Sign in to follow this  
zombi

[WIP] Arcadia - danger zone

Hey, I'm working on a map for danger zone mode. It's still very early WIP. For now I'm almost done with general ideas for all locations.
I wanted to share what I have created so far, although it doesn't look beautiful. I'm trying to work as fast as possible to finally play and test it with the players, but there is a lot of work and very little time. 
Maybe after the pictures someone has feedback that could help me.

Have a nice evening :)

More pictures https://imgur.com/a/PixTsSL

20200207201142_1.jpg.9a43024b54e0ac6153dd688b0fc2c96f.jpg20200207201221_1.jpg.060a45479046a969ebf1bbe5b819ecf6.jpg20200207201309_1.jpg.21bd6276d2b5d5216259945ccc829986.jpg20200207201721_1.jpg.0eef63f3052c120a1f45faaea9d791f1.jpg20200207201438_1.jpg.c93e4fd4f15960c93c060526f9d1f6d2.jpg

Edited by zombi

Seems like you're off to a good start! Get feedback as soon as possible and test often I would say. My advice would be to make sure your locations are evenly spaced and distributed across the map. Also, try to have a mix of differently sized ones, with 2-3 that stand out as major locations. I saw you were doing instances of buildings? That's already a smart move. Good luck, man!

Edited by Radu

30 minutes ago, Radu said:

Seems like you're off to a good start! Get feedback as soon as possible and test often I would say. My advice would be to make sure your locations are evenly spaced and distributed across the map. Also, try to have a mix of differently sized ones, with 2-3 that stand out as major locations. I saw you were doing instances of buildings? That's already a smart move. Good luck, man!

Thank you! This is great advice.

I think I have 1-2 major locations, town and top right corner of the map(?).

I totally forgot about minimap, so I made one quickly.

Story of the map: it's tourist town where strange anomalies began to occur, which is why the army appeared.

532228986_giantradar.jpg.8ab4a7e48184f826f1c9c1c72c6cd4d9.jpg

Yeah, it looks like they are pretty nicely spaced out and almost entirely unique. You should make the roads not only distinct in texture, but also size. If you're gonna have the main asphalt road go through the town, have that one be the widest, while secondary dirt and third types of roads get increasingly narrower. Good job on making the turns round. It looks pretty fluid overall. There's also a clear distinction between the map areas through the biomes, so that should help a lot with orientation. 

Edit* maybe would be worth making the hydroelectric power plant into a major location as well? so you can better triangulate between them. Then you'd have smaller ones as buffer between.

Edited by Radu

Few more screenshots.

There are 2 balloons in air as landmark points

TJCc96W.jpg

Finished clocktower

tiO8Wd3.jpg

Car ferry without car and ferry

gc1tgJl.jpg

Shack

ymBZANR.jpg

Autoservice

l5ztXfy.jpg

Scrapyard

pdkPA4T.jpg

Red lantern from Croatia

oWYVWq6.jpg

Concert

(there is festival on island and it's cool refrence to Woodstock)

Dl9lmS9.jpg

Lighthouse house

mw7SfCa.jpg

Yeah, it's starting to come together nicely. I like the town area with the different building shapes and height variation. Overall, good composition. Keep it up!