Tisky

Half-Life Alyx

It's Half-Life

Maybe Source 2

Even if I don't have a VR headset (and I have no idea if I'll get one soon or not), this is freaking good news

100 times better than nothing, like it's been for 12 years regarding Half-Life

!!!

Valve is finally lifting a thumb and it's not a card game (hurray!).

Vr is really not a bad user experience. I just like balanced some bases on random furniture and everything working in like an hour. Set-up time is a non argument, it takes me around 2 hours to build a new pc. After that there are no delays (for a month and a half and going).

It might not be fun for you if you don't have the space or the budget for it. Its basically like Wii with more immersion and higher prices. 

21 minutes ago, leplubodeslapin said:

Even if I don't have a VR headset (and I have no idea if I'll get one soon or not), this is freaking good news

I was just talking with @Radu about this, basically Valve seems to have philosophy of only working on stuff when they know they can make interesting leaps/experiments with it... this alone makes me excited to see what they're up to with this thing!

Besides, they have their own VR hardware and they have to push it with a magnum opus of a game, seems like that might be it

idk I'm excited we'll see!

tenor.gif?itemid=10589612

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

It's obvious that decades in the future VR will be all there is, and I suppose we don't get there without these kind of necessary steps.

Is it tho?

I don’t see people all of a sudden falling in love with this alienating technology, whilst AR is becoming everpresent.

I think there’s more chance of a future with brain implants that will allow VR-like immersion than VR becoming as widespread as any platform/console.

I recently went to a cinema equipped with 270° screen and I must say that the presentation video at the beginning (on-rail fly-through like @Minos mentioned) felt almost like VR, I did get instants of vertigo. I’d much rather invest in extra screen estate if that allowed me to enjoy that kind of experience.

42 minutes ago, leplubodeslapin said:

It's Half-Life

Maybe Source 2

This is most definitely Source 2.

21 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Is it tho?

I don’t see people all of a sudden falling in love with this alienating technology, whilst AR is becoming everpresent.

When VR = sunglasses you can put on, the entire world is going to be different in terms of media. I know Google Glass kind of tried to do this and sucked, but I just get the sense that's the holy grail. (outside of neural stuff)

I kind of judge technology these days by what little kids use when they're bored in the living room. Right now, that's an ipad, and I think it's fair to say the whole ipad/iphone revolution was the last big "woah" moment for consumer tech. If it got to the point where they were wearing glasses that would be about the same convenience level.

20 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

When VR = sunglasses you can put on, the entire world is going to be different in terms of media. I know Google Glass kind of tried to do this and sucked, but I just get the sense that's the holy grail. (outside of neural stuff)

Oh sure, if they can get VR to be as compact as what AR glasses already can be, then I agree that “everyone” would be happy to enjoy that ✌🏼 

I’m excited about this simply due to the fact that whenever Valve releases a Half-Life game it tends to bring something revolutionary to the industry. I think/hope this could mean a new type of VR experience, the kind that everyone has always dreamed of. Anything less would be a disappointment especially since they are using the Half-Life brand.

Stoked.

Ooh, what if there are lots of interactions with the enemies other than shooting them. Like, headcrabs jumping on your head instead of just scratching you, and pulling them off. Maybe you could steal a combine's gun out of his hands. Manually plugging in batteries to your HEV suit? They've really got a huge opportunity to make a truly immersive VR game. I'd also love to examine high-resolution models of all the weapons and combine dropships and stuff.

54 minutes ago, mtchromatic said:

Ooh, what if there are lots of interactions with the enemies other than shooting them. Like, headcrabs jumping on your head instead of just scratching you, and pulling them off. Maybe you could steal a combine's gun out of his hands. Manually plugging in batteries to your HEV suit? They've really got a huge opportunity to make a truly immersive VR game. I'd also love to examine high-resolution models of all the weapons and combine dropships and stuff.

Not sure if it's the case, but I imagine you'd want to avoid requiring the player to move his hands too close to his head just to prevent any situations where you hit yourself and/or damage the equipment.

Edited by Radu

< 24 hours to go. I am cautiously excited.

Its going to be very easy to criticize the game because its half life and because its valve, the standards are of course already far too high.

If you're not interested in VR already it likely wont do very much for you past the game, so I wouldn't take a index for it.

If you are interested because its half life, the additional costs needed for vive/index isn't much of a step up from previous generations, you can get an equivalent and sometimes better experience through the cheaper options if you just want to play this game. 

That's my recommendations if anyone is on the fence about buying a vr for this.