FMPONE

Exotic Places CS:GO Mapping Contest 2019

1 minute ago, Interfearance said:

wait actually? can I see them. I've not really seen anyone seriously try this. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and some bullets you must bite (radar).

empire + junction. Have you not looked at the workshop at all? one of these maps was in an operation...

1 minute ago, Vaya said:

empire + junction. Have you not looked at the workshop at all? one of these maps was in an operation...

Oh... I know both of those maps, one is by horse strangler I played it a bit. I actually enjoyed it im surprised it was unpopular. 

1 minute ago, Tynnyri said:

Yeah the layout wasn't why people didn't like them

please impart your knowledge

2 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

Oh... I know both of those maps, one is by horse strangler I played it a bit. I actually enjoyed it im surprised it was unpopular. 

the community depresses me often. 

Okay, I think it's time for everyone to take a breather. From here on, post quality must take an upward swing or we'll have to break up the mud wrestling.

Feel free to discuss but please avoid making things personal, don't drag specific entries through the dirt and please motivate your opinions, expain your reasoning etc.

Thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

Where do you guys find themes? I'm getting brainblocked. Everything I like is too massive in scale for the game.

Go with places you've dreamed about in your sleep. I've dreamed of plenty of locations that don't exist in real life but would be excellent themes for a layout.

Or maybe you could try and base it off of somewhere you've seen that looked particularly cool in your opinion. I mean, factories and abandoned places are cool to me, but whatever floats your boat will likely work! :)

Perhaps you could do what I do and have a text file full of themes. And just write down literally any ideas that pop in your head no matter how crazy they seem or how big or small they are. If a map set in a massive medieval castle and a map set in a tiny library were both accepted into CS:GO, then anything could work!

If you still can't think of anything, I've attached my personal list of theme ideas. (I swear I ain't trying to flex, just trying to help a pal out)

Happy mapping!

Map Ideas.txt

Edited by That50'sGuy

3 hours ago, Interfearance said:

Where do you guys find themes? I'm getting brainblocked. Everything I like is too massive in scale for the game.

go for the big scale stuff. It's a design challenge and the only way you'll progress is challenging yourself. I put a saturn 5 in a hostage map.

7 hours ago, That50'sGuy said:

Interesting hive-mind, in my ideas document I have:

• a mine concept as well (but I don't think that an open area is so easy to get a good layout for, maybe you mean it's easy to setup and iterate?)
  • a de_convention too, but the backstory and setting would be different from the open plan you have there
Edited by blackdog

4 hours ago, blackdog said:
  • a mine concept as well (but I don't think that an open area is so easy to get a good layout for, maybe you mean it's easy to setup and iterate?)

Heh, I suppose I should have written down the theme better. The idea for that map theme was for most of the map to be in tall tunnels, but the A-Site was to be set on an elevated platform on the side of a huge underground room (With a bottomless pit of course). So what I meant in my text file was that it'd be easy to come up with a layout when the whole place can be carved any way you desire. It was really just from a dream I had once about exploring a mine, and that bit with the big room excited me so much that I wrote that theme into my map ideas list.

Edited by That50'sGuy

6 hours ago, Vaya said:

now everyone knows what  fucking awful feedback warowl has for their maps

He just gave his first impressions about the maps, not his final opinion. This was for his stream not to give mappers feedback.

Edited by Ringel

3 hours ago, Ringel said:

He just gave his first impressions about the maps, not his final opinion. This was for his stream not to give mappers feedback.

His first impression for any map have always been garbage. If it isnt made by a mapper he is vaguely aware of and isnt one of the few shined on by the almighty subreddit, he tends to be overly-negative if by some chance he decides to look at it. He likes mirage clone maps because he can easily adapt his mirage skill-set to them, if it isnt similar he gets sour about it because of how much modern CSGO players rely on pre-existing map knowledge to dominate. Ive watched him for years and its the same thing every time. Similar to how the pro players immediately rejected Vertigo because of how little their previous map knowledge applied to it (though to his credit, warowl was very receptive of vertigo when they added it into the pool). This mindset that a map can only be good if you know it is part of why we have seen such a decline in interest for new maps.

Ironically Bardolph tends to have a better understanding of how to handle new maps despite how much people diss him for being poor at the base game. Rather then complaining that there are no grenade lineups because he doesnt know them, he tries to learn them ahead of time. Unfortunately its few and far between he takes a look at a new map since his twitch chat is more focused on memeing on him being poor at the regular game then highlighting new content.