Tisky

Blizzard suspends Hearthstone player for Hong-Kong support.

But I have to admit, it is getting tiresome to see this kind of shit happen so often. It feels like every other week or so there's some new drama revolving something in the games industry. And I have to ask, how do the other non-gaming companies and organizations manage? Do they simply have better PR people? Is this something to do specifically with this industry? Maybe it's because I don't really follow with other stuff as closely. Also, people being surprised that big corporations are more interested in money and statistics more than anything else.. But maybe this proof of the prevalent bad leadership we have in general.

Honestly, that Hearthstone player probably didn't even realize that he would provoke Blizzard to take some sort of action. I think he thought it was going to be something cute and would earn him some good faith from HK fans. Did Blizzard react accordingly? I don't think so. If you look at every other sports event, players usually get a warning when they do something that isn't approved like a fault, swearing, etc But at the same time, Blizzard did have to do something because it didn't want to create the impression that it's taking a political stance to what's happening in HK. Ironically, they did end up making a political statement and a bloody bad one too. This is why I'm asking, how do other companies manage these situations? It honestly feels like the people handling these decisions are either incompetent or don't care about the public perception. Also have to ask, is this really gonna damage them? Look at EA and what a bad image it's gotten over the years, yet it seems to be doing quite fine.

This stuff does not surprise me anymore. People will bitch for paragraphs about a simple moneygrab. They are not going to change because their games are irreplaceable. I mean how deep are you going to look into this shit. They are not going to change unless they have to. Indie devs are the future of good games as far as I'm concerned.

13 hours ago, Radu said:

But I have to admit, it is getting tiresome to see this kind of shit happen so often. It feels like every other week or so there's some new drama revolving something in the games industry. And I have to ask, how do the other non-gaming companies and organizations manage?

Not talking about the current Blizzard situation here, but 90% of the gaming related drama only exist on the internet and have no real impact on the industry itself. There is such a huge disconnect on how and why things are done in reality and how it's perceived by gamers online. I guess that can be said by most drama we hear about nowadays.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:18 PM, Radu said:

It honestly feels like the people handling these decisions are either incompetent or don't care about the public perception.

Hmmmm

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

We can now bash them for changing their mind 😬

https://twitter.com/i/events/1182826302761398275

My point does not even involve motivation. Whether they are wrong are right, we are not going to change their business model or actions through words. Losing players and sales is the worst thing that can happen to them; EA got voted the worst company in america and still rakes in healthy profits. Bad pr is pretty much a joke for these big companies.

Also Americans have a disease that involves rationalizing putting customers second claiming "business is business". Like apple keeping an inferior proprietary port just to squeeze out a few million more.

Edited by Interfearance

2 hours ago, Interfearance said:

Also Americans have a disease that involves rationalizing putting customers second claiming "business is business". Like apple keeping an inferior proprietary port just to squeeze out a few million more.

Thats less an American problem and more a corporation problem

@fewseb I have found acceptance of companies being extremely anti consumerist to be rampant here. Of course companies will act like this anywhere, but there really are Americans nuts enough to think that capitalism is a balanced economic/political system. It's come to the point where billion dollar companies are paying less taxes than delis because they do things like pay wages in company shares.