Jump to content
FMPONE

[CS:GO] Exotic Places Contest TOP 4 WINNERS

Recommended Posts

I give Graveyard a 35/25 on Visuals for having the biggest custom prop! The other 10 maps shouldn't even be in the top 11. If anyone disagrees with me, your logic is flawed! Your subjective opinions are an insult to my highly systematic methods of analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

 

 

@Tynnyri The fact that you use my meme as 'evidence' is truly ironic, as I made it because I was angry that one very stupid user kept saying that the map was:

" a greybox -textured custom models "

In my opinion, "visual presentation" goes far beyond the quality of assets or level of detailing in them. Visual presentation is all about careful placement of simple details and good lighting working together to create a beautiful visual composition. Graveyard's assets flow together, creating an interesting mix of organic and inorganic structures that your eyes glide across. This is where the true art of mapping comes out, its about creating a level of visual fidelity that doesn't distract, yet captures the imagination. Similar logic can be applied in the world of other artistic mediums like painting. The art of Vincent van Gogh uses just a few basic colors and strokes, but it comes together to form a masterpiece. Even in level design, is a good map defined by the amount of corners a hallway has? Of course not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of sad that being annoying is enough reason to ban someone - I know yall are real serious level designers and stuff but for me personally it was enjoyable to wake up and read a wall of text from a person who didn't really care about being nice or whatever but who indeed did give feedback and have risen valid points. Rip tynnyri, a man who's disability to be "polite" made people dismiss his points. honestly it seems that mapcore isnt a place for people who want to make maps, it seems like a place for people who wanna just continue praising top mappers and suck eachothers dicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I think the time has come, Tyrinni is banned for constantly flooding threads with long, boring, pedantic arguments. May this be a second celebratory moment for our community.

This beats coming 3rd any day of the week. Don't bother sending my prizes, you've given us enough. 

Edited by JimWood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to the winners. I might remember it wrong, but wasnt it promised for all participants to see their score. I am interested in mine 😀

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird. Anubis, surely is unconstestable. After their final additions, I think that map was beyond the scope of any of the entries. But, to me maps like Mutiny and Jingshen (after playing their updates) simply couldn't tip to the quality and required skill-ceiling of maps like Swamp and Mustang. Then again, I'm no judge. And, also, those two maps are amazing entries in their own right. But, in my opinion, if we're talking about what makes a level impressive and what's required to make a design work in the smallest of details, I didn't think maps like Swamp or Musting could fall out of the top 4. I can't speak for gameplay, but I don't think the aforementioned maps had anything in them that could be considered unacceptable of sorts.

Once again, I'm no judge. It's just my opinion 🙂 At the end of the day, I'd love to be in the shoes of anybody who made it this far, and unfortunatly I didn't succeed in that. Some of the decisions might also just be granting some people the exposure that they deserve and need, whereas some of the entrants have already had enough footsteps in the professional world. Congratulations to the top-4, and hopefully we'll see some of these entries make it into the game (regardless of the contest results).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JorisCeoen said:

 I didn't think maps like Swamp or Musting could fall out of the top 4. I can't speak for gameplay, but I don't think the aforementioned maps had anything in them that could be considered unacceptable of sorts.

I was shocked to see them not make it but I do see the judges' point, maybe with Mustang's layout not being that great for sure, but the theme was already explored in Monastery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The judges weren’t unanimous, but Mustang was not in enough top 4’s. That’s how it goes sometimes. 🙂

Regarding the point about theme I disagree. Monastery is set in a Tibetan monastery, while Mustang is set in a traditional Nepalese village. More importantly, the execution is vastly different. Opinions may vary on gameplay and art polish, but on this point I won’t budge. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great maps, even so, the only map i actually think would be a great map to see on tournaments etc is mutiny. I have spent hours on these maps trying to figure out tactics smokes etc and tbh the only map i see REAL potential in is mutiny. I would really like to see in the next competition that the judges put more interests in the gameplay etc rather than 25 points in graphics. Another map that actually had great potential in gameplay was mocha but that map didnt make it this far. This should imo stand between mutiny and mocha. I am one of those who would like to see a new map every year in tournaments, but to often the maps that is created is created only to look good. 

And where is the pro players who actually knows a thing or two about how a map should be built?

Anyways great job all of you who actually made it this far, i am a bit dissapointed thats all :D

8 minutes ago, judas said:

Great maps, even so, the only map i actually think would be a great map to see on tournaments etc is mutiny. I have spent hours on these maps trying to figure out tactics smokes etc and tbh the only map i see REAL potential in is mutiny. I would really like to see in the next competition that the judges put more interests in the gameplay etc rather than 25 points in graphics. Another map that actually had great potential in gameplay was mocha but that map didnt make it this far. This should imo stand between mutiny and mocha. I am one of those who would like to see a new map every year in tournaments, but to often the maps that is created is created only to look good. 

And where is the pro players who actually knows a thing or two about how a map should be built?

Anyways great job all of you who actually made it this far, i am a bit dissapointed thats all :D

Laugh all you want lizard, only because i didnt mention your map. It looks awsome, cant see how it would even stand a chance in gameplay against those map i mentioned. But hey what do i know, i only played cs since 1.3 and competed/played with top players in 1.6. Shame on me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, judas said:

Great maps, even so, the only map i actually think would be a great map to see on tournaments etc is mutiny. I have spent hours on these maps trying to figure out tactics smokes etc and tbh the only map i see REAL potential in is mutiny. I would really like to see in the next competition that the judges put more interests in the gameplay etc rather than 25 points in graphics. Another map that actually had great potential in gameplay was mocha but that map didnt make it this far. This should imo stand between mutiny and mocha. I am one of those who would like to see a new map every year in tournaments, but to often the maps that is created is created only to look good. 

And where is the pro players who actually knows a thing or two about how a map should be built?

Anyways great job all of you who actually made it this far, i am a bit dissapointed thats all :D

Laugh all you want lizard, only because i didnt mention your map. It looks awsome, cant see how it would even stand a chance in gameplay against those map i mentioned. But hey what do i know, i only played cs since 1.3 and competed/played with top players in 1.6. Shame on me!

Thanks, I think. I don't really know who you're aiming your frustrations at. This is a community of people that make maps because it's fun, with an extremely slim chance of compensation. If actual pro players would like to volunteer their critique of countless grayboxes that will in most cases never be released, I'd applaud them for it. Maps don't get exposure unless they look good, and only then do they have a chance at receiving the high-level feedback you're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, judas said:

pro players who actually knows a thing or two about how a map should be built

IMHO pro players know nothing about how a map should be built. They can give good feedback on how an area feels or can be modified, but they don't understand what makes a map tick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DMU222 said:

IMHO pro players know nothing about how a map should be built. They can give good feedback on how an area feels or can be modified, but they don't understand what makes a map tick.

Ofc the do know how a map should be built, what works, what does not work. Who do the mappers build the maps for? for public servers only?

1 hour ago, jakuza said:

Thanks, I think. I don't really know who you're aiming your frustrations at. This is a community of people that make maps because it's fun, with an extremely slim chance of compensation. If actual pro players would like to volunteer their critique of countless grayboxes that will in most cases never be released, I'd applaud them for it. Maps don't get exposure unless they look good, and only then do they have a chance at receiving the high-level feedback you're talking about.

I am not able to write on this site without being frustrated? So the maps people built for this competition was only for fun with compensation if lucky? What i read from the article this maps will be on the faceit hub and as far as i know most people on faceit play competetive cs? Is it not supposed that the maps that are created should actually be played in the professional scene? Otherwise i dont know why casters etc should judge the maps? The goal was probably to get the maps to be played from everyone, both people who compete in cs and people who just plays for fun. 

Well, nvm then, people gets to butt-hurt when writing anything that they does not want to hear on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...