Soldat Du Christ

Exotic Castle map Work in progress pictures...

40 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

I really don't care to discuss this, A lot, and I mean a lot, of the CS community already ignores most of mapcore, and there's very little anyone can do to change that by listening to me rant about it. Popularity isn't form of quality, 4 clover layouts with different models aren't interesting to play, and mapcore, same as reddit, falls into the very flawed "looks good" mentality. That's just the inherit way social media works and there's really no way to change it outside of removing everything that makes mapcore popular. But everyone knows that already.

I've been talking with a lot of people who have left the SourceEngine mapping community for various reasons and had a lot more fun making maps because of it, or got back to making maps because they left. And I can't blame them, social media is only popular if it enforces it's popularity. Places like Mapcore or r/mapmakers really hurt map making scene for anyone who does it out of wanting to make good maps, but again, most people know that already. Hell, as potato mentioned, nobody even mentioned the map itself before going straight into toxic accusations and unhelpful heckling.

Anyways the castle map should be made in hammer if not only for convenience's sake.

If everyone is stuck making awful maps, just make a great one, win the contest and get into the game then. 😄

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

I think you are missing the point here. 
What makes map popular? Popular map becomes popular because players play it. Why do they play the map? Because they enjoy playing it. I really can't think of any other reason for the map to be popular rather than being a good map that players enjoy. I don't think you are in the position to say which map is good and which is not. It's the player base and their time spent on the map.

Yeah that's correct. Now riddle me this, why are these very same contest winners disliked by the community?

I really don't care to discuss with someone who is clearly arguing out of bad faith. Just PM me or so

mething, idk how mapcore works. Just don't fill this thread with praises of mapcore for no apparent reason.

5 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

Yeah that's correct. Now riddle me this, why are these very same contest winners disliked by the community?

I really don't care to discuss with someone who is clearly arguing out of bad faith. Just PM me or so

mething, idk how mapcore works. Just don't fill this thread with praises of mapcore for no apparent reason.

lol calm the f down mate youre being hypocritic here

5 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

Never heard about anyone disliking anyone who was in top 4 in latest contest.

No idea which community are you talking about. Is it a csgo community in overall? I dont think they give a shit who the creator is. They just want to play the map. You talking about mappin community? I think mapcore has a very healthy community. At least the top guys who are working on maps and can actually deliver.

Without radar, it's hard to judge exactly how the gameplay is going to play out. Theorycrafting isn't all that great, but being able to tell where each bombsite is can help a ton. That isn't to say that the map and concept look great! An actual historic castle is a great environment to make a level out of, and could lead to some crazy twists in gameplay 😃

On the topic of using another engine, all I can say is that IF you were to use a different engine at all (for more controls or more versatility in creating your blockout), then I can only advice you to use -or have used- Wallworm and its plugin called Corvex for 3DS Max. This was literally designed to create brushes in the most crazy ways that are simply not possible to do in Hammer. And if it were possible, you can do the same work that would take months, in literally a day or a few days instead.

Regardless, everyone has their own ways of working, so I don't see the problem of him using a different engine if it allows him to reach his goal. I'm excited to see the progress of this entry and the results in the final version of the greybox, and later on the map itself 😄

On 11/25/2019 at 8:10 AM, Tynnyri said:

Mapcore is flawed as a system. It rewards people clicking on your greybox that looks cool over greybox that plays well. Many people who describe themselves "environmental designers" hastily make maps that then win big contests like these, get accepted into the game/esea/faceit and nobody likes them because they weren't created by a level designer, but an environmental designer.

Ok Boomer.

Now back to topic, the bombsite on the bridge thing feels a bit empty judging by the screenshots, maybe add some cover in there.

Edited by JonyDrake

Update: I abandoned the project, or at least put it on the back burner. This was because of a mix of the hammer editor being outdated and frustrating, my impatience, my unwillingness to learn new tools, my incompitance, etc. 

Its a fun change of pace designing for a different kind of fps, i feel like this would have been the best entree in the contest if i went through with it. Thank you for the support and or criticism everyone, good luck with the contest. If you want to see my other maps heres my yt channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYatg8Re7_v9jLaYB33hEgw

On 11/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, Soldat Du Christ said:

Update: I abandoned the project, or at least put it on the back burner. This was because of a mix of the hammer editor being outdated and frustrating, my impatience, my unwillingness to learn new tools, my incompitance, etc. 

Its a fun change of pace designing for a different kind of fps, i feel like this would have been the best entree in the contest if i went through with it. Thank you for the support and or criticism everyone, good luck with the contest. If you want to see my other maps heres my yt channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYatg8Re7_v9jLaYB33hEgw

If you're struggling with Hammer, I'll guarantee you this: it's way easier to use than you think. It becomes instinct very quickly and has more options than appears on the surface. I respect your choice to leave, but if you ever are to continue in the future, 3kliksphilip and TopHattWaffle have great tutorials for Hammer beginners. 3kliksphilip is especially helpful for impatient individuals (nudge nudge).

Still, I'm assuming you're just going to go back to Halo mapping--so good luck with that.