10 hours ago, Maritime said:

bots are very bias towards bombsite A, i'm working on a way to fix that.

Don't waste too much time and effort redesigning your layout for bots, they behave nothing like humans so you run the risk of imbalancing the map. In my experience terrorist bots always have a preferred bombsite, probably the closest or easiest to navigate to. If you want to test their timings and approach to the other site you could temporarily cordon off the other one.

Personally I find it quite useful to have competitive twitch streams running on my second monitor whilst I'm designing/building/tweaking layouts as it keeps me in the mindset of a human player. Ultimately the only important test is getting 10 real humans to have a few actual games on your map and collect their feedback.

Update time!

After the feedback from the forum and workshop page iv'e made some changes to the layout, mainly to increase CT presence at mid and decrease rotation times from B to A. I've increased the height of the wall that separates upper and lower A and added an alternate path into B for the CTs in order to make retakes easier. A new entrance to the A site-Mid connector has been added and the ladder at A has been re-positioned. Mid is a "one way drop" for approaching Ts (you can cross back but you need to do a few jumps that aren't viable mid-combat). A ledge has been added to the space under B's balcony so that players can boost onto the balcony or jump onto it via the snipers nest area. A truck has been removed in the garage area, the trucks at A have been reworked, and cover has been adjusted.

Spoiler

11.png.878f5d9ed928550f9d88f1c57ec7e8d3.png

Also here's a potential 3D skybox:

Spoiler

1940434261_Screenshot(615).png.9afc01a6824399f3234ac4149f91d3b5.png

And finally, I was considering changing the map's name to monsoon to detach it from the physical location. After playing around in blender for a bit i made a potential map pin for it:

IconL.png.cbc6c2e9e96ad152bd42fb5ac87c9887.png

(The Hindi says monsoon)

@JackT What areas do you think need the most work? I was already considering remaking the T route to A (seeing as it's the first part of the map I made after setting up the basic layout), but i'm open to changing really any part of the map.

Recently I made a few layout changes, inducing moving both T and CT spawns, I'd also like to clarify that the second CT entrance to B and the area at the end of T spawn are caves. In addition to these changes  Iv'e also officially changed the name to de_monsoon. Hopefully I'll be able to get a playtest for the map but until then here's the most recent radar and another radar evolution gif:

Spoiler

16.png.42e841e893abc1504032dfdada1ddd3d.png

Spoiler

5-0fdf56ebe8a2.gif.484819e81c2ece38067ff6cef298c345.gif

I made a few layout changes today, but the biggest thing iv'e done was add some actual detail to the map! Mid is now semi detailed, the whole look of the place is prone to change, but it's good to get some practice in. Here's the workshop link:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1768578755

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

Pictures:

Spoiler

927797508_Screenshot(619).jpg.6e3f85eeef92dbf280bc74ac65d91a37.jpg1901216087_Screenshot(618).jpg.d889cc573308ec20096e1d5ff2ceb078.jpg

Edited by Maritime
added pictures

Not much has changed recently with the layout itself as iv'e arrived at what i expect to be my definitive layout, besides maybe some alteration at B site . Iv'e submitted a form for play testing so hopefully i make it in, i wouldn't expect many layout changes unless it turns out to be absolutely broken. Besides that there have been some tweaks to the detail and more clipping has been added.

Also, what do y'all think of these radar colors?

cb5sg-dpfzm.png.14f316e1446ea838b54bfa599b394648.png

Edited by Maritime

I've been trying to make some minor changes before the (potential) playtest tomorrow, mainly redoing some older brushwork. I've also started making custom textures for the map, includin g Sanskrit decals and hanging tinsel. Here's a picture:

Spoiler

936427174_Screenshot(625).jpg.f8ff40efbc76b1a19685a4748afd939d.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1768578755&searchtext=monsoon

also an off-brand logo i made for the map:

Spoiler

623696665_bepisindia.JPG.d9bcf01476f2dbc6555c330c457889b9.JPG

Now that the play testing information has come in I've considered a few layout changes, major and minor. The most noticeable of these is likely the removal of the main T-route to B site. Timings through mid have always been faster and I've added an idea for a boost spot in T-spawn. Since this isn't an actual change to the map, rather a radar mock up, timings and balance for the new changes haven't been tested, but they have been considered.

(Potential) Changelog:

Spoiler

• Reduced overall map size, and simplified some areas (playtest feedback)
  • removed old T to A route
  • Flipped T spawn
  • Reduced clutter at mid (playtest feedback)
  • Widened T to A route  (playtest feedback)
  • Removed right side entrance and toxic-esque room
  • removed unnecessary space at CT spawn
  • Altered fountain room 
  • Drastically altered CT to mid route
  • connected both mid to A routes
  • Altered shape of caves
  • added boost in T-spawn
  • smoothed out a few places

old:

17.png.359faad293888fe143f69b204e5375ca.png

New:

795623684_potentialedit.png.3bad4171246e195e9f9841ab25323a68.png

Let me know what y'all think of these ideas.

Since I've not updated this in a few weeks now I think it's about time I do. After the playtest of my map I planned many map changes and for a little while now they've been successfully implemented. I personally already much prefer the newer version, if just feels improved. As of posting this I will be away for a week and unable to work on the map, so any feedback may take a little while to be implemented.

Anyways here is the layout comparison and changelog! any feedback is as always, much appreciated.

Old layout:

Spoiler

17.png.e53676a136f4683c29bc249c4f383551.png

New layout

Spoiler

21.png.ce2e579d04208c0f34586c67ce766afa.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

Changelog:

• Remade T spawn
  • Heavily altered T side of the map
  • Added a boost at T spawn
  • Added cover to T to A route
  • Rotated parts of the map
  • Altered verticality 
  • Removed obstructions in T to B
  • Removed a redundant route
  • Made a B to A rotation easier
  • Removed T caves
  • Altered shape of CT caves
  • CT to mid entrances altered significantly
  • Made CT to mid more accessible 
  • T to A route altered
  • Added an alternate T to A route through CT to mid
  • Removed clutter at mid
  • Unnecessary space near CT spawn removed
  • Shortened A site
  • Reduced map size (mainly length)
  • Some detail added
  • Clipped most stairs

Edited by Maritime
formatting error

Have you played DE_GWALIOR by FMPONE? I used to play that map a lot when it was in the Operation, it kind of reminds me of yours, albeit with a much smaller layout but you should get some design inspiration from it, if not how vertical it is.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, Karthoum said:

Have you played DE_GWALIOR by FMPONE? I used to play that map a lot when it was in the Operation, it kind of reminds me of yours, albeit with a much smaller layout but you should get some design inspiration from it, if not how vertical it is.

I have played Gwalior, though I have gotten some inspiration from it I'd like to keep them relatively separate. They are both Indian but the architectural styles are quite different. As for verticality I would be fine making monsoon more vertical, but not to the degree of Gwalior.