Corona Virus

dmu

Just curious to see how the Corona Virus is affecting the lives of level designers around the world. I haven't quarantined yet, but it seems imminent that everything will soon come to a crawl. (kind of like the final moments of a round of Plague Inc.) What are your thoughts and feelings on the Virus?

If you're relatively young and have no immune and pulmonary problems, you'll be fine. Children are also unaffected by it, thank god. Make sure you've got food and water for at least a couple weeks, in case you'll need to stay home. That's it.

I'm more afraid of the panic this is creating, that's the real danger. People are already strip cleaning the shelves of stores here in socal, specially after CA declared preemptive emergency state. Masks got bought out en mass too, which is making a shortage for the people that actually need it for their jobs.

coronavirus-california-sanitizer-covid19

I don't understand why people keep downplaying this virus. You may not develop symptoms that require hospitalization. But if large porportions of the population do get infected in a relatively short period, the health care systems around the world will be overwhelmed and THAT is the real danger. Those 13.8% severe cases quickly turn into critical cases, and sadly many more deaths. On top of that, COVID-19 isn't the only illness that requires hospitalization. How do you prioritize the life of one critical patient over another? Are our governments ready to build temporary hospitals in a span of 10 days like the Chineese did?

Based on all 72,314 cases of COVID-19 confirmed, suspected, and asymptomatic cases in China as of February 11, a paper by the Chinese CCDC released on February 17 and published in the Chinese Journal of Epidemiology has found that:

• 80.9% of infections are mild (with flu-like symptoms) and can recover at home.
  • 13.8% are severe, developing severe diseases including pneumonia and shortness of breath.
  • 4.7% as critical and can include: respiratory failure, septic shock, and multi-organ failure.
  • in about 2% of reported cases the virus is fatal.
  • Risk of death increases the older you are.
  • Relatively few cases are seen among children.

Edit: 3.4% CFR now
Edited by tr0nic

Well, Dublin just cancelled the St. Patrick's Day parade. GDC is cancelled. Soccer clubs are playing in empty stadiums. E3 probably getting cancelled next. Euro 2020 also probably gonna get cancelled. Olympic Games torch lighting gonna happen behind closed doors. 

Is everyone just overreacting like crazy or is this really as serious as it's being made out to be? I am honestly confused. I get that older people and people with weakened immune systems are more at risk, but the panicked response to this on a global scale so far has really surprised me. I don't remember this much panic during SARS or other similar events. 

Without any measures being taken it's predicted that between 20-40% of the population will get it at some point, and with a mortality rate between 2-4% that is a lot of human lives, and a lot of suffering. Health care services will be overloaded and affect other patients etc. It's not a panicked response, but a controlled one, to try and constrain it until we have found proper treatment and a vaccine.

Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v2.gif?fb

Edited by Pampers

7 hours ago, kleinluka said:

Well, Dublin just cancelled the St. Patrick's Day parade. GDC is cancelled. Soccer clubs are playing in empty stadiums. E3 probably getting cancelled next. Euro 2020 also probably gonna get cancelled. Olympic Games torch lighting gonna happen behind closed doors. 

Is everyone just overreacting like crazy or is this really as serious as it's being made out to be? I am honestly confused. I get that older people and people with weakened immune systems are more at risk, but the panicked response to this on a global scale so far has really surprised me. I don't remember this much panic during SARS or other similar events. 

I think everybody understimated it, or just communication wasn't good, but the sense I get from some doctor's statements is that they too did understimate it t some extent. Anyway, also young patients get it, and they also have to be in Intensive Care.

Because of all the confused messaging, politicians trying to capitalise on the event, in Italy the outbreak is exemplar and already edging on the capacity of the infrastructure in the areas that have been hit the most. Because of the lame announcements now people in the red zones have run to whatever their families are (you have weekly and monthly commuters from the south working or studying in the north) so it's likely the whole system will be tested to its limits.

The doctor's testimonies that are coming out on social networks make me think/imagine of a collapse alike the one from The Division... unlikely but I think all eyes on there to see how a country can be stressed by the virus. From what I understand in China the volume of new cases has started to decline, whilst in Italy was still rising of 50% increments day-over-day, and with idiots partying because schools are closed, I can only imagine the trent to continue for a while. Tonight they declared the whole company a "red area" and we are a few cases to be the second country in the world for number of cases.

A live map: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd?fbclid=IwAR3LxqX2R0wMfEpOPjhn5qUyg2ppg4Y-sKjM6fvoUZJjWmQN7LNCEZSQApA

Just take all the necessary precautions man, I think at this stage every single one of us shouldn't be taking any chances with hygiene. This shit spreads really easily, and even if you're young and healthy, catching this shit is no walk in the park with fever and shortness of breath.

Also if you're sick, simply self-isolate for a while, you not only protect yourself from infection, but break the chain of viral spread through contact networks. You help yourself and you help your community. They say for each person that gets it, it's spread to 2-4 more other people because the symptoms are delayed.

EStzIaUWkAUN8-I?format=jpg&name=900x900

Stay safe out there.