[HP]

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

Sounds like they won't have lootboxes as people were concerned of. The language (of course) leaves the door open... which would create a great fallout if they introduce it post-launch.

In the announcement, also several other good news like no DLC and Season Passes so the community doesn't fragment!

https://blog.activision.com/call-of-duty/2019-10/Announcement-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Post-Launch-Approach-to-New-Content

Edited by blackdog

Anyone playing this? I thought the single player campaign was the best it's been for many years. Nothing too 'out there' within it but back to basics in a good way, and the visuals and effects are outstanding on PS4 Pro. Multiplayer is good fun so far as well, if a bit orientated towards camping, and the map rotation seems broken (with only 4 or 5 of the maps ever coming up in TDM, there's a fair few I've yet to play)

Edited by PaulH

Played a few hours last night, made it past that London house raid mission, which is a really well done mission! I couldn't put it down, the campaign is well done and even though it doesn't do anything extraordinarily original, it does what it does relatively well.

I personally prefer games that demand a little bit more of the player than just move forward, and shoot anything that moves, but I feel CoD finds itself confined to those restrictions, it's the "genre" it lives on and dominates, but they did try to dabble and pepper it with some different things like player controlled air support, player controller RC Planes, drones, etc.
The pacing and the level design is pretty good but as linear as you can expect, even though I still miss things like health packs and other elements that incentivize environment exploration, they did a really good job with the formula here. 

The PC version is pretty good too, my gfx card isn't exactly brand new (geforce 970), and I'm running it all on max settings, including AA and the FPS didn't drop bellow 60 once. So it seems like both the PC and Console versions are performing really well.

All around, this is CoD going back to what made CoD popular, and it does so with style. Seems like that the campaign is only around 6 hours long, which for some can be a negative point, but for me it's a positive, I much prefer short and sweet experiences.

Paid influencers: "it's got excessive violence because they wanna show the stakes of things! 🤩"

Right. Or more importantly, they want it to make the news.

I mean this is obviously intentional, they know violence is shocking and especially right now in our current political climate. At the end of the day this is a AAA game so you know every major decision was made for low-risk financial gain.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, blackdog said:

Sounds like they won't have lootboxes as people were concerned of. The language (of course) leaves the door open... which would create a great fallout if they introduce it post-launch.

In the announcement, also several other good news like no DLC and Season Passes so the community doesn't fragment!

expect them to roll out the in-game monetization/gamebling/battlepass etc. in just a few weeks. They can't wait for too long, they'll want to roll that out when there's still a lot of active players.

Edited by MikeGon

Agreed with Dux. I tried the multiplayer beta, its the same stuff we've seen before. Not exciting at all to me. I have literally played that game before. I enjoyed it when it was fresh years ago, but I've moved on from the franchise now. I don't even expect it to innovate, it is a very good formula. But no way I'm spending £50 to play the same game I've played before.

I don't think comparing COD to FIFA is accurate or fair. Sure, mechanically it's similar to many games you've played before (in the series and out of it), but then what games aren't these days? You might not end up playing any game if you feel that way. I take it you guys have zero interest in The Outer Worlds because it's similar to Fallout? This COD has an interesting and well made single player component, and if you like first person shooters in general you should enjoy this. The multiplayer is also something I'm having fun with, probably because it's similar to the call of duties that were out around 10 years ago which I used to spend a lot of time on. Plus it's a decent game to play with my friends, as was Apex before this. I get it though, COD is a game people love to hate for some reason. 

Edited by PaulH

I'm currently playing Squad with my mates, which is a really interesting game to me due to the nature of working in squads, coordinating attacks and cooperating with others - its a type of game I've not played before and feels fresh and unique. Sure, its like Arma, but I never really played that. I was a huge fan of PUBG but we've moved on from that now... Tried Apex but couldnt really get into it, it felt really frantic. I think as time goes on, I much prefer slower paced games, which is probably why I didn't enjoy the CoD beta.

I'm sure this CoD is a good game, but I just have no interest in playing the same game again. I know exactly how it's going to play out. I'm not hating on it, I'm glad some people are enjoying it. It's just not for me.

Maybe I'll try it when it's 20 quid or something, but I'm quite time limited these days too. Maybe that plays a part in it as well.

Edited by PogoP

I'd pay 20 bucks for the SP Campaign, as it does look pretty cool. It's a pitty they don't sell it separately. The MP does not interest me at all, so maybe I try it once it goes on a deep sale.