DMU222

Corona Virus

In my uni there have been two confirmed cases. They are discussing wether or not to close it for the moment. Nevertherless, they are already cancelling all events which have 100 or more ppl.

They just decided to suspend all classes and activities here. They are afraid that if more ppl get sick, the health care system is going to  be overloaded.

Edited by 0kelvin

55 minutes ago, 0kelvin said:

They just decided to suspend all classes and activities here. They are afraid that if more ppl get sick, the health care system is going to  be overloaded.

And that is the reason they are trying to have everyone to quarantine, or at least to avoid public spaces, so we can all slow down the pace that this thing is propagating. If it slows down, then health services can more or less easily keep up with it, if not... then, all hell breaks loose, like Italy, where you're seeing bodies taking days to get picked up from their homes, and doctors having to decide who gets to live or die. That's shit out of a fucking dark sci-fi movie,  the number of new infections needs to go down, asap.

Hospital's all over the world are having people wait on the parking lots, inside their cars for hours... until they can call people in and have them checked.

I think next week, you're gonna starting seeing more and more countries adopting lockdowns. Even here in the US, they'll for sure restrict domestic travel for a while.

1 hour ago, 0kelvin said:

Where’s “here”? 😇

49 minutes ago, [HP] said:

I think next week, you're gonna starting seeing more and more countries adopting lockdowns. Even here in the US, they'll for sure restrict domestic travel for a while.

I watched the Trump press event last night and was very weird*, I don’t understand… this partnership with private mega corps does it mean you are getting free tests in Walmart’s parking lots?

*It was weird, at least to me, because I’ve never seen using private companies in this way, and setting them all lined up like that felt like watching an Apple keynote, rather than a political press event

16 minutes ago, blackdog said:

*It was weird, at least to me, because I’ve never seen using private companies in this way, and setting them all lined up like that felt like watching an Apple keynote, rather than a political press event

The US is a weird capitalist country that way. A national healthcare like most countries have doesn't exist, so the best and easiest way to make testing easy and fast for everyone, is to invest and inject $$$ in these big and private companies, and hope they'll self organize and get the job done. 

There's good and bad things about that, only the future will tell the outcome of this mess.

Well, starting to work from home tomorrow. This is gonna be interesting. 

Canada closed its borders today to anyone that is not a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or (strangely) a US citizen. This is far from over I think but at least with the majority of people staying home maybe there is a chance we can regain control of the situation. Stay strong frens. ❤️