m8nkey

Hammer export to DXF

Back in my day I used the Hammer export to DXF to allow me to import my bsp into Maya to ensure assets are to correct scale. Doesn't appear to be working for me. Any suggestions to correct this or any way to get my BSP geometry into external 3d apps?

Sorry, no.

I avoid Hammer like the plague - it is the most unwieldy PoS to have ever been invented by human beings.

I hope it gets replaced with HL: Alyx with a level editing tool for people in the second decade of the 21st century, and not the 1990's.

Apps for the outburst, but I literally just opened it again with fresh eyes and nearly threw my computer out of the window within 3 minutes.

Hope you get it sorted.

The DXF export works like it did in the past. Is your geometry far from the origin maybe? In my experience it works best if you copy just the brushes you need into an empty file and export from there.

11 minutes ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

Sorry, no.

I avoid Hammer like the plague - it is the most unwieldy PoS to have ever been invented by human beings.

I hope it gets replaced with HL: Alyx with a level editing tool for people in the second decade of the 21st century, and not the 1990's.

Apps for the outburst, but I literally just opened it again with fresh eyes and nearly threw my computer out of the window within 3 minutes.

Hope you get it sorted.

That's not helpful at all.

You can convert a map into an .obj with crafty.

I used this to make one model inside blender. Maybe this will help you aswell.

Edited by Ringel

12 hours ago, esspho said:

The DXF export works like it did in the past. Is your geometry far from the origin maybe? In my experience it works best if you copy just the brushes you need into an empty file and export from there.

I just setup a scene with a dev wall, crouch height, door etc. All around the center of the origin. I tried exporting multiple times. When I import to Maya I still see no geometry in the project outliner. I had exported entire maps years ago, no trouble.

11 hours ago, Ringel said:

You can convert a map into an .obj with crafty.

I used this to make one model inside blender. Maybe this will help you aswell.

Thanks Ringel, I'll check out Crafty.

Nem's Crafty did the job thanks Ringel. I am still having problems with scale. I'm using Maya to model props and 3ds Max/Wall Worm to get my assets ingame. I have watched TopHat Waffle's mini series on Wall Worm.

Within Maya I imported my BSP and attempted to use that for scale but my props are tiny ingame. I've set my Units in 3ds Max to "Generic". Any ideas?ScaleDrama.gif.a9b51da1b741a8c44ac35abb7a91056c.gif