Spiffy

How to go about slanted maps?

How would I go about creating areas in a map that are slanted/rotated?

Picture 1 is the top down view from hammer

For example, in picture 2, the orange on the floor is one of the sites which is rotated compared to the straight other site (the other orange part on the floor to the right). 

image.png.8c4cc57dcc005ffcca7da187f0eadbdc.png

Is there any way to easily make a map like this?

image.png

Edited by Spiffy
changed content a little

Generally there are two ways of going about it. Instances are ideal for detailed areas such as houses, because building everything on a slant would be painful. However, for corridors and other rectangular areas, it is easier and cleaner to use the vertex tool.

A common beginner mistake is making a slanted corridor as so:

Capture1.PNG.53d67e3ff0a2e34dcb95b898040b9585.PNG

As you can see the width of the angled passage and the grid passage vary greatly. This is probably not what you are looking for.

Capture.PNG.c070191fc6f5948fb54abc097e7feb10.PNG

This version is similar, but the meeting points of the corridors is different. The line where they meet is about the width of the passage ensuring the size does not change.

The way you achieve this is by using grid squares. As you can see, the width edge of the angled brush goes up two squares for every one square it goes to the side. On the  opposite side the reverse is true with the edge going two square horizontally for each vertically.

This is not always going to be the case. For example, a steeper angle:

image.png.d37fcdf3961f4260c3c724a916b0a4cb.png

Now the width edge of the angled brush doesn't precisely follow the grid, only intersecting the grid at the beginning and end points. The important part is that the desired width of the passage is maintained. Sometimes there might not be a suitable grid slope ( e.g. : 2 units up one to the side  ) to do this, such as in the case above. Just make sure your vertices are ON GRID with this method.

Here is a short video of me making the angles to show you my workflow. If you have any other questions I can probably help you. I am pretty tired of people saying piss off and practice when there are methods to doing it. Also, walls can be created in a similar manner, but since they are usually buildings, some of the sides will be aligned with the grid and it is much easier.

Use 1:1, 1:2, 1:4 grids.

The simpler the slope is, the easier it is to work on it and the more details you'll be able to add. 1:2 is simple, 5:7 isn't. Try to keep it to power of 2 or multiples of power of 2.

Here's a 1:2 grid next to a 1:4 grid.

unknown.png

You should still use rotated instances whenever you can as those are a lot easier to work with. With that being said this might not always be possible (for world brushes in particular).

I personally try to avoid anything different then 90 or 45 degree unless its an very simple area. This because on 45 you can still easyly work on the grid. Otherwise instances are a great alternative to work with but I am personally not a big fan. They also do not show up on @Terri's Auto Radar 😉 and I am not sure how an instance work when doing optimisation with hints and such since in the main vmf, the rotated instance is off grid and such 

1 hour ago, Roald said:

I personally try to avoid anything different then 90 or 45 degree unless its an very simple area. This because on 45 you can still easyly work on the grid. Otherwise instances are a great alternative to work with but I am personally not a big fan. They also do not show up on @Terri's Auto Radar 😉 and I am not sure how an instance work when doing optimisation with hints and such since in the main vmf, the rotated instance is off grid and such 

They are collapsed on compile so they basicly acts like a normal geo :D 

1 hour ago, Roald said:

Don't quote me on this, but I think instances not showing up on Terri's Autoradar can be fixed, if you import the instance in single sections corresponding with one of the tar_ groups each (so the floor of the instance would be a separate instance that you then assign tar_layout, walls are an instant that is tar_mask and roof is just left and has to become a separate instance as well). The important thing is just that there aren't different tar_ groups within the same instance.

Of course this might have drawbacks, for example not being able to rotate all three parts the same angle, which would kind of defeat the purpose ^^.

12 hours ago, Roald said:

Otherwise instances are a great alternative to work with but I am personally not a big fan.

On top of being fiddly with tar, connecting angled instances to other passages is messy because they are almost always off grid due to the pivot point.

15 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

On top of being fiddly with tar, connecting angled instances to other passages is messy because they are almost always off grid due to the pivot point.

Maybe because you always put pivot point off grid. I never had any issues with connecting geo from instance.