I've made some more progress with rock gardens and a staircase. These will eventually replace some larger areas alongside the building walls and sloped surfaces to add a whole lot more natural setting to the map. They won't be at the main keeps or central square to keep it more authentic to the original reference, but since everything around it is completely artificial, I'd figured it would be nice to implement the typical Japanese gardenesque style around the castle. Below are some images (still WIP)!

de_daigo_b2_2_wip_gardenrocks0001.jpg

de_daigo_b2_2_wip_gardenrocks0002.jpg

de_daigo_b2_2_wip_gardenstairs0001_36eab

7 hours ago, CommonCrayon said:

Looks Great! Hope you're still working on it and Good Luck!

Thanks man! Don't worry, I'm working on it on a regular basis, but a few things (including moving to a new place) are currently on the planning, making consistent contributions just a little slower for the moment. I have no fixed ETA, but I'm hoping to finish a first playable test sometime mid-october.

Edited by JorisCeoen

Here's a final image I'd like to share, however do bear in mind that all of it is still WIP and incomplete.

de_daigo_b2_2_wip_outside-spawnt000_0cee

Before anybody shoots me down, the rose flowers are all prop_details and is just a test to see what the effect would be by adding flowers to the ground level. I already decided I won't do this because it would hinder gameplay and visibility considerably (not even talking about how distracting they would be during play). However, I will be adding flowers closer to and on top of the stones, with some additional grass detail etc... you know the drill.

I've also realised that the newest prop_details aren't worth implementing in a competitive defusal map as it's too expensive, overkill and 'complicated' to use (I could generate the flow and scatter maps easy, but it's just easier to use large prop_static's). Instead, I'll be using a plugin that can scatter flower and grass props in a procedural way (a million thanks to Shawn Olson!).

This will be the final image I'll share before completion because I've reached a breakpoint in development where things will speed up as I finally can start to simply update all older assets and replace them with the good stuff. Once everything will be in order, I will do some more compiles to make sure all colors are matching and that the atmosphere is enjoyable. All final details such as small props, displacement alpha blending of almost all remaining unimportant wall displacements and visual fodder will be done after some more testing, but eventually I'm hoping to close development of the map somewhere at the end of November 2020.

Edited by JorisCeoen