Plantello

[CS:GO] Chlorine

Last year, I started a map titled Chlorine. It's a bomb defuse map set in a countryside spa. The bomb targets are chemical storages.

I only have the experience I gained while making this map, so I have no custom textures/decals/models.

Right now, it's in a state where I'm happy with offline gameplay, but I didn't get the chance to really test it out in multiplayer. Multiplayer feedback would definitely be a huge help. I scavenged enough and sufficient textures from the main game for now, no dev walls, but admittedly it isn't a beautiful map.

I'll keep working on it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1595251771

Some really cool self boost concepts. Here are my recommendations: Avoid the long hallways such as in the underground section. They bore the player and shift the balance towards awps. Think in areas instead off corridors. By this I mean make closely knit interconnected areas rather than developing two areas separately and stitching them together with a corridor.

Yeah, right, there is a new version on the way that tries to reduce sightlines and improve visibility and simplify the layout. Currently, it keeps crashing on me for no apparent reason so it's not about to hit the workshop...

After having removed/reverted stuff that's a bit more technical (2d skybox, 3d skybox, soundscapes etc.), it still seems to be crashing. I think it has to be either a prop (highly unlikely, it probably would just not show up at all) or an embedded file. If neither, I have no idea. I'll sort that out later. So far, the major changes in that version include:

• Restaurant being embiggened and attached to the side of Upper Pool,
  • Mid recieving hedges to limit (but not entirely block) visibility and slow rotations ever so slightly,
  • the wall between Shop and Corridor heightened (the crack is now a hole),
  • the CT entrance to Lower Pool being flipped, recieving a roof in the process,
  • stairs being widened for ease of navigation/better auto nav mesh,
  • having added new sprays for easier navigation,
  • the route around boiler room being closed up,
  • the contact corridor underground being better lit,
  • the gap in Park fence being closed up,
  • the route behind Park recieving a hut that can't be jumped on top of but is a safer approach to the bombsite.

I'll provide a video soon, but right now, I have other stuff to do. Just thought I'd throw that out there while I have the time.

Edit: I've found the culprit. It was the double doors closing that for some reason the game couldn't handle.

Edited by Plantello

Looks interesting, although the park with the yellow fences right behind the bombsite didn't really make sense to me. What did you have in mind with it? Curious to know

The idea was to make a contact point off the ground. I believe.

In all actuality, the map is inspired by an actual place I've been to. The park is there mostly because it's there at the real place.

However, I won't remove it now. Maybe I'll close it up, but outright removing it isn't plausible - there'd be too much negative space. It still is an approach, but in the newer version I'm working on it only has one entrance without jumping the fence, making it even less useful... This wouldn't be the first major change to the layout.

Cool that it's based on a real place! You could actually open up the other side of the fence to make the area more useful, especially in an after plant situation, like this:

840216708_mapidea.png.e5379c18d2efda8c9260e6d0a6e5d3ae.png

That way you could use the park as cover. I'd suggest removing the crates (marked with X). 

However this is just a suggestion, do with it whatever you want of course! I just thought this area has a lot of potential if it's used in the right way. Good luck!

The problem with Park serving as cover is that it's mostly visual. Being 1 unit thick wood, even pistols deal reasonable damage through it. I could widen it, though.

Another thing: that opening should be similar to the one currently present, but inwards, so that it isn't a direct sightline. Not a bad thing, just an observation. It's something you'll notice with many other doorways in the map.

Btw, have you read Erich Kästner's "The 35th of May"? Because that's the current date.

Here's the latest version! Or the differences, at least.

I jump about a bit in the video to demonstrate correct clipping materials being used. In 0.15, I used standard player clips everywhere.

Props to you, @Apeyou for the suggestion of opening up the backside of Park.

Edited by Plantello
Missed shoutout

Steady progress I see! Cool to see you used my suggestion :)

Main issue though is how narrow a lot of parts of the map are. Maybe widen them a bit to make movement smoother (you got stuck on of the doors for example), and to prevent griefing (like blocking entrances or whatever). 

The map has a lot of interesting angles, which I really like. Keep up the progress! 

So I was absent for quite a while, vacation and all, but now I am again working on my map. The latest changes not yet uploaded include:

• better visibility underground and near T entrance to Pool; added a lamp to B site office
  • shorter undergound sightlines; route from T spawn to B now starts from corridor, not room
  • T spawns bieng moved backwards for slower rotations
  • the wall between Mid and B being cut down on
  • cosmetic changes

I've been thinking of opening up the wall near the wheelbarrow some more to let people pass more easily. What do you think? Also, the overview is giving me a lot of trouble. It'd be nice if I could figure it out before the new version goes live. If that happens, I think I'll submit the map for playtest.