zastels

Life Lessons for the Next Generation of Source 2 Mod Makers

1 hour ago, dux said:

I feel others have said what I have to say but I want to chime in anyway :v Start small, be realistic, don't go in expecting the world. When I was 17/18 I'd always dream big and go into making a map with the intention of it being the greatest thing created since the statue of David's ballsack or something. The further in I got with my projects the more I realised I sucked and got super frustrated at what I was making because I was just biting off more than I could chew. My vision outmatched my abilities and I refused to accept that. So if I could go back and give my aspiring idiot ass some tips, downsize and get rid of that ego and just release it. Small maps or whatever, and level up as you go.

A good example of my younger thinking was Half-life Nightwatch was all the rage back then in the HL1 modding community, It was the Duke Nukem Forever of mods and everytime they released screenshots I got really disheartened with my own work and just binned it and started over. I was always comparing myself to people with far more experience and ability at the time. What I should of done is ignored all that and focus on my own creations and work on my skills rather than looking at what the best at the time were doing. I even remember applying to Nightwatch at one point as an LD, I sent in shit tonnes of my work hoping they'd take me on but they ultimately rejected me citing I wasn't quite up to the standards they required. That really stung as I thought I had the abilities to match their amazing work, but alas no. That was the spark that ignited me to really drive myself and improve my skills as an LD. 

So yeah, moral of story, finish what you start. Don't be afraid of negative feedback. Don't get distracted by what others are producing. Don't bite off more than you can chew and be realistic with yourself. :) 

Yes, this is another lesson from Source modding also. People straight up faked screenshots, Nuclear Dawn posed models to make it look like they were in game and animated.

When the mod got leaked, a lot of the stunningly beautiful levels weren’t complete at all. Some were, such as Briscoe’s nice Russia level. But there was a lot of bluffing too.

Don’t get too hung up on what other people are doing until you’re in-game and playing it, not all that glitters is gold. Even if it looks amazing the mod still probably won’t release.

It’s really hard to hold a team together, and the more talented the team the harder it becomes unless everyone is getting a nice paycheck they’re happy with. It’s OK to take inspiration from the most amazing bonkers AAA quality mods but they’re probably doomed.

Get making / get playtesting / get reworking / fail fast, learn fast. 

Screwing over the player isn't funny. 

Make sure you break down your ideas into smaller digestible chunks. 

Give each moment it's own breathing space. 

Step one would be to familiarize with the Source 2 engine, other than that I'd say you are facing the same struggles as any game dev...however modding is in general easier since you don't have to make stuff from scratch, 

I know exactly what I want to make and how to make it...I'm just waiting around...can't waaaaait! :)