Tisky

Half-Life Alyx

26 minutes ago, dux said:

He does kinda look older in HL Alyx even though it's before HL2. But I agree I do kinda prefer the HL2 look of him.

I think its because of all the wrinkles on his face that we can't really see in hl2 version. Looking at his hair tho you can tell he is a bit younger :D 

I think they exaggerated his features a bit too much and he gives off a sort of a cartoonish evil appearance. Whereas in hl2 he looks like an average person, but still has some subtle hints of something wrong.

It seems like all HLA models had a lightly cartoonish appearance. I would guess its because more realistic models looked uncanny. I think Valve found a good spot where the player can connect with the characters as real people but also not feel uncomfortable around them.

Edited by DMU222

1 hour ago, DMU222 said:

It seems like all HLA models had a lightly cartoonish appearance. I would guess its because more realistic models looked uncanny. I think Valve found a good spot where the player can connect with the characters as real people but also not feel uncomfortable around them.

Yes, I find Larry to be a bit cartoonish especially his animations and expressions.

12 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I agree the HL2 version is a bit better. Overall a lot of the character designs feel weird, Alyx looks really strange compared to her HL2 counterpart imo.

Looking at the Models for Half-Life: Alyx (and original alyx ...

Half-Life: Alyx VR game is Valve's return to the series | Shacknews

Eli looks better in Alyx tho

half life eli | Tumblr

Eli Vance - Combine OverWiki, the original Half-Life wiki and ...

I think this comparison does not do the justice since Alyx models is taken from model viewer without any lighting. Also  I think it was used for few seconds near the end when she hugged Eli? That might explain why its not up to the quality of others.

I think y'all have this hl2 fetish and are too attached to the previous installment :D

2 hours ago, Lizard said:

I think this comparison does not do the justice since Alyx models is taken from model viewer without any lighting. Also  I think it was used for few seconds near the end when she hugged Eli? That might explain why its not up to the quality of others.

I think y'all have this hl2 fetish and are too attached to the previous installment :D

Yeah it’s true that some of the character models are barely used, Gordon and Alyx in particular, and those don’t look that great imo, so maybe it was just wasn’t worth pouring time into.

on the other hand, people are making a lot of memes with those models on Twitter now, so we do see them a lot :D