FMPONE

Exotic Places CS:GO Mapping Contest 2019

33 minutes ago, ElectroSheep said:

CSGO Players are like... "People are wasting hunderd of hours of their life to make extra free content for my favorite game, fuck them !!!"

I always wanted to make a new map for the game or, why not, finishing Highlands huhu. I even started a map for this competition, even with the small amount of free time I can have with a kid to take care of. But when I read the shit talk from csgo "pgm", seriously, why I would do that ?

I think this is a good benchmark for how far this convo has gone off. I was talking about how maps today have a really similar layout style in the beginning

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

like Insertion it’s criticised and not given a chance.

Well I think there are certain fundamentals that keep the game in control like having defined areas, and they all got ignored on that map. It was cool though

1 hour ago, Interfearance said:

I think this is a good benchmark for how far this convo has gone off. I was talking about how maps today have a really similar layout style in the beginning

They really don't though, this you not understanding the nuances that go into map design. Each of the top 11 maps in the contest play radically different.

1 hour ago, Vaya said:

They really don't though, this you not understanding the nuances that go into map design. Each of the top 11 maps in the contest play radically different.

I understand this, but a lot of it is also very fundamentally similar to what we have seen before. It is hard to explain, but u can pm you the sort of layout I am talking about when school is out. The whole composition is different

Also there are 11?

Edited by Interfearance

29 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

I understand this, but a lot of it is also very fundamentally similar to what we have seen before. It is hard to explain, but u can pm you the sort of layout I am talking about when school is out. The whole composition is different

Also there are 11?

Judging a map from an overview image is the same as judging a book by it's cover. Says a lot about the person.

28 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

bro the score share was 3/4ths visuals alone

That was about interfearance saying that most of the maps in competition are similiar. I said judging map by the layout is not the best idea.

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

That was about interfearance saying that most of the maps in competition are similiar. I said judging map by the layout is not the best idea.

considering layout in context of csgo means the map's basic gameplay loop I find your comments so hilariously bad I cannot take them seriously.

btw overview image shows the layout, those two things are not mutually inclusive. you can have maps with no overview image but still have layouts. Interference wasn't talking about overview images but instead the map layouts, while you're saying map overviews aren't good way to judge a map. its so hilariously bad I don't know what to say anymore.

Edited by Tynnyri

5 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

considering layout in context of csgo means the map's basic gameplay loop I find your comments so hilariously bad I cannot take them seriously.

btw overview image shows the layout, those two things are not mutually inclusive. you can have maps with no overview image but still have layouts. Interference wasn't talking about overview images but instead the map layouts, while you're saying map overviews aren't good way to judge a map. its so hilariously bad I don't know what to say anymore.

At this point I wonder why do I even try to explain how clueless you two are but I think thats enough for me.

I will just wait till you guys can make use of your SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE and get your map featured somewhere for at least a second. So far I have seen you two making so many bad arguments and remarks about the top 10 maps its hard to believe that behind those posts there is not a single valid point or anything supported by professional experience :)  

2 hours ago, untor said:

most likely we will have to make maps for RTS or Open space games like PUBG

I don't think this is the case at all, like I have said before, there are going to be general "rules" with every game like having well defined areas, appropriate scale, and chokepoints. It doesn't mean the only way to adhere to this is by making a layout such as the abstract one you showed.

2 hours ago, untor said:

Why is that? We will analyze any map into parts. And we will understand that it is ideal for each point to have a triangular shape.

Lets take train for example. Even in the a very simplified version of its paths, it would not be fair to call it a clover layout

AZu4p8E.png.2038b900917315cd8f9ef152126dff8e.png

There is an additional loop (or triangle), the bombsites take different positions than usual on the loops, and there are also other big differences.

The bombsites are vast and multiple times the size of the plant zone, compensated for by fast rotates and rush timings. In this case the concept of a bomb site is different from any other map.

In the case of vertigo, the size and pacing of the map is dramatically changed.

In nuke, rotates are really unique, and the map is built in a way that feels totally different than all others while still being fun.

I think it can be agreed that there are not many maps like these, yet they are very successful.

I once remember fmpone saying somewhere that if you made dust 2 today everybody would say it can't work due to the lack of cover and huge sightlines. Most people probably interpreted this as a reason that dust 2 cant be beat, but I think this also shows that people are no longer willing to make radical changes to map design in csgo. Bombsite design is becoming very similar, most rotates are through a central passage (mid), and chokepoints are almost always reduced to pure 90 degree encounters rather than something like sweeping angles in t connector on train. Of course you don't have to change everything like on train,  but it would be nice to see a little experimentation rather than 100 safe maps. Big mappers and successes lead the way for maps to come, and we will just see the same if nothing is shaken up

Okey lets check other map with this rules:

base named for line - blue and green - side path to bombsites
orange is middle or path without bombsites 
pink is short connectors.

yellow - is triangle exit path. One edge -  one direction.

Train
for me de_train - is 3 line map in basement like other maps. 
image.png.caf4293c347ba9c48e1a6f306135ca5a.png

only unique element that is change middle path to side path, and make middle is center. But it is doesn't metter in overall. 

Nuke
image.png.0dd26e2ad10c50e5e69d20c0dfb4065c.png

a little bit different but is is 3 line map too.

Mirage
image.png.0c5c26ec732d33abd3d696b21c10fc78.png

nuke + train are also 2 of the oldest layouts in the game. They are 'accepted' due to this and any change valve can force. We don't have that luxury. Come back and say the same stuff when you've been doing this a while, you'll have an epiphany sooner or later.