[HP]

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

Many peeps and pros are saying the MP maps of the new game suck. Thought would be interesting hear what designers think

i didn’t finish watching the video they reference, when that one came out, it was pretty boring as design videos go. Didn’t offer the usual walkthrough of maps I enjoy watching to keep up on the latest COD offering.

11 hours ago, blackdog said:

Many peeps and pros are saying the MP maps of the new game suck. Thought would be interesting hear what designers think

i didn’t finish watching the video they reference, when that one came out, it was pretty boring as design videos go. Didn’t offer the usual walkthrough of maps I enjoy watching to keep up on the latest COD offering.

Dear lord, what is going on with that presenter's hands? :shock: Anyway, I havent' played the game yet, so I cant weigh in on that. But the show and tell with @CompoSITe by gameinformer can be seen here in full length (found it interesting):

I have to say that I agree with quite a few of the points raised in Blackdog's video. The maps don't seem to support my typical play-style (run and gun) and I've found myself having to revert to camping just to get some kills, mostly because it's what everyone else is doing. Also it's entirely possible for your team to get trapped in their own spawn area on a number of the maps. It's a difference between the Infinity Ward and Treyarch approaches to map design that I've noticed over the years, and always found myself favouring the more expansive environments that the Black Ops series provided. 

As a disclaimer, my opinion is only based on the 6 or so TDM maps I've played, as none of the others are coming up in the rotation currently (only Azhir Cave, Hackney Yard, Gun Runner, Piccadily, Rammaza and St Petrograd come up regularly. The Palace one has appeared once in the last few days. I have yet to play any of the night time maps, or any other mode outside of TDM). 

Edited by PaulH

I'm really digging the new 2v2 mode, I wish it had bigger maps other than the "cage" maps we have right now. I am enjoying the "slower" vibe of this CoD, which I know comes with it's set of problems (camping) but there's less randomness happening and the gameplay becomes more methodical.

So far, the Grazna map on that video above is my fav map, I like the asymmetry of the level design and the easy call outs distinct areas of the map like "Yellow house", "blue house", "trenches", "Cafe", "construction site", etc. So watching the director talk about it a little bit was pretty awesome.
My least favourit being the london map, i think it's called "Piccadily". The middle streets are too wide and the buses are placed in a weird way to make it feel like really tall buildings you can't get into, resulting in the players just hanging around the edges of the map, it looks really damn good tho.

lol @ that video by "theScore esports" the part where he says "Hey, there's also a campaign that I'm actually enjoying like a total looser!" What the fuck dude? lmao

PS. Here's the list of all the maps in the game, damn there's way more stuff in here than I thought: 
https://www.gfinityesports.com/article/1972/call-of-duty-modern-warfare--maps-confirmed--rumoured-maps-in-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-on-ps-pc-and-xbox-one

4 hours ago, PaulH said:

As a disclaimer, my opinion is only based on the 6 or so TDM maps I've played, as none of the others are coming up in the rotation currently (only Azhir Cave, Hackney Yard, Gun Runner, Piccadily, Rammaza and St Petrograd come up regularly. The Palace one has appeared once in the last few days. I have yet to play any of the night time maps, or any other mode outside of TDM). 

Interesting stuff.

By the way I saw en-passant that they have disabled night time maps before launch

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-update-removes-all-nig/1100-6470866/

not sure if they ever returned in the playlist as stated there.

What strikes me, from what you saying, is that they offer a very weird experience in terms of map rotation. Are maps voted? It just sounds broken or the way you’d expect servers to work on a P2P hosted system :|

Edited by blackdog

There's no voting this time round, so the maps are just based on server rotation, which unfortunately seems a bit broken. Though saying that I am aware about the removal of the night-time maps so I understand why I'm not seeing those, it's just the few others that hardly ever come up that's strange. In my experience it's a common issue with COD titles at launch, though not understandable why it continues to be a problem. 

I read the night maps will be introduced (or maybe already have been) as a separate playlist, due to them requiring bespoke equipment. Though why they can't exist along the other maps and require the player to have a ready-made class especially for them I'm not sure. 

3 hours ago, Buddy said:

Haha, wait, a corporation lied to you?!

I know it’s a rhetorical question, but just to be clear I haven’t purchased the game.

Anyway you must admit it’s bad behaviour.

Edited by blackdog

On 1/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, blackdog said:

I know it’s a rhetorical question, but just to be clear I haven’t purchased the game.

Anyway you must admit it’s bad behaviour.

Haha yeah of course but i'm just not surprised at all :)

I believe IW said there would be no payment required for gameplay things such as guns, abilities and what have you.

Of course they are gonna let you pay for a KD watch. It's not a necessary item or game-breaking and I don't think they broke their promise, even though it can't be hailed as admirable.

Really curious to see how long they can still get away with this.

They have some sort of new tournament format i understand and many pro teams have dropped because of cost. It kinda feels they are killing their own game tbh but whatever…