Oh man. We picked the same theme. But you look much better at this point! But good luck, your map looks very promising!

34 minutes ago, JorisCeoen said:

With the contest being over for many entries, is it possible to move these out of the current category (into 3D). I’d like to continue working on the map once I’m back from holidays, and don’t want to clutter the contest forums when posting later on.

They usually do that once the contest is completely over

So, I've decided to tackle this project once more, due to a particular request. I've thus finished an important asset that I have created both as part of the project, but also as an exercise to learn procedural design for both modeling and texturing (to ensure that I can change anything and any part of both the models and textures visually, at any time going backwards or forward, and without destroying the creative hierarchy of the asset). Not only was this an eye-opener because it allows for endless possibilities, but it also allows you to have the precise mathematical information for depth, normal mapping, phongmasking and more importantly -regarding this case- blendmodulate textures.

Below is an example of the new basewall rock texture, and its blendmodulate texture that was created based off the Render-to-Texture procedurally generated model:

daigo_showcase_displacementeffect00.gif

It's hard to explain just how much procedural design changes the way you look at creating pretty much anything, but it makes so much more sense to the point that I don't see myself going back to photoshop or GIMP at almost any step in the creative process any longer. Creating textures from reference images is nice, and you can achieve some nice results, but if you want the power to do just anything you want with no artificially generated information, procedural design is the way to go. Substance Designer and B2M are really great, and you can do awsome stuff with it, but deriving textures from actual geometry that can also procedurally change is one step further that's nothing short of being amazingly perfect.

I also want to stress how much more detail there is to this procedural texture, which is only 1024x1024, compared to the one there is in the current version of Daigo, which is a whopping 2048x2048 and physically generated off a reference image. It's just ridicilous.

The goal with the blendmodulate texture is to allow for a wide variety of blending between the plaster walls and the stone, while also having other blend possibilities between this 'blendline'. This removes the need for a wall made out of a tesselated model, breaks the repetitive pattern of the texture, is cheap, and also saves up huge amounts of mb's in filesize while also being less straining on the eyes. Not to mention, since they are displacements, I can easily change the shape in a fine way to make it look a little more natural as opposed to completely 'flat'.

Once the whole project is over I'd love to go more in-depth in the whole process of achieving all of this entirely in 3DS Max and export it easily with Wall Worm, but for now I'll continue fixing the remaining things in the map and hopefully get a new playable testversion sometime around the 8-10th of May.

Daigo has been updated, (B2_1) and a lot of changes have been made since the last version (B2). I don't feel like it's worth mentioning the changes, because most of them will be irrelevant in the future. I've updated the original post with images of Daigo's current state, but it'll undergo such big changes that it's not really a good reference any longer. I'm going to implement all I learned in the last two months into the redesign of nearly all the artwork in the map.

Should you still wish to download the map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1881843696