Ringel

de_norte | 3 Bombsites Map

7 minutes ago, S.martin said:

Within 23 days?...Woah!

Just for that you deserve a special prize.

Yes I made de_norte within 23 days.  But it was really crunchy. And I am exhausted now. I would have had one more day but my ability to think is limited right now. Couldn't have worked on it for one sinlge more hour. I will drastically limit my computer time for the next days.

1 hour ago, SirSnail said:

Dang I'm impressed by the hustle, however I feel like there's too many callouts, and bombsite c? how does that work? Otherwise a great looking map!

3 bombsites  works out very well. I found out the developer must have worked on a 3 bombsite map. Because some T's have voice callouts for Bombsite C.

It is really hard to make a three bombsite map working. I believe I manage to do so.

About the hustle. I did not worked like I had no time. I was calm because I believed I would make it in time.  Like I said I got only one time overwhelmed but managed to get over it in short time. The hardest thing was that my body suffered from it. I am 1.91 meters tall and I got longer arms and legs than the average. I need to do sports but I neglected it. Becauste of that my blood circulation is decreased. My hands and feet are cold. My hands have little wounds on the inner side of my fingers because of the decreased bloodflow. This was already after ~ one and a half weeks. + the 9 days from the work on cs_wetland right before makes ..oh ..äh more than two weeks.. Edit: Oh and my heart also felt not so great sometimes. Can't tell you exactly how it was / is a strange feeling.

I also feel like I am ill. But I am not I am just weak.  My second last compile should have been my last compile. But right before I made a func_detail into deisplacements and I missed one side. = Wallhack. I can tell you I almost cried after the last compile. I was extremely exhausted, my body on the ground but I felt proud for the first time of my life. [Edit:  I was so happy and thankfull that I accomplished this. I made something I believed is impossible.] An experience I will never forget. Can't really recommend it.

Edit: I also do weird movements with my head sometimes  and I seesaw. I guess this is a sign that my body is totally stressed.

// I had to use google translator too many times for this post. I am really not able to think straight right now.

Edited by Ringel

9 hours ago, Ringel said:

3 bombsites  works out very well. I found out the developer must have worked on a 3 bombsite map. Because some T's have voice callouts for Bombsite C.

It is really hard to make a three bombsite map working. I believe I manage to do so.

About the hustle. I did not worked like I had no time. I was calm because I believed I would make it in time.  Like I said I got only one time overwhelmed but managed to get over it in short time. The hardest thing was that my body suffered from it. I am 1.91 meters tall and I got longer arms and legs than the average. I need to do sports but I neglected it. Becauste of that my blood circulation is decreased. My hands and feet are cold. My hands have little wounds on the inner side of my fingers because of the decreased bloodflow. This was already after ~ one and a half weeks. + the 9 days from the work on cs_wetland right before makes ..oh ..äh more than two weeks.. Edit: Oh and my heart also felt not so great sometimes. Can't tell you exactly how it was / is a strange feeling.

I also feel like I am ill. But I am not I am just weak.  My second last compile should have been my last compile. But right before I made a func_detail into deisplacements and I missed one side. = Wallhack. I can tell you I almost cried after the last compile. I was extremely exhausted, my body on the ground but I felt proud for the first time of my life. [Edit:  I was so happy and thankfull that I accomplished this. I made something I believed is impossible.] An experience I will never forget. Can't really recommend it.

Edit: I also do weird movements with my head sometimes  and I seesaw. I guess this is a sign that my body is totally stressed.

// I had to use google translator too many times for this post. I am really not able to think straight right now.

Totally understand dude I pulled a 14 hour day working on my map as well, not as long as you but you deserve a break my guy, hope to see more updates!

On 2/2/2020 at 3:49 AM, SirSnail said:

Totally understand dude I pulled a 14 hour day working on my map as well, not as long as you but you deserve a break my guy, hope to see more updates!

There will be an update as soon as the finalists are announced.

Next update includes:

- between 30 - 75% more fps (depends on location) // I replaced the water. It got no realtime reflections anymore. It was too distractive and fps hungry.

- Gameplay changes at all Bombsites

- and more

Bombsite A:

de_norte_wip1.jpg.9df0008040add81866040fd9abef9efb.jpg

I made the water deeper. If you go into the water you switch to your knife, are slowered by 25% and become unable to crouch until you leave the water. //I wanted to do this from the beginning but didn't knew how to do it. Thanks to Darnias to show me how to do it.

I widened the platform and gave it some cover.

Bombsite B:

de_norte_wip2.jpg.638dc8cc6a5915bf81597465c8f7b6d3.jpg

Edited by Ringel

Love the dedication, man! But going through your steam profile description, I have to ask, what's your goal? Are you looking to create a portfolio and work in the industry?

1 hour ago, Radu said:

Love the dedication, man! But going through your steam profile description, I have to ask, what's your goal? Are you looking to create a portfolio and work in the industry?

That is a good question. My old goal vanished away 2018. I wanted to become an indi developer who works with a small team on athmosperic games or how I would call them "playable experiences" as level and gamedesigner. Games not just made for entertainment. Every game should have something that could make the player wonder or think about something. But in a subtle or even hidden way and not didactic. Edit: Oh, and I wanted to achieve this by building a portfolio.

Now I just want to create innovative maps with new ideas for csgo. But it depends on the success of this map wheter I continue to create more maps for csgo or not.

Edited by Ringel

Update

Steam Workshop: de_norte

I worked on this map 27 days now and I started at 9th Jan 2020. I am very open to feedback and constructive criticism. I rather hear someone telling me about what is not so good than hearing what people like about my map. Because it helps me in no way. And I am almost immune to compliments. If you don't like something tell me to cut it, press it to a ball and dunk it into a basket! smileD.png.cd29a57c1c72a40e1e864aff5d9f6eec.png

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

B9E5629DF380D289A094DF0201D823D06F58E2AD

Changes in short:
- ~30% - 60% more fps
- gameplaychanges on all three bombsites
- added more lights for better visibility

- many minor changes and fixes

Spoiler

- I replaced the water with cheap water because the realtimereflections were to distractive and to improve the fps.

Bombsite a:
- Lowered the water. If you go into the water you switch to your knife, are slowered by 25% and become unable to crouch until you leave the water. //I wanted to do this from the beginning but didn't knew how to do it. Thanks to Darnias to show me how to do it.
- made platform wider and added crates for cover

Bombsite b:

-replaced the red tent with a house. The tent was not high enough. Placed logs behind the house and added a stack of crates.

All around the map:

- Some minor improvements.

- added clipps to prevent boosting at a few places

- better lighting

Gameplay changes based on feedback from https://www.twitch.tv/thepoop. Thanks for your feedback! ^^

Bombsite C / Back Entrance :
You can no longer stand on top of the boats and the fence was replaced with a wall you can't stand on. // This was something I noticed by myself but told me "who cares, no one will stand on those.."

Back Of A:
- Closed the route from Back of A to CT spawn. // I also had a bad feeling about this area but did not knew if I should close one path or not.

BombsiteB:
CTs had not enough cover so I changed it.

Mid:
- Clip added to prevent looking over rocks by boosting.

Yellow:
- removed the lower part of yellow.

Water:
-Added bushes on top of Rocks so you can easier see that it is not a playable area.

Others:
- other minor things.

Edited by Ringel

I just wonder how 5 CTs could hold 6 pathways 🤨
Its a nice archievement to get such a beautiful environment in source in such a short time, but I would recommand to take some more time on playtesting/itterating the layout before you move on to the pretty stuff. 
edit: especially when u try something crazy like 3 bombsites. Not going to judge based on a overview, but the layout seems abit too much, so much paths and turns and all going on. I like it people get off the 90 degree grid, but it remains cs:go :)

Edited by Roald

On 2/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, Roald said:

I just wonder how 5 CTs could hold 6 pathways 🤨
Its a nice archievement to get such a beautiful environment in source in such a short time, but I would recommand to take some more time on playtesting/itterating the layout before you move on to the pretty stuff. 
edit: especially when u try something crazy like 3 bombsites. Not going to judge based on a overview, but the layout seems abit too much, so much paths and turns and all going on. I like it people get off the 90 degree grid, but it remains cs:go :)

You don't have to hold 6 paths. I guess most will try to hold 4 paths.

If you got good gamesense you can defend this map apart from the bombsite. If not you better defend it close to or at the bombsites.

This is not an easy-peasy map. You have to learn it. This map is made for experts who are able to adapt. We already have a noob map called dust 2.

Edited by Ringel

16 minutes ago, Ringel said:

This is not an easy-peasy map. You have to learn it. This map is made for experts who are able to adapt.

Generally the best maps play well for all skill ceilings. During playtesting Daigo I learned that it’s best to leave most things as open as possible (without forcing a strategy or mindset you have as a mapper into the players or the map itself). This way, beginners can easily adapt to the map, while experts can bring out the maximum of it. Expecting players to be very experienced and requirement to study the map by default is not a good mindset. But, if that’s really your goal, go for it 😉 In the case of Daigo, it really didn’t matter anyway.

I suggest you take Roald’s advice, and reiterate the layout before proceeding. The art foundation is there, you can pick upon it later.

1 hour ago, JorisCeoen said:

Generally the best maps play well for all skill ceilings. During playtesting Daigo I learned that it’s best to leave most things as open as possible (without forcing a strategy or mindset you have as a mapper into the players or the map itself). This way, beginners can easily adapt to the map, while experts can bring out the maximum of it. Expecting players to be very experienced and requirement to study the map by default is not a good mindset. But, if that’s really your goal, go for it 😉 In the case of Daigo, it really didn’t matter anyway.

I suggest you take Roald’s advice, and reiterate the layout before proceeding. The art foundation is there, you can pick upon it later.

Begginers can have much fun at 10v10 casualmode with this map. Casual 5v5 competitive players might have fun but without learning it will not give you the full experience.  You are not forced to have a specific  strategy on my map. My map allows a wide variation of strategies.

While developing I iterated the map many times. Very often at the beginning often at the middle and also at the end of development. I am still willing to do gameplay and layout changed. But not based on feedback that comes from looking at the overview. Because the overview does not show you all. Or do you noticed

- the path where you have to jump out of the water and thus beeing forced to make a sound?

- the area you can only reach by the help of a teammate boosting you up?

- the one way drop?

- the risky defending postition where you can see beneath the fence and spot the enemy coming from that direction at first? Off course you can avoid this as attacker by using a different route or by looking over the fence by jumping or get boosted up.

I put many thoughts into the layout and the gameplay. I am not perfect and I am sure severall things can be improved. Some may need just a quick check to tell if changes are needed. But the most will need plenty of time after getting to know the map. Playing a few full games will not be enough to decide if something is really good or bad.

Edited by Ringel