Deathloop - New Arkane Lyon's game

Only a couple hours in, and I already know me and this game will be best friends! ❤️

image.png.93645c213156b51aca8ca3e9fe08b0a7.png

Really enjoying it so far. I absolutely love Colt's personality, and the use of "regular" language and profanity in the game's tips, lol. I can feel a lot of people had fun making this game, it oozes personality. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 11:33 AM, Buddy said:

I think this will Bomb hard commercialy. It's one of those games that have not been explained well enough to the casual player.

Deathloop peaked at 20,000 concurrent players, which on any given day probably puts it outside the top 50 titles. As I write this, the game has closer to 12,000 players a few days after launch, which puts it around the top 75 and about even with Cyberpunk 2077.

When it's not clear what the game is, it doesn't sell.

Looks like they didn't learn from Beyond Good & Evil or, hmm, Prey lol.

I didn't pick it up for that reason actually, even with all the extra videos I seen I still had no idea if this game is for me.

5 minutes ago, Buddy said:

When it's not clear what the game is, it doesn't sell.

Looks like they didn't learn from Beyond Good & Evil or, hmm, Prey lol.

I didn't pick it up for that reason actually, even with all the extra videos I seen I still had no idea if this game is for me.

Looking at the number of reviews and steam spy stats, the game sold almost 500k units on Steam alone. No idea about PS4, but if it's like every other triple A release, most likely from identical to double the numbers on PC. So the game has probably sold a little over 1m copies already. 

I got it a couple weeks back on ps5 and I've been having a blast! Really cool game!

I bought it on a day when I was bored and I remember someone telling me it was a good game. It was pretty great because I went in knowing nothing about this game. It took a good 4 hours before I even realized I was playing a hybrid roguelike. I love that feeling of being overwhelmed in a world initially.

Anyways it's been about 2-3 weeks since I got it and now I think I'm getting close to the end and I know my way around the 4 levels pretty good now but it's been super fun getting there.

This game does something I love. They reduce the overall breadth of the game to have a more nuanced and detailed small area. I remember Mr Warren DeusEx (forget his last name) saying something to the effect that he would love to take the effort of a massive game and compress it down to a city block. I feel like this game does that to some degree and I love it. I'm a huge fan of smaller, more detailed, ever-changing worlds.

Also I never thought I'd see the day I play an FPS with a console controller but it's a single player game and I'm a lazy old man who likes sitting on the couch and playing a game on the big TV without a lot of fiddling.

One thing I will say about this game. I've never seen so many UI bugs in a console game before. Whenever I hit pause there's a chance I can get the game in a non-progression state and have to shut it down then relaunch (losing my progress along the way).

I've got about 10  videos/screenshots of wackiness saved up now.

I know UI bugs are the worst, especially if your foundation no longer represents the final design spec but still... this is pretty rough.