Donskioni

[WIP] Touristas (now) de_xenos

54 minutes ago, Donskioni said:

Hey guys! if anyone knows the best way to trouble shoot problems lmk please!!!

Ill start here... Big progress has been made on my map and i am very excited for the deadline..... but, I got to "too many t junctions" 

To start, im not completely sure what a t junction is. I thought it was func detail intersecting world brushes... but I dont think that is it... and then I thought it was func detial touching world blocks ... but I dont think that is it either. looked over reddit ect..... 

I have tried deleting different things to see how my number fluctuates.... 65547 of em atm. but this has only confused me more because the changes are not consistent. 

The thing that I thought was weird, was that if I hid all hint brushes I wouldn't get the problem and could compile normally. If I delete the largest hint brush... (across whole map cutting across a bunch of world blocks ) it would only remove 6 t junctions from my list. 
- on another note I have some no draw on some displacements .... and a couple props with the wrong prop type.... but I dont think these would be the problem and am saving them for later. 

Ill send a prayer to gaben, but if anyone can help! please! 😎

Then i will post some new screen shots lol 

Im guessing you just have too many func_details at this point, back when I first got into mapping I ran into this problem alot. For me it wasnt so much how many func_details were touching world geometry it was just that I had so many to begin with. the quick solution (though may be not the most acceptable one) would be to use propper to turn the most complex ones into props. Alternatively if you know how to model you could try and just make some high poly replacements for some of those func_details.

Edited by fewseb

10 minutes ago, fewseb said:

Im guessing you just have too many func_details at this point, back when I first got into mapping I ran into this problem alot. For me it wasnt so much how many func_details were touching world geometry it was just that I had so many to begin with. the quick solution (though may be not the most acceptable one) would be to use propper to turn the most complex ones into props. Alternatively if you know how to model you could try and just make some high poly replacements for some of those func_details.

@fewseb thanks for the response!

oh boy... and I was just about to add a hole slew more. looks like ill have a little more modeling/propper ahead of me 😑

Fellow mappers, today shal me marked in history. The day I finally create a prop and.... more importantly successfully get it in game. Haha ... this took so much effort... I made a extreme amount of mistakes along the way... but finally made it... below is the monstrosity haha I haven’t textured it or baked it’s uv yet.. just a random image. .... looks like I’ll have some killer props to come! 

image.jpg

Edited by Donskioni

Why are you taking photos with your phone? of the map, that's in-game, which has steam overlay running, that has a built in screenshot feature

Edited by Radu

Allllrighttt... 

so, having some fun with importing my props with a proper collision mesh. It seems no matter what I do it shrink wraps the collision. I would be posting my error log but this ass backwards studiomdl doenst hold the error log after compile... Ive tried to use a batch file but now that doesn't work either. 

Im pretty dam sure my batch file is incorrect. can anyone suggest a fix ;)  
other notes... im using blender and notepad ++ for my q script. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\xenos_models>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\xenos_models\bridge_fence-test.qc"
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\xenos_models>pause
Press any key to continue

fence.thumb.jpg.7f21c2a08d756bd0af0adfb98cb762e7.jpg
I just want this dam fence in game with proper F****** collision in my level 
going to pull the last few threads of my hair out by the end of the month... the pleasures of learning source engine. 

This would be something that could easily be fixed with the Wall Worm Model Tools, but if you don't have time to use/learn it, then I think what the problem is here is that the small tiny collision plane is smaller than 1 inch thick, which is unsupported by Source and thus will shrink-wrap the model as you describe it. If that is not the case, then it means some of the elements inside the collision object are not concave (also, don't forget to use the $concave tag if you aren't using it!).

If you truly cannot fix the problem after some suggestions, I'm willing to fix it for you with 3DS Max should you be willing to send it to me. I'll have it fixed in 2mins ;) let me know if the above suggestion helped!

Map starting to look great already, visually. 
I am not so sure about the layout, cant judge of course from an overview and the video, but it seems pretty complicated with the many paths and all.
I wonder if you playtested this? Anyhow, keep up the great work

On 1/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, JorisCeoen said:

This would be something that could easily be fixed with the Wall Worm Model Tools, but if you don't have time to use/learn it, then I think what the problem is here is that the small tiny collision plane is smaller than 1 inch thick, which is unsupported by Source and thus will shrink-wrap the model as you describe it. If that is not the case, then it means some of the elements inside the collision object are not concave (also, don't forget to use the $concave tag if you aren't using it!).

If you truly cannot fix the problem after some suggestions, I'm willing to fix it for you with 3DS Max should you be willing to send it to me. I'll have it fixed in 2mins ;) let me know if the above suggestion helped!

Praise be to Gaben, I got it working. Thank you for your offer! Looks like I finally get it .... this has been so tedious.... agh but feels good after a long day ;) 

Also @Roald I have had alot of testing with a small group, the minimap looks like a mess because due to some of the one way drops ect... Since the comp started I have tried to make sure game play was #1 priority.... the end result is me trying to have balance and alot of opportunity for tactical maneuvers! but i might be a loon.. ;)

fence 2.jpg

working that 3dskybox magic.... 

note: first full compile for 3d skybox... so twerking to come... 
need to adjust fog, lighting, polish ect...  

feeling good aproaching the deadline! Getting better fps than nuke atm and just need to make a few more props, textures... and polish till the cows come home. 😜 
Im also planning on a name change. Thinking Its going to become de_xenos... which means stranger in greek.... Its shorter and more exotic ;) 

level_3dsky3.jpg

level_3dsky2.jpg

level_3dsky1.jpg