Jump to content
DMU222

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

Some good information here:

Not a good idea to bury ours heads in the sand now. If we are lucky it's not as bad as it seems, but that doesn't seem very likely. Events like this happen and were predicted before, and the world simply wasn't prepared for it. This disease first showed up 3 months ago, and now it's almost everywhere. Hopefully after this is over, we will have systems in place to stop something similar in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AlexM said:

Here's an explanation on exponential growth in the context of corona virus.

 

 

 

So, More panic = less spread of the virus? I'm going to go buy all the toilet paper.

Edited by DMU222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

«What people don’t understand is that this is gonna go on for months

We CONSERVATIVELY estimate 48 million ospitalisation, … 480,000 deaths that can occur in the next 3-7 months.
This is not one to take lightly

We are not gonna have a vaccine soon, that’s happy talk»

You should realise that in Italy they are not testing doctors for Covid-19 anymore, because it’s an “all hands on deck” situation and very little staff and departments are available for non-covid patients.
Doctors are working 16 hours shifts.

More importantly in the areas with most cases medical staff has to choose who’s being left to die, just like happens on the frontlines in war. There’s simply not enough respirators to help all those that need them.

The virus 🦠 incubate for 4 days, stays alive in air for 30 min, 8h on surfaces. A carrier or infected should/will infect at least two people, and they are infectious way before having symptoms (coughing), the virus levels in this phase is 10,000 times than with SARS.

Obesity is a prime pre-existing factor for complications in young/middle-age people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DMU222 said:

So, More panic = less spread of the virus? I'm going to go buy all the toilet paper.

So I have to ask. Why toilet paper over water? You can wash your ass with water but you can't hydrate your body with toilet paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlexM said:

So I have to ask. Why toilet paper over water? You can wash your ass with water but you can't hydrate your body with toilet paper.

I don't understand this shit either. Toilet paper is sold out fucking EVERYWHERE in here, it's so fucking weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AlexM said:

So I have to ask. Why toilet paper over water? You can wash your ass with water but you can't hydrate your body with toilet paper.

It could a combination of panic buying and size of the commodity: when people look for something to stockpile preparing for isolation, they get drawn to whatever they can buy in the largest quantities. Toilet paper is available in large packs so when people start buying it en masse, it looks like the shelves are emptying rapidly, prompting consumers to buy even more in fear of shortage of the goods.

It's all a big feedback loop triggered by consumer psychology.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-are-people-panic-buying-and-why-toilet-paper-11952397

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/heres-why-people-are-panic-buying-and-stockpiling-toilet-paper.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AlexM said:

So I have to ask. Why toilet paper over water? You can wash your ass with water but you can't hydrate your body with toilet paper.

Imagine a vision where you could be forced to stay at home for a two weeks. What do you use on daily basis? Water, food, toilet paper. People don't think straight sometimes. Water? Worst scenario you have tap water. Food? In worst case scenario you can order (which doesn't help when there is virus spreading there). It's just how it goes. People see others buying shit and panic. They go and buy too. You don't need to panic at first but if you see shit going out of stock quickly you just want to buy for yourself. 

Thing is stores are not prepared for a surge like this. The problem is not a supplier running out of resources because of virus. It's the stores that didn't expect this kind of demand. Actually a demand right now is close to the one they experiencing near christmas. Food and toilet paper will be back in few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lizard said:

Thing is stores are not prepared for a surge like this. The problem is not a supplier running out of resources because of virus.

In a certain way you could say that, but no, there will be or there is the potential shortage because of the pandemic (or whatever other disaster).

Watch the video I posted for the example about IV bags and meds shortage. Atm there is scarcity of masks and alcohol. Medical masks were ironically made in big part in Whuan. We depend from China so much in terms of production… they are slowly starting again but production has slowed down for sure. If is not production the problem, there are no workers to move the goods (someone needs to load and drive the trucks).

Countries that heavily rely on import (UK produces so little vegetables for example) what are they gonna do when there are no farmers picking them in Spain/Italy etc. And with chain disrupted as per above can you even count stuff will be moved across?

Hopefully I didn’t misunderstand what you mean ✌🏼 

Edited by blackdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackdog said:

In a certain way you could say that, but no, there will be or there is the potential shortage because of the pandemic (or whatever other disaster).

Watch the video I posted for the example about IV bags and meds shortage. Atm there is scarcity of masks and alcohol. Medical masks were ironically made in big part in Whuan. We depend from China so much in terms of production… they are slowly starting again but production has slowed down for sure. If is not production the problem, there are no workers to move the goods (someone needs to load and drive the trucks).

Countries that heavily rely on import (UK produces so little vegetables for example) what are they gonna do when there are no farmers picking them in Spain/Italy etc. And with chain disrupted as per above can you even count stuff will be moved across?

Hopefully I didn’t misunderstand what you mean ✌🏼 

Sure You did :) I was mainly referring to Poland. In terms of food and accesories like soap and toilet paper we are not dependent on any other countries that were struck by the pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, Minos said:

Some good information here:

Not a good idea to bury ours heads in the sand now. If we are lucky it's not as bad as it seems, but that doesn't seem very likely. Events like this happen and were predicted before, and the world simply wasn't prepared for it. This disease first showed up 3 months ago, and now it's almost everywhere. Hopefully after this is over, we will have systems in place to stop something similar in the future.

That was an interesting watch, but this shit is getting scary af TBH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...