses - plus the added bonus of calling the delivery driver non-ironic pejoratives to their faces for being 10 minutes late, or not closing the gate behind them.

The stories about buying consoles, getting consoles and owning consoles (and the narrative surrounding it) anno 2020; seems to be important than actually playing the games!

4 hours ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

The stories about buying consoles, getting consoles and owning consoles (and the narrative surrounding it) anno 2020; seems to be important than actually playing the games!

I think I can relate to this. There’s really not a single console game I’m looking forward to this gen. Cyberpunk on PC will do the trick.