Corona Virus

Vaccination is a super complex topic, so I'm afraid of commenting on it and saying something stupid.

I understand some of the anti-vaccination arguments/thoughts people can have, because like ThunderKeil described, choosing to administer a vaccine to your kid, for instance, feels like the responsibility is on you if there's a side effect. Those thoughts are related to the fact that when you have to make that kind of decision, the perspective is that of yourself, your family etc. not that of society as whole. You have to play good-cop-bad-cop in your mind about there being a super low chance vs. vaccination being overall more effective the more people do it vs. the severity of the disease itself, etc. (I'm not talking about extreme anti-vaccination people who think Bill Gates putting chips in your body, but about people like my mom, who just don't know what to think and are afraid of what they don't understand but have to make decisions on)

As an example, when I was a kid the chickenpox vaccine wasn't a thing in France. So when a doctor ignored our questions on the vaccines and gave the chickenpox one to my son without asking us, even though it wasn't on the list of mandatory ones, I was upset, because I got chickenpox and in my experience it was a non-event in my life, and likely boosted my immune system anyways. For that one vaccine, I would have opted out because of my perspective on it (even though I'm sure there's a case to be made that there's still one in millions of chances to get a bad case of chickenpox that leads to complications).

Science on the other hand looks at the high-level perspective and for sure vaccines are great when you look at numbers. They save or improve countless lives. But that also means that in my experience (cue that same doctor I was mentioning for instance) people who look at it from the scientific perspective tend to accuse and shame people who see vaccines from another perspective, instead of understanding where those people are coming from -- which I'd argue usually turns people off even more. There's so much stuff online about how not vaccinating is like a crime, but I haven't really seen any that tries to discuss (instead of shut down) the fear of being that one-in-a-million case, the responsibilities we have to our kids, the fact that vaccines do have side effects from mild to grave (which often gets brushed off because numbers, but must really hurt the people that did suffer bad side effects themselves or their relatives) etc.

To go back to the chickenpox example again: from what I could gather at the time, the chickenpox vaccine doesn't fully protect you (only some strands), needs to be done multiple times throughout your life even though getting chickenpox is supposed to protect you for life, and getting chickenpox later in life can be dangerous (so forgetting to get a new shot later in life can have big implications like going sterile for men). This is definitely not a black or white situation where one should just get the vaccine and shut up, but it feels like questioning whether one specific person in a specific country could maybe consider that getting chickenpox early is better than choosing to get the vaccine throughout their life categorizes you as an anti-vaxxer who just hates science and is slowing the progress of civilization.

I feel like vaccination is akin to politics these days, in that there's no actual dialogue happening, it's either you see it my way or screw you, and that's kind of a pity for the people who just have questions and concerns in the middle and aren't trying to dismiss science altogether, but want to make the best choices for themselves or their loved ones.

Anyways, I got my first Pfizer shot a few days ago, and only had a sore arm for about 24 hours. It's contributing to a feeling that this shit will end at some point, before that it still felt a bit unreal.

Edited by Corwin
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey long time Mapcorians...I come back here regularly to read...much less regularly to post.  I think now warrants a post: 1) I have several people in my circle who have had this.  (a) My long ti

Sorry to hear times are tough for you. If you get tired of UK gloom, in California there's someone that loves you... (saw that on my way to groceries lol)

She's doing better thanks. First couple of days didn't know which way it was gonna go but it settled into mild symptoms which is basically the worst case of flu you'll ever get. To say I was stressed

Posted Images

I don't think that this will go away for a long time. It'll always be around like seasonal flu. But frankly it only got this bad because our governments are fucking HOPELESS. Here in the UK it's an utter shitshow of mismanagement, hypocrisy, incompetence and the health secretary banging his admin in broad daylight while the country went to shit.

Don't forget to clap.

Fucking idiots.

56 minutes ago, dux said:

I don't think that this will go away for a long time. It'll always be around like seasonal flu. But frankly it only got this bad because our governments are fucking HOPELESS. Here in the UK it's an utter shitshow of mismanagement, hypocrisy, incompetence and the health secretary banging his admin in broad daylight while the country went to shit.

Don't forget to clap.

Fucking idiots.

It’ll be a shame if this delta variant fucks everything up because man, I’m really enjoying normalcy

On 6/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, FMPONE said:

It’ll be a shame if this delta variant fucks everything up because man, I’m really enjoying normalcy

Our cases are growing 40%+ per week at the moment. We don't have many deaths, less than 20 per day I believe, so right now, the vaccines are definitely helping. Hospitals aren't being overrun. But obviously, the more cases there are the more chance there is of it mutating and it finding a way to make the vaccines less effective.

It is really frustrating watching out government plough forward as if nothing is going on. Sure the vaccine is working, but there are a lot of people not getting the vaccine too. I guess with the exponetial growth we're seeing right now some form of herd immunity could be achieved but it'd be so much safer if everyone got their bloody vaccines. Also, with so many people getting infected again there's going to be more cases of people getting long covid, which again, is probably going to put a strain on our health service.

I'm seeing people from my school who I thought had their heads screwed on spouting a lot of anti-vaccine and conspiracy bullshit on social media.

10 minutes ago, Beck said:

I'm seeing people from my school who I thought had their heads screwed on spouting a lot of anti-vaccine and conspiracy bullshit on social media.

I’m 100% pro-vaccine, but if this thing keeps mutating around the vaccines I doubt people are going to get several different shots. It’ll be hard not to make people feel like they are laboratory experiments at that point. Let’s hope this stuff grinds to a halt soon before we reach that outcome

Man I kinda do miss listening to the JRE though, funny how the mere need to spend 4 minutes to make a free spotify account is enough to break a years-long daily habit for me

If I were a smoker I could probably snap out of it just by forgetting where I left my lighter

Getting my first chip this friday btw

1 hour ago, ┌HP┘ said:

What's bonkers? The fact that tech nerds with bad posture up in Palo alto are dictating what doctors and scientists worldwide can or can't say? Just another day on the interwebs... not bonkers at all.

More along the lines of them being so blatant about it and that there's a good chunk of people here in the US who are all for this shit and can't understand why anyone would be against it, unless you're an extremist of course :v

Edited by Bunglo