Interfearance

Steam will have to make games resellable?

Reading @MikeGon’s post yesterday made me think: hey, they want Steam to offer a second hand market, that doesn’t mean developers have to let that happen.

I mean, devs could DRM the hell out of their games, no? You check if is a different machine and a different Steam ID, and you don’t run the game in that case.

This just as a measure whilst GAAS systems are developed.

20 hours ago, blackdog said:

I mean, devs could DRM the hell out of their games, no? You check if is a different machine and a different Steam ID, and you don’t run the game in that case.

What's worrying about this is that it could potentially become a law. That means all digital stores would need to oblige, not just Steam. Then this could get adopted by other countries and become the new standard over time... and no, there's no going against the law ;)

Sadly I think this battle will be hard to fight because this thing going through will likely be seen as beneficial by a lot of gamers.

Wut I can get my new games for like half the price??? Sign me the f*** in!!

Even if it's just in France at first, you can bet your *** people are gonna VPN there with a fake IP address just to save a few bucks. Some already do it with Australia to pick up games early at release day because of time zones...

Edited by MikeGon

17 hours ago, MikeGon said:

What's worrying about this is that it could potentially become a law. That means all digital stores would need to oblige, not just Steam. Then this could get adopted by other countries and become the new standard over time... and no, there's no going against the law ;)

Sadly I think this battle will be hard to fight because this thing going through will likely be seen as beneficial by a lot of gamers.

Wut I can get my new games for like half the price??? Sign me the f*** in!!

Even if it's just in France at first, you can bet your *** people are gonna VPN there with a fake IP address just to save a few bucks. Some already do it with Australia to pick up games early at release day because of time zones...

Yes I know what you mean, I know this should then roll out to every store…

(otherwise [tinfoil hat on]Epic is paying this organisation to sue Steam[/tinfoil] lol)

but the argument is that the store has to provide a way to resell games… nothing says the developer has to sell used games. I’m talking here about nitpicking the sentences like layers like to do: a comma can change the meaning of a sentence.

They could argue they (Steam) are content providers, so they are not responsible of the functionality offer by what you sell (alike when they wanted to make ISPs responsible for policing the pirate content).

I don’t like DRMs but if something like this comes to pass I’d like devs to at least try, would be a nice FU.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:30 PM, MikeGon said:

Even if it's just in France at first, you can bet your *** people are gonna VPN there with a fake IP address

This was literally the first thing I thought of when I watched the video.

There are so many words being thrown around, but ultimately the motives and actors are irrelevant because we all know what the outcome of such a verdict will be. Once again, Steam is appealing, so if they don't win, they are most likely going to leave France.