Tisky

Half-Life Alyx

I think a big reason as to why it gives off Portal 2 vibes more than Half-Life is due to the constant dialogue between Alyx and Russel which is similar to Wheatley/GLaDOS in the sense that there's always someone talking to you throughout the entire journey. For me, this duo dynamic felt more similar to Firewatch's Henry and Delilah.

Another thing that plays into that Portal 2 feeling is the use of music, especially the dynamic aspect of it. Half-Life has always been similar to something like Samurai Jack, where you have long moments of background noise being punctuated by music at key intervals. Of course, the fact that Kelly Bailey hasn't worked on this was heard throughout. Music definitely feels more Portal 2-like, with a clear contrast when they use the old hl tracks now and then. 

However, I would say it made up for those aspects with the more horror-like experience and macabre depictions of Xen and combine. That was very much in line to what we've seen in previous Half-Life games, maybe even more than in HL2. 

But deep down we all know what it was truly missing... 

Spoiler

image.png.312058bccba04aad85eaa93149a8955a.png

Edited by Radu

I think the humor is also very close to the one we see in Portal 2.

Basically: the joke of the very complex situation the player is asked to solve very quickly, otherwise terrible things will happen. You see that in HL:A a few times for example:

Spoiler

When you finaly find a way to get inside the ship by opening a big catwalk or something, and you have like 10 levers in front of you that seem to do complex things and you end up making the ship collapse into the ground

This is very close to what we saw in Portal 2 (with Weathley asking you, right before waking up Glados, not to read at all those levers' labels but in the same time to look for one of them) or even with the Portal VR repair demo where you're asked to repair Atlas and are overwelmed by the amount of interactive holographic stuff in front of you.

I liked the game very much but I also wasn't convinced by the radio calls with Russel. It tried to get personnal and show how Alyx is curious about how the world was before all that but didn't feel right to me. In Firewatch you don't have the pressure of aliens coming on earth to kill you, it takes its time and fills spaces that would be empty otherwise. In HL:A, there's tons of stuff on your mind already and in the end I was really intrigued by the radio calls when it made the story move on.

I'm so done with this cable on the headset. It's really spoiling the experience for me. I mentioned before it keeps tangling up, and while that still keeps happening the worst happened to me last night. It tangled and bundled up over my right foot without me noticing. I went to walk forward really quickly to take cover behind a box from a heavy combine and YEET. Headset got partially yanked off my head, cable got ripped out the back of the PC and my vision went black and I thought I had royally fucked it. Fortunately a restart fixed everything. But fuck sake man. £1000 to trip over a wire all day ain't my idea of fun. :( 

Sean = Me

Girl = Alyx

Nuh uh dude = Index Cable

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b8fe64c4dc274b8ba7

Edited by dux

Well, the cable is annoying, but I've never gotten to the point of it tangling and me falling lmao 

1 hour ago, leplubodeslapin said:

9m x 12m ?! Wow that's big!

Have you considered hanging the cables on the ceiling ?

s-l400.jpg

Source / price of this?

On 4/5/2020 at 6:35 PM, leplubodeslapin said:

9m x 12m ?! Wow that's big!

Have you considered hanging the cables on the ceiling ?

s-l400.jpg

Nah foot not meters my house aint that big haha

Haha nah. About 7 of those hours are me leaving the game on and wrestling with the headset. But I've gotten a solid 20 hours of game time, easily. I like to look at the details and see if I can find anything broken (lotta gaps in the walls if you look for them :v )