FMPONE

[CS:GO] Exotic Places Contest TOP 4 WINNERS

4 hours ago, blackdog said:

imo that’s disrespectful for those who are maintaining the game

the few, the proud

4 hours ago, blackdog said:

Call of Duty, EA with BF or Apex Legends

I think this is unfair because all of those games need a dedicated team to produce a map that is up to par. Also COD has a minute pc community. A lot of games with small levels or managably sized levels have some degree of modding

Also with billions in revenue, I don't think a few big projects are keeping valve from fixing up their cash cow properly. Laziness of valve not their employees.

Edited by Interfearance

I see this type of mapping contests as a way of making your level designer and artist skills recognized. And of course a big plus to your CV especially if you want to enter the gaming industry. The fact the one's map is selected for a while în the game, it is just a side effect.

On 4/12/2020 at 3:22 PM, Radix said:

If players know that a map will be removed after such a short time, they will not want to learn it and keep playing Mirage or whatever.

That was my original concern with the Operations model. Good point!

I do agree with the popularity idea, but here's lies the transparency issue. Players need to know that this map is being trialed out and could potentially move up to Active Duty.

The way Valve does things with the map pool reminds me of how I make maps, with zero transparency. I design a layout, I test it, I put aside the feedback, then I take the tings I like and start from scratch. And then when the next playtest comes along and people be like, what happened to this map? I can't recognize it? It was fine before, I just say, ahem, this is how it is now. I like it better.

On 4/13/2020 at 2:20 AM, Passerby97 said:

It's not Valve's fault the most efficient way to get high quality maps is by following mapcore and it's competitions.

That's like saying it's not my fault for watching a Captain Crunch commercial and deciding it's the best breakfast for me.

Maybe if they had a long term plan about these gorgeous community maps (like seeing them on the big screen, cause that's what I want), then it wouldn't seem like they're so lazy about curating them.

Edited by NikiOo

On 4/13/2020 at 12:20 AM, Passerby97 said:

I am not trying to be hostile. I am again, just saying that mapcore competitions mostly what decide maps in the game.
So, again. If you dislike what maps get into the game the fault should be directed at the judges of those competitions, not the people at valve, who trust those judges and follow their decisions.
It's not Valve's fault the most efficient way to get high quality maps is by following mapcore and it's competitions. Mapcore has an indirect communication channel to Valve. There should be nothing hostile about that.

Hey it's simple: Valve makes the game, Valve decides what content goes in it.
It is totally "their fault" if a map you don't like ends in the official rotation. I wouldn't put it in those terms though because:

1. nowhere says they should support community content
  2. they have picked maps straight from the workshop before
  3. Valve-made maps are not necessarily welcomed either

Criticise the judges all you want if you don't like the winning maps, but you can't place any responsibility on them regarding what ends up in the game, as per above. The tournament prize doesn't comprise a slot in the official map rotation: no developer in their right of mind would ever promise that (nobody wants crap content in their game).

Oh you also said this previously:

Sadly only few hand-picked judges in this third-party website decide what maps get the fabled top spot. This means nobody but them control what maps get accepted to the game. Effectively nobody else in the playerbase has any power to even slightly influence what maps get accepted to the game.

and it occurred to me that Warowl takes credit for the removal of Cobble from the map rotation. So you don't need a competition to affect the map rotation, because the only thing that Valve cares to judge this sort of thing is --like Google-- numbers. The community votes by playing, rating, downloading.

I won't reply on the competitive stuff because it would be a long game design discussion that goes way off topic, plus we have professionals here that can pick it apart better than me for sure.

On 4/13/2020 at 2:31 AM, Interfearance said:

I think this is unfair because all of those games need a dedicated team to produce a map that is up to par. Also COD has a minute pc community. A lot of games with small levels or managably sized levels have some degree of modding

Also with billions in revenue, I don't think a few big projects are keeping valve from fixing up their cash cow properly. Laziness of valve not their employees.

A team is not a requirement but a production choice: you have multiple people working because it's faster and you want the map done in three months instead of one year. You are well aware there are entire games made by one person. By the way most of the maps in the contest were made by at least two people.

Dunno why you think people wouldn't manage creating AAA content, you maybe haven't seen the stuff produced for the Unreal contest that was run a few years back, or the Crysis stuff that people have in their portfolios. Many of the designers here are professionals that work or have worked on the aforementioned titles...

What are the major games that allow modding you are thinking of?
There was actually a topic opened recently and I don't remember anything big being brought up.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

What are the major games that allow modding you are thinking of?

Off the top of my head, all the fallouts, the armas, and halos till 4. Also a lot of games allow modding but I would get flamed because you need a separate client and it can be involved. Such an example would even be bo1, the worst cod for modding. Bo3 and bo2 had tons of custom maps for zombies. I used to watch so many videos of that.

To get to your point about creating the same quality maps in a matter of time, I don't really think this is possible. Its not just about manual labor. The concepts and ideas behind these maps come usually come from a seasoned team. If one guy can match the concept art/ideas (subjective duh), the layout quality, and the technical execution (scripts, effects, etc), we would have some AAA indie games indeed. Not to say some cry engine stuff isn't impressive, but having used the engine myself, it is not really the same thing as making a map from scratch. You have access to so many of the assets off the bat, and 99% of maps I have seen are in a jungle setting which entails prop distribution and terrain creation, along with a few outstanding structures, usually warehouses. Maybe I am wrong about crysis maps, send me pics. 

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

Criticise the judges all you want if you don't like the winning maps, but you can't place any responsibility on them regarding what ends up in the game

You haven't really showed me that you disagree with me on my view that top Mapcore has been deciding maps for many years now, so I am not really sure what else outside to appeal to ignorance can be used to defend their judges from being at fault for what maps get accepted.

I think you're misunderstanding something here as well. I replied to Interfearance's comments about which maps are being accepted to the game. I don't really care what maps get accepted into the game myself. I just play on community servers anyways.

I also fail to understand what Warowl, one of the judges on the latest competition, getting a map removed from the game by rallying his followers is meant to prove.

4 minutes ago, Passerby97 said:

bit off-topic, but what does the LOL reaction mean?

It seems to be used completely randomly in this thread: agree, disagree, funny reply, normal reply...

It means someone found your reply funny.

Passerby, in this case I think you've been banging your "there's an elite and powerful cabal at the top of Mapcore who pull Valve's puppet strings" drum for so long that people now just find it funny rather than disagreeable, confusing or plain incorrect. The same way people laugh when somebody goes on about faked moon-landings or chem trails. You've become a parody if yourself. It's funny. LOL. Haha. Etc. Of course, if you're correct we may all be sleepwalking in to a terrible dystopian future in which we all have to churn out boring 4-leaf clover CS maps or face being defrocked and whipped in public by a Mapcore moderator.

23 minutes ago, text_fish said:

Passerby, in this case I think you've been banging your "there's an elite and powerful cabal at the top of Mapcore who pull Valve's puppet strings" drum for so long that people now just find it funny rather than disagreeable

That's not my view at all.
I simply think that the judges decide what maps win competitions, and maps that win competitions get into the game. There's no cabal or conspiracy there. I don't understand what it is specifically that you're actually even disagreeing with here. Those two are facts. I am not sure how you can disagree that judges judge competitions or statistics have numbers on them.

Interfearances comments about which maps gets accepted to the game is understandable concern and I didn't see any hints of a conspiracy in that either.

Warowl himself critized the judging competition's scoring system in his video about the competition. I think his criticism is understandable. This video is the reason I realized the mapcore trend and made this account in the first place.

I think it's fair to point out that even if one of the judges thinks there's a high chance he's selecting a map for next the CS:GO operation, that might have some merit and not be some conspiracy theory on how they faked a moon landing on Lunacy. (which totally is the backstory of that map btw)

Edited by Passerby97

Yeah lets cut the crap. Valve playtest maps they find interesting and add maps that are fun during playtests. And that should be the end of this discussion. No matter who or what created it or when or where, what a bullshit discussion this is... Who cares anyways? Be happy Valve encourage the community to make maps and add them, thats one hella cool thing right? 

Edited by Roald