Soldat Du Christ

Exotic Castle map Work in progress pictures...

Hello everyone, i made a rough block out of my upcoming Defuse map in Halos Forge and would like the communities feedback. I have only just now begun learning how CSGO plays at a high competitive level purely for the map contest, I've been spending the last few weeks catching up on the last 20 years of Counter strike and i feel like i'm ready to start making my map. 

1 thing i have noticed in the CSGO design community is how desperately starved you guys are for original, and innovative maps. So i hope with my varied experience i can fulfill that void and take the #1 spot in this contest

Top down view of my current blockout made in halo 5 Forge, Attackers spawn to the north, Defenders to the South. In the final map there will be a wall dividing the attackers from the bomb site just below their spawn, even though in the picture it looks like you can drop down

9691a9b2 1803 4c56 a5eb 0b5dc2da8458

On the picture below you can see as spiraling tower on the bottom, This position has overwatch over both bomb sites, an asset that both teams can attempt to take control of. The sand will absorb all fall damage so that players going down the ramp always have another option to push, it is a one way drop however, as they will then be led to a inclined ramp which leads up to the sniper tower.

946fdc50 621a 4ed4 b601 e96aa68b17e5

Everything is to scale, the yellow blocks represent player models placed at key line of sight engagements. the yellow block at the top of the building there can be reached by teamate boosting. The bridge has a layered bomb site, meaning you can arm above or below

89598042 637c 4d16 9df2 30dcd18a79e7

There are a lot more features that would be to hard to detail in the pictures alone, like more one way drops, nerdy lines of sight, wall bangs, and nade tricks of course. Looking forward to competing with you all  :D

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

6 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

nope, lol

Do you guys know what a blockout is? This is a preliminary phase before building the map using the hammer editor, maybe you are confused

normally you would do the blockout in the engine you are using. Scales be different etc and stuff will be lost/changed in the port.

you do you though.

10 hours ago, Vaya said:

normally you would do the blockout in the engine you are using. Scales be different etc and stuff will be lost/changed in the port.

you do you though.

Porting over is not that hard, I've remade maps originally made in Forge, in Unity 1:1. Forge is good for quickly laying out a concept like that

Yeah I don't blame him. Hammer encourages the creation of on the grid, normie maps, because anything else is a pain in the ass and hard to prototype. The current map pool in CSGO reflects it, the only map that ventures off the grid in a noticeable way is ovp, a map produced by employees at valve. All of these angles don't really matter is your map is a boring ass four leaf clover (like so many now) because you took the safest approach possible. Of course simplicity is still a huge bonus for a map so I am not saying a labyrinthine jumble of connectors is a way to go either. I'm just saying map that beats Dust 2 (if ever) will not be a four leaf clover!

Also, what if the upper bombsite is so high that you die from falling 625+ units. That would be nuts and kill the instant rotates (haha)

Why the hostility :?

I entirely agree with Vaya, this is an unusual approach, but if it is more comfortable for the mapper, let him do what he believes is best. That applies to the layout as well. A layout doesn't have to be a "normal" clover to play well. Follow the core gameplay rules of CS and anything can be fun.

I am personally really excited about maps like these. It tells me here comes a mapper with a powerful vision of what he wants his level to be. And a map with a vision, those are the ones that will stick out and around even after the end of this contest. How about we stop shutting these people down with negativity or by forcing them into our conventions. I really want to celebrate their ideas instead. 

So you do you man, I am excited for this one.

On a game play note, once you ported to Hammer, a new overview would really help to understand the layout we're looking at. It is a bit confusing right now. 

Edited by Freaky_Banana

Literally the whole thread so far has been people discussing the fact that he built his blockout in another engine, what about the progress on the map?
I'm personally pretty interested in the map since the layout looks pretty interesting :D

49 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

Mapcore could become a center for making maps for CS:GO, but currently it just stands as another bland "here's my interactive 3D wallpaper, enjoy"

If you don't think mapcore is a center of making csgo maps with 90% share in community maps that were included in CSGO across few years than I dont know what a "center for making maps" means.

9 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

I really don't care to discuss this, A lot, and I mean a lot, of the CS community already ignores most of mapcore, and there's very little anyone can do to change that by listening to me rant about it. Popularity isn't form of quality, 4 clover layouts with different models aren't interesting to play, and mapcore, same as reddit, falls into the very flawed "looks good" mentality. That's just the inherit way social media works and there's really no way to change it outside of removing everything that makes mapcore popular. But everyone knows that already.

I've been talking with a lot of people who have left the SourceEngine mapping community for various reasons and had a lot more fun making maps because of it, or got back to making maps because they left. And I can't blame them, social media is only popular if it enforces it's popularity. Places like Mapcore or r/mapmakers really hurt map making scene for anyone who does it out of wanting to make good maps, but again, most people know that already. Hell, as potato mentioned, nobody even mentioned the map itself before going straight into toxic accusations and unhelpful heckling.

Anyways the castle map should be made in hammer if not only for convenience's sake.

I think you are missing the point here. 
What makes map popular? Popular map becomes popular because players play it. Why do they play the map? Because they enjoy playing it. I really can't think of any other reason for the map to be popular rather than being a good map that players enjoy. I don't think you are in the position to say which map is good and which is not. It's the player base and their time spent on the map.

40 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

I really don't care to discuss this, A lot, and I mean a lot, of the CS community already ignores most of mapcore, and there's very little anyone can do to change that by listening to me rant about it. Popularity isn't form of quality, 4 clover layouts with different models aren't interesting to play, and mapcore, same as reddit, falls into the very flawed "looks good" mentality. That's just the inherit way social media works and there's really no way to change it outside of removing everything that makes mapcore popular. But everyone knows that already.

I've been talking with a lot of people who have left the SourceEngine mapping community for various reasons and had a lot more fun making maps because of it, or got back to making maps because they left. And I can't blame them, social media is only popular if it enforces it's popularity. Places like Mapcore or r/mapmakers really hurt map making scene for anyone who does it out of wanting to make good maps, but again, most people know that already. Hell, as potato mentioned, nobody even mentioned the map itself before going straight into toxic accusations and unhelpful heckling.

Anyways the castle map should be made in hammer if not only for convenience's sake.

If everyone is stuck making awful maps, just make a great one, win the contest and get into the game then. 😄

5 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

Yeah that's correct. Now riddle me this, why are these very same contest winners disliked by the community?

I really don't care to discuss with someone who is clearly arguing out of bad faith. Just PM me or so

mething, idk how mapcore works. Just don't fill this thread with praises of mapcore for no apparent reason.

lol calm the f down mate youre being hypocritic here