Sign in to follow this  
[HP]

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

3 hours ago, [HP] said:

image.png.5f337adf4270cbeced04fbf3bc1adf19.png

lol, damn!

Yeah, this is nothing new though, with each year that passes, you're seeing the divide between the games media and gamers getting farther apart.
It would actually be a really interesting psychological dichotomy to try and dissect, if it wasn't such a political minefield, because I've never seen this happen to any industry in my life.

It'll be interesting to see where this will lead.

Yeah, this is obviously a bad look for IGN.

Gamers instinctively reject the idea that games have blunt force effects on reality, they recognize this belief is the same that lead to people like Jack Thompson trying to ban games for political gain, preaching that games lead to real life violence. That idea has been debunked, but the same moralistic panic has moved to "games cause real life racism/mysogny/terrorism/etc".

Journalists pissing their pants over every "political" comment in games has lead to a cottage industry of people farming themselves out as "X consultants", who will piss their pants about games that don't have enough "X" (hint: no game will have enough X, unless that consultant gets paid. and paying them only temporary shuts up that consultant, there is still a wide industry of "consultants" and "journalists" ready to piss their pants at a moments notice). These consultants are going to criticize every major game release for being insufficiently woke, because high profile game launches are the best opportunity to make X criticism, then shill your terrible book in your pinned Tweet.

When I used to read Electronic Gaming Monthly as a kid religiously every month, the emphasis was on consumer protection. Not in a moralistic sense, but in a monetary sense: "is this game worth your bucks?" "is this game well designed?". We've totally lost that flavor of journalism, it's all paternalistic moralism now. No one wants IGN to be their mommy or daddy, to tell them if it's morally OK to consume the newest Call of Duty blockbuster, but they know that's the only way to get clicks, to poke a consumer-base that rightly rejects such pants-pissing.

@FMPONE I gotchu but when has IGN ever had a "good look" from 2010 onwards? They are a small notch below mainstream media in terms of their knowledge regarding games and the gaming industry. They gave Evolve a 9.0 and they gave Doom 2016 a 7.0  Even from a non-gamer's pov it is not hard to see how mentally debilitated their reporters are; just google both games, and the ratings are essentially swapped in value. Game reporting is harmful to the gaming industry and nobody profits off of it except the websites behind it all. On the other hand, video game streamers and youtubers give back by promoting the game massively every time they play it. Oh, and they are actual gamers...

6 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

@FMPONE I gotchu but when has IGN ever had a "good look" from 2010 onwards? They are a small notch below mainstream media in terms of their knowledge regarding games and the gaming industry. They gave Evolve a 9.0 and they gave Doom 2016 a 7.0  Even from a non-gamer's pov it is not hard to see how mentally debilitated their reporters are; just google both games, and the ratings are essentially swapped in value. Game reporting is harmful to the gaming industry and nobody profits off of it except the websites behind it all. On the other hand, video game streamers and youtubers give back by promoting the game massively every time they play it. Oh, and they are actual gamers...

it's not going to be a sustainable industry, I don't see outrage click-baiting being sustainable long term