grapen

Mustang (formerly Everest)

I knew this map was gonna be good the moment I saw the screenshots.

But when I saw those realistically animated banners actually swaying...

giphy.gif.ff4eaef310e29d98da7a027d50d02fef.gif

(P.S. Why hasn't anybody made any Mustang Sally jokes yet?)

Edited by That50'sGuy

There are a lot of connections everywhere, and while they may not be redundant, some add complexity unnecessarily. The areas are not really isolated enough from each other, and holding them is less valuable due to the sheer quantity of ways to get anywhere on the map (now that there is a split mid). I also tried a split mid before, but it left the CTs to thinly spread out and vulnerable to rushes.  A also seems very hard to hold after plant there are 5-6 different ways to get to it depending on how you count the 2 house entrances. The art is well done and reminds me of Tibet for arms race.

edit: i did run around the map for like 20 mins

Edited by Interfearance

Hey guys. First thing I want to mention. It feels great to see wind on map. Most relaxing spawn I have ever seen in cs.

WKB97qq.jpg

Layout is really complicated. I have played 4-5 matches and still don't know every route and angle to check. For example on Anubis I just needed 1 match to understand layout and probably 2-3 to better checking angles.

Here is general feedback. Ask if something isn't clear.

8Tjblxn.png

More detailed feedback.

This spot is op. I would suggest to change truck with boxes to something with basic shape and some clear angles to pick from.

yAKaQxL.jpg

You have some places with that clipping. Try to avoid that, it's not good for feeling map.

4fEIcvU.jpg

0JBzN43.jpg

Some idea. Maybe move entry to this place? I didn't analize this too much, but with entry here, you could make some cover for TT in old shop area.

Smt4TPu.png

kH5E1nV.jpg

For now A is too complicated. Like I said, after 4-5 matches I still don't know where I can expect CT's. Always I'm dying without seeing enemy. Maybe move bombsite closer to TT entry? Maybe at the top of rocks on the left? 😛 

viofFpQ.jpg

Oh, and you can stuck on this wooden thing. Also seeing rocks here is something unrealistic(?) and I feels weird to me. Maybe if you will add some damgae to the roof and dirst under them it could work.

r8f3ZeY.jpg

Map feels too big, but timings are fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Overall map is cool and graphics are amazing. You did great job boys!

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

What I really want to know is why, in the year 2020, are map makers still using that T-Logo on their overviews. That one was in the CSGO beta for all of 5 minutes before they replaced it with the current one. They made that change about 8 years ago so you would think this wouldnt keep happening.

12 hours ago, fewseb said:

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

What I really want to know is why, in the year 2020, are map makers still using that T-Logo on their overviews. That one was in the CSGO beta for all of 5 minutes before they replaced it with the current one. They made that change about 8 years ago so you would think this wouldnt keep happening.

I always use that one cause it's the same resolution as the CT logo (when you download it from the source wiki) and it's so much easier to just slap it onto the radar in Photoshop, knowing that they're both the exact same size.

Edited by NikiOo

Since my return from holidays and the top-10 announced, I've finally got the time to run around some of the maps. And, truth be told, when I saw maps like Anubis and Swamp I initially felt like Mustang would fall around third place judging solely from screenshot impressions. However as it stands now I can clearly tell that Mustang is by far the most impressive map in terms of visuals. I think what gives Mustang the edge over all the other maps is just the sheer atmosphere and feeling of actually being there. The colors and fine details in combination with the skybox make it feel like you're up in the mountains, in that cultural town of Nepal.

The optimization is also the best out of the three (although Anubis is practically on-par), and the subtle introduction of different colors, details and flora make this entire entry complete and worthy of first place. I love the tree models, and some of the soft edges on the fine woodwork. Very inspiring! Also great remix of some existing Valve-assets (such as the wooden arch of Dust2 CT-spawn for one of the connector gates).

I obviously can't speak for gameplay, since I haven't played with players, but I don't think that will be much of a problem. There are definitly enough options for both teams, and the flow of the map is very good. The only 2 small gripes I might have, are some of the rock formations being tough to read against when they're blending in with the same rocks a few ways up (T-spawn), and that the beautiful flags sway a bit too far back-and-forth to my taste.

Congratulations! Very jealous of this entry's quality 😉

I noticed while running around (And admiring the flags) that the stair clips are missing the first step. I'm not sure if you're already aware of that, but I made this little gallery so you can find some of the stairs that are missing the first stair. I only wanted to mention it because it creates a noticeable jolt in your vision somewhat. https://imgur.com/a/M1M6YYY

Still though, I love the map! I could watch those flags sway all day long.

5 hours ago, That50'sGuy said:

I noticed while running around (And admiring the flags) that the stair clips are missing the first step. I'm not sure if you're already aware of that, but I made this little gallery so you can find some of the stairs that are missing the first stair. I only wanted to mention it because it creates a noticeable jolt in your vision somewhat. https://imgur.com/a/M1M6YYY

Still though, I love the map! I could watch those flags sway all day long.

This was done on purpose, so fully aware of it. I used to not do this years ago, but noticed most, if not all, CSGO maps did have the bottom clip missing. For a long time I wondered why that was and I guess it's because sometimes the bottom clip extends beyond a corner and also acts as some sort of notice to the player when he's getting up on a stair while strafing or moving backwards. 

I adopted it and it has become my default way to clip a stair. I'll have to check how newer (official and custom) maps do it nowadays and might revisit it :)

Thanks for the feedback and the album!

23 hours ago, Squad said:

how newer (official and custom) maps do it nowadays

It's pretty inconsistent even in officials maps. In the older official maps the first step is mostly skipped like you did. But in some maps like nuke or cobble both variations are used (for no reason), while newer maps like dust2 and inferno are completely smoothed (all steps clipped).

I think they initially skipped the first step for the following reason and then adapted it for nearly all stairs without thinking about it (even if it didn't make sense.):

If you clip all stairs, in some situations the player "stumbles" over the ramp when he just wants to pass in front of the stairs. That feels pretty irritating and it's the reason why they skipped the first step (in my opinion). But this can only happen if there are no walls at the sides of the stairs.

DHozbLY.jpg

Edit: You already said it here. I should read more carefully before wasting time 😅

23 hours ago, Squad said:

because sometimes the bottom clip extends beyond a corner

I prefer to clip all stairs and add an extra bevel at the side if needed like here in dust2: (Yes, the wall clip is too large there... Valve please fix :P)

cObwWlt.jpg

Edited by Radix

10 hours ago, blackdog said:

Hey don’t be cheap, show some new screens 😜

Ha, I didn't realise grapen posted that exact angle before :D 

It's a new screenshot though, updated lighting etc. I'll try to grab some extra ones later.