[CS1.6] Dust 2 2020

On 2/27/2020 at 11:50 PM, fewseb said:

Not even close, the Original dust was based off screenshots for one of the versions of TF2. Which itself was based of a generic middle eastern theme.

I've looked into this at length now, and cannot find anything to support the idea that De_Dust2 is located in the middle-east, but on the other side of Africa.

1 hour ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

I've looked into this at length now, and cannot find anything to support the idea that De_Dust2 is located in the middle-east, but on the other side of Africa.

OK where specifically did you find information that the original dust2 by Dave Johnson was set in Morocco. We know the Original CSGO and Source version are set in "generic middle eastern country" because of the poorly translated Arabian text found on both versions. What about the Original dust2 is anyway makes it seem as if its set in Morocco

On 2/26/2020 at 7:13 PM, fewseb said:

The original CSGO dust2 was not set in Morocco, it was very clearly going for the "Iraqistan" vibe as evident by the mosque on dust 1 and the various signs and graffiti in arabic across both maps. Also why they used the IDF as ct models. Mirage is also based off Morocco and on that map they used frensh and arabic to get they point across, but also didnt use the IDF as their ct models. Current CSGO Dust 2 is very clearly base on Morocco.

Mirage uses SAS CTs, which are UK, not French. (I can remember the GIGN only used in Cache tbh)

The point to determine the location is not in the Arab language but French: France colonised a big chunk of Africa but mostly the western coast… looking at architecture you can really think only of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia as reference. A quick search of “Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia fortress” shows the closest architectural similarities are with Morocco really, although they (unfortunately) didn’t capture any distinguishable landmark from that beautiful country and overall is a very loose adaptation.

According to logic, the IDF shouldn’t have anything to do in ex-French colonies because they are a continent’s away. It made some sense before*, as was clearly set in neighbouring countries, but the current choice of CT team doesn’t make sense, I think Valve kept IDF just for consistency (what players are used to) and not for fidelity.

*in reality they should have never wasted time on the IDF force, when is the last time you heard of Israeli forces support any NATO operation? Considering the number of maps set in Italy they could have rather created models for that.

Edited by blackdog
26 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Mirage uses SAS CTs, which are UK, not French. (I can remember the GIGN only used in Cache tbh)

The point to determine the location is not in the Arab language but French: France colonised a big chunk of Africa but mostly the western coast… looking at architecture you can really think only of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia as reference. A quick search of “Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia fortress” shows the closest architectural similarities are with Morocco really, although they (unfortunately) didn’t capture any distinguishable landmark from that beautiful country and overall is a very loose adaptation.

According to logic, the IDF shouldn’t have anything to do in ex-French colonies because they are a continent’s away. It made some sense before*, as was clearly set in neighbouring countries, but the current choice of CT team doesn’t make sense, I think Valve kept IDF just for consistency (what players are used to) and not for fidelity.

*in reality they should have never wasted time on the IDF force, when is the last time you heard of Israeli forces support any NATO operation? Considering the number of maps set in Italy they should have created the models for that.

Alright and yeah I agree. Mirage is obviously set in Morocco, new dust2 is set in Morocco, the only thing im contesting is that the original CSGO version was set in a generic Arabian nation, the other guy thinks that both it and the original 1.6 dust2 were also set in Morocco.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:27 PM, fewseb said:

Alright and yeah I agree. Mirage is obviously set in Morocco, new dust2 is set in Morocco, the only thing im contesting is that the original CSGO version was set in a generic Arabian nation, the other guy thinks that both it and the original 1.6 dust2 were also set in Morocco.

This is a Valve response (Jess Cliffe, co-creator of Counter-Strike) to the question as to whether the game/level/map was originally based in Morocco, and that bringing the new revamped version of de_Dust2 was attempting to return to that location as best it could.

Unless DJ himself wishes to get on a train from Suffolk to my yard and tell me otherwise, I'm going with this as the basis for my answer.

As always, I humbly stand to be corrected - and again, I do apologize for my earlier misunderstanding.

9 hours ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

This is a Valve response (Jess Cliffe, co-creator of Counter-Strike) to the question as to whether the game/level/map was originally based in Morocco, and that bringing the new revamped version of de_Dust2 was attempting to return to that location as best it could.

this?

wrong.JPG.f96c1fa95b8a8be23234d35a77804fdd.JPG

Because thats him confirming that the remake is set in Morcco, the other part about the Original go version being set somewhere in the Maghreb may or may not have been answered here. Either way the original GO version being set in the Maghreb was decided later on past its initial development during Operation Vanguard. Also the Maghreb consists of 5 countries, so saying that the Original was definitely set in Morocco just because its in the Maghreb is not accurate.

Also Jess Cliffe didnt have any part in developing the Original dust theme wise. Unless he somehow knows that TF2 map Dave Johnson based dust1 off of was set in Morocco and there for dust1 is technically based of Morocco, then the very first dust is still set in Generic Middle Eastern County™️

So, we don't know?

Someone call Dave, and get him to confirm one way or another as to the original locality of de_dust2, because this is not gonna go away anytime soon.

I know "3kliksphilip" is on here sometimes, he might have a hotline to contact DJ on this...

This, is getting to be an interesting point of contention about one of the most famous maps ever made - <3 all

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

I've made too many changes to count, but I've finally released the map today and exactly 20 years after the release of the original. Notable features include a model for visuals beyond the playable area and breakable awnings which respawn every round. I've sacrificed the dumb hallways for the sake of more rooftop access. You can get to most areas in this map, expect to get killed from the stupidest camping spots ever. There is also a map designed for competitive play which should mostly be the same to the original layout.

https://gamebanana.com/maps/215430

604ce3c7a227a.jpg604ce3c622aa6.jpg604ce3c758816.jpg604ce3bbb89f5.jpg604ce3b810e45.jpg604ce3bdc82c5.jpg604ce3be99c91.jpg604ce3bcb149c.jpg604ce3bdbe82a.jpg604d4da62fb82.jpg604ce3bf37576.jpg604ce3b46ed68.jpg604ce3c7070d6.jpg604ce3b3a8267.jpg604ce3b18b702.jpg604ce3b3a265b.jpg604ce3b4e1294.jpg604ce3b4c6a74.jpg604ce3c2a2eb5.jpg604ce3c4abfb0.jpg604d4da70e55e.jpg604dacf768b63.jpg

Edited by seedee