Radu

Blender

Iv been kind of reluctant to totally switch from an old custom build of blender 2.7  and with alot of ol addons & my own pref hotkeys mapped out, but have spent the last few nights getting upto speed with 2.8 (which isnt a huge change iv jst bn lazy) but there is just 1 addon by Lluis Garcia (blender to ue4) that is stopping me from totally switching to 2.8 just because how great and simple it was. 
I have tryed out Xaviers ue4 addon and although it is a good tool and no disrespect but my OCD kicks in^^ and feel with so many pulldwn menu's and naming tags it could be simplified (this ovc is just my own opinion & ovc the tool is catering for the masses + free)

Does anyone know of any other free or payd ue4 addons for 2.8 they can recommend?
(iv tryd to contact Lluis to find out if he has any plans to update his addon but seems he hasnt been very active with the addon for a few years) and my lack of python knowlage is by-far not enough to update the addon myself..

but hey.. with so much support blender has been getting with 2.8 im sure there will soon be a lot more addons & tools on the way and its really is awsome to see!!

I bought this tutorial to try to learn the ins and outs of blender modeling. However I have run into a problem. When working in ortho views in xray, the back of the mesh shows up and it becomes difficult to determine the depth of the mesh. Creating the overall form has been really time consuming because of this. If I turn xray off the reference is blocked. Is this something I just have to get used to or is there a workaround?

image.png.cee5395c4a59d2ba01aad057cedbf257.png

Edited by Interfearance

On 8/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, Interfearance said:

I bought this tutorial to try to learn the ins and outs of blender modeling. However I have run into a problem. When working in ortho views in xray, the back of the mesh shows up and it becomes difficult to determine the depth of the mesh. Creating the overall form has been really time consuming because of this. If I turn xray off the reference is blocked. Is this something I just have to get used to or is there a workaround?

image.png.cee5395c4a59d2ba01aad057cedbf257.png

I would say the quickest and easy way would to just lasso select "Ctrl+drag" the backend polys and to jst hide them with "H" then when you need to unhide them jst "Alt+H".. though you can adjust the ref image or background image within its tab to have the image focus infront of the model or change its alpha ect, you would need to play around with it for your own preference but changing the ref to "front" & "xray off" will let you beable to see the ref while still having a wireframe (like) view and no backend polys of your model showing (until you put on xray).

Officially switching back to Blender as my main 3D tool. I was looking for a reason to ditch Autodesk for years and looks like the time is now!

It's going pretty well, I'm able to find pretty much all the info I need online, but now I'm stuck... I can't figure out how to paint a normal map in Texture Paint!

I painted a grayscale bump map and that works fine, but with a normal I don't wanna just paint a "color", I want to paint like a shape that's gonna get translated to whatever color that would be on the normal map based on the direction of the face (I hope I'm making sense)

image.png.bbe30a86ca3f71140680dcf19c905ae1.png

I could convert the grayscale bump map to normal with NDO2 or something but that seems counter productive, I'm sure there's a way to paint normal in Blender in the first place, right? 😬

This is what the shader looks like, nothing fancy:

image.png.bedff5a2192b82339cf23b74d157a17a.png

How do you guys go about painting normals in Blender??

If one of you guys could kindly explain how they do it I would appreciate it ❤️

Edited by MikeGon