Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Tenet - new Nolan movie 馃槺

I watched it last night.

Spoiler

Couldn't understand shit. The sound is horrible and loud. Everyone is either whispering, or talking through masks or telephones. The pacing of the movie is ridiculous. It's 2.5 hours of non-stop dialogues and industrial horns and action scenes. There are no slow moments so you can try to digest what you are watching.聽The plot sounds really dumb deep down, with some horrible pseudo-science to try to justify things (unlike Interstellar that was "stellar" in this regard). The movie is聽overly complicated, maybe he was trying to to make it seem more than it really is. There's no character development at all, nor they even explain where the hell the characters聽come from, and what their motivations are. Nothing makes聽sense. This is one mess of a movie. I thought of walking out in the middle of it, something I've never done, but I was聽too stubborn to do so.

Final Minos rating: 4/10

I was going to bump the topic cos I've finally聽seen it Sunday night and I went "fuuuuuuk". Both in the good and bad sense.

As @Minos聽says (and I've been told) the audio mix is quite unfortunate (at first I thought was a problem with the 4DX projection*), not sure if they were thinking of making this feel "realistic", but the dialogues are too muddled with the ambient noises, to the point even my partner struggled to understand many dialogues, so is not just my second-language nature talking here. This is聽a big problem because the movie a constant barrage of either information or action, so there's not really time to digest what just happened.

We walked out with the feeling we got the gist of the story (which I kinda confirmed watching the explainer below) but felt very unsatisfied by not being able to grasp the whole thing. I can't say I didn't like it, after all聽I felt I understood this better than Interstellar, and I've just been thinking of it in the background a lot, trying to figure out the kinks of the story.
I wonder if I feel this way thanks to having played Quantum Break and read聽the booklet that came with it, which explains concepts that are shared here.

I also wonder if this would have worked better in a mini-series format, expanding to give the proper pauses to allow the audience to digest the info.

*An aside on watching 4DX films: it was pretty cool, although it feels overdone at some points. I really liked the way the seats follow the camera at points, at the very beginning for example the camera leans in the scene and the chairs follow the movement to great satisfaction. They have this compressed air jets behind your head that simulate projectiles whizzing near the main character's head, but I think it would be much better if the chairs had tweeters in the head rest to allow for some positional audio.

There's an official behind the scenes as well

Edited by blackdog

I haven't seen it yet, but reading Minos' and blackdog's comments I already got the feeling that the movie was "all over the place" by just watching the trailers. It just looks like a ton of random action scenes compiled together with no coherence or story. I must have watched like 3 trailers about the movie now and I still don't know wtf it's about or why I should give a shit.

20 hours ago, kleinluka said:

I haven't seen it yet, but reading Minos' and blackdog's comments I already got the feeling that the movie was "all over the place" by just watching the trailers. It just looks like a ton of random action scenes compiled together with no coherence or story. I must have watched like 3 trailers about the movie now and I still don't know wtf it's about or why I should give a shit.

I wouldn't say it's all over the place, but [after watching more videos analysing the timeline聽or more general plot devices聽shared in this type of film] it seems that even once you turn this inside out and feel you understand the mechanics, you still have to wave your hands and just suspend your disbelief...

This is one of those movies that I couldn鈥檛 tell what was going on in the trailer and it would either prove out that it was good or confirm that it made no sense. Seems like the latter!

Luckily for Nolan, I think this was the best possible time to release a dud of a movie into theaters, COVID is the ultimate excuse.