Half-Life Alyx

Tisky

On 10/7/2020 at 2:00 PM, Zarsky said:

Same here....Jeff scared me away. Really want to see how it ends.

I finished the Jeff area a couple of nights ago. I really enjoyed it!

Moved into the next area and it's a really interesting setting, I have a ton of fun just exploring and checking out the environment in this game. I think my viewers are going to get sick of hearing me say "Damn this game is beautiful" :D

• 4 weeks later...

Finished this last night.

Overall I enjoyed it quite a lot and it really got me craving further Half-Life games. But non-VR ones.

Don't get me wrong I loved the VR and seeing the Half-Life universe from my perspective was amazing. I loved exploring and searching for items in VR and shooting is always cooler in VR.

Spoiler

But seeing the ending with the alternate timeline following Episode 2 just made me miss those games and really crave another mainline HL game.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, blackdog said:

A new look at the liquid shader

I must admit, I probably spent a good 10 minutes in the hotel lobby staring at those bottles. I probably looked like a doofus!

The way the light reacts to the liquid is what impressed me the most. Putting the bottles up to the windows reflects the light in a very convincing manner. 

Speaking of bottles, it was fun throwing bottles at Jeff and watch him flail around trying to figure out what hit him. That was great.

Spoiler

Also, I can't be the only one who wants to have the funky wallpaper from Russell's lab in real life. It's so pretty!

wallpaper_retro_02.png.f3917028e0ac2d8a8a0d0d294105ce97.png

Edited by That50'sGuy

• 7 months later...

I have been going through a bunch of game industry podcasts in the last few months, I had skipped this episode on Alyx in fear of spoilers but since I had to drive a bunch Sunday, I took the leap. It’s all about Valve and their project management, or other aspects of the game.

46 minutes ago, Bunglo said:

Is there spoilers? I speed scrolled to the last post in this thread. Don't you fuckers spoil this game for me. Also, someone buy me an index.

Not in the podcast, if that’s what you’re asking. I haven’t really followed the topic to avoid spoilers too, as I can’t afford/justify a VR set… I would need a new machine altogether as well.

It's a really good podcast but he's saying project as PROject and he just keeps saying it and I'm getting triggered

also lol at when they say "wow it's amazing, it only took two months to establish Alyx as a project" and it's like, I guess we're not counting the twenty years it took to think up a new Half-Life game? aight cool

17 hours ago, FMPONE said:

also lol at when they say "wow it's amazing, it only took two months to establish Alyx as a project" and it's like, I guess we're not counting the twenty years it took to think up a new Half-Life game? aight cool

Found that bit interesting as well, but I took it as a more general guesstimation, as in: it takes about that time for devs to transition between (big) projects.

It’s nonetheless a very great way and place to work, rarely you can find companies with such a breadth of branches/projects. And even then, big corp that might, don’t encourage moving around, once you’re in your pigeon hole, they want you there.

With this structure,

1. people have the opportunity to tick completion on many projects or features throughout their tenure 

2. Retention: people that thrive in this sort of environment will stay. I recently watch some talk mentioning people tend to look for a new job every 2 years (although I’d like to see where the data comes from, if works only when you’re in the big tech league)

Edited by blackdog

31 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Found that bit interesting as well, but I took it as a more general guesstimation, as in: it takes about that time for devs to transition between (big) projects.

It’s nonetheless a very great way and place to work, rarely you can find companies with such a breadth of branches/projects. And even then, big corp that might, don’t encourage moving around, once you’re in your pigeon hole, they want you there.

With this structure,

1. people have the opportunity to tick completion on many projects or features

2. Retention: people that thrive in this sort of environment will stay. I recently watch some talk mentioning people tend to look for a new job every 2 years (although I’d like to see where the data comes from, if works only when you’re in the big tech league)

It is appealing to imagine a place where you can start your own project and then pitch it to people with the potential to develop it into a full fledged thing. 

1. From what I've been hearing on the internet from multiple sources, their bonus system does force people to stick on projects until their completion. If they leave early, they don't get the bonus. So people might limit themselves to short term projects or features instead of pursuing longer term options, which might not be ideal.

2. It's called job hopping and it's fucked up. Basically, people will apply to another company and negotiate for 10-20% increase of their previous salary. The reason why they do that is because companies have fixed salary ranges, so if you get close to the top of your range, you're not gonna get too much of a raise going into the future. Of course, it depends on the company, but there are situations where someone who's been with the company for X years in Y position is at a point where their salary is the same as someone who just joined their company. And they're not gonna be too happy to learn that.

3 hours ago, Radu said:

It is appealing to imagine a place where you can start your own project and then pitch it to people with the potential to develop it into a full fledged thing. 

1. From what I've been hearing on the internet from multiple sources, their bonus system does force people to stick on projects until their completion. If they leave early, they don't get the bonus. So people might limit themselves to short term projects or features instead of pursuing longer term options, which might not be ideal.

2. It's called job hopping and it's fucked up. Basically, people will apply to another company and negotiate for 10-20% increase of their previous salary. The reason why they do that is because companies have fixed salary ranges, so if you get close to the top of your range, you're not gonna get too much of a raise going into the future. Of course, it depends on the company, but there are situations where someone who's been with the company for X years in Y position is at a point where their salary is the same as someone who just joined their company. And they're not gonna be too happy to learn that.

The prospect of pitching something must be indeed liberating.

1. Well that makes sense, a bonus is a reward for a successful project, if I have a great idea, start it and leave, then the project has underwhelming results, it would be unfair I got the bonus for the idea and the rest suck up the failure. The system need to be progressive and proportional to the project, if is a long project bonuses should be fractioned and depending on successful milestones.

2. I imagine you mean it’s fucked up that you’re forced into doing that because of the ceiling. I’m almost already in that situation where I have been for 6 months lol; was talking with my manager about progression and was saying the company has bad options, so unless we become managers we wouldn’t get interesting bumps.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m so at the bottom end of the IT salary scale that for me it would be a great reward just to be able to work on projects I put forward/choose, eventually with bonuses depending on success of those. Pushing the concept to an extreme one could treat the company as an incubator and even give a revenue share on projects (for a limited time?), but then nobody would want to work on maintaining the releases and just work on a new thing that monetise.