@MikeGon Well for Nintendo there was rumor they were going to release a cheap version of the Switch, like other products before. Sony is not going to E3 at all…

Square Enix is taking the Sony presentation slot and will (should) unveil the Avengers game. Hype for that brand couldn’t be higher now.

I couldn't even watch the new Pokemon trailer. I cannot play an single player game at 24 fps with no AA. They are jumping their own hardware and are probably better off switching back to orthographic games if they want quality graphics and frame rates. Don't tell me "its not that bad when you play it". I literally could not even start playing botw because the frame rate turned me off. Just pc things I guess. I even emulated botw with double framerate (which means animations are twice as fast) and it felt more "cinematic". What am I saying, the human eye can't see over 24 fps anyway!

On 6/8/2019 at 5:04 AM, blackdog said:

@MikeGon Well for Nintendo there was rumor they were going to release a cheap version of the Switch, like other products before. Sony is not going to E3 at all…

Square Enix is taking the Sony presentation slot and will (should) unveil the Avengers game. Hype for that brand couldn’t be higher now.

Yeah totally, it's coming at the right time I guess.

I have no idea what they're going to show... admittedly I am a bit nervous but I know this is in good hands :)

On 6/8/2019 at 5:32 AM, Interfearance said:

I couldn't even watch the new Pokemon trailer. I cannot play an single player game at 24 fps with no AA. They are jumping their own hardware and are probably better off switching back to orthographic games if they want quality graphics and frame rates. Don't tell me "its not that bad when you play it". I literally could not even start playing botw because the frame rate turned me off. Just pc things I guess. I even emulated botw with double framerate (which means animations are twice as fast) and it felt more "cinematic".

I'm the same. Feels like as soon as I tasted the sweet fruit of stable high fps that most games have nowadays, I couldn't go back anymore! 

If they managed to make freaking Gamecube games run 60fps 15 years ago you would think that good framerate is a standard for them by now- not only because of the lowering hardware limitations but also the collective knowledge of our engineers that's always rising...

But on the flip-side it's understandable because in terms of specs the Switch is basically a mobile platform, not a console. Here's a read.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:32 AM, Interfearance said:

What am I saying, the human eye can't see over 24 fps anyway!

Come on you're exaggerating... wasn't it 12 fps? Right but if you count both eyes 12+12=24. My bad, you're right!

Kinda knew it: Microsoft blew their wad, and even more so; I knew they had nothing but empty, vapid pronouncements.

So what they have effectively done is: kill off the xbox one and all of the iterations therein and said to Sony "You win, we suck".

No one to blame but Microsoft for the Xbox One failure against PS4. Their desire to 'take over' the living room and produce a media centre box for everything television related has been a long standing desire in the Microsoft camp. I remember an interview with Bill Gates in EDGE magazine in the (mid) 1990's talking about the living room as a family space for entertainment. He focused on television and incorporating Windows OS into the television even then...

Wish I kept that issue of EDGE, Just as I wish I took a photograph of me standing next to a 1990's Quake advert, 60 foot high :)

Back on topic...

So, the Xbox lost this round and Microsoft have bowed out - let the internet trolling begin. Fight!

What they should have done? I think it's no small wonder as to how they royally screwed up this round of console battles, but I'll chip in and state the obvious:

-DDR3 + SRAM. The big joke.

-SATA3. Didn't the launch have SATA2? Did they make it hard/difficult to upgrade to an SSD?

-Always internet connected. Connect or be disconnected!

-That camera always watching you...why?

-That microphone always listening to you...why?

-The utterly atrocious public relations feeds and twitter comments, with such fu-bars as telling people that 24 FPS is fine, as it's 'cinematic', or telling people they do not care about 'insert place here' if they cannot get access to the internet and therefore, cannot use the Xbox.

-The launch price - essentially telling people they need to pay for the camera/microphone and 'tough' if they do not want it. Later it was revealed they just had a tonne of left over stock from the camera/lens of the Xbox 360, and just wanted to shift the redundant stock...ouch!

-The design of it. Just looked like a sideways 'gamer' PC from Walmart. Nasty, cheap-looking shiny box. The inside of it looked like it had crashed into a PC Parts warehouse...backwards.

-No 4KUHD playback, initially - this did change with the 'S', and yes, the PS4 doesn't have this at all...but, IF the Xbox One had 4KUHD from the very beginning...I suspect this would have had a big impact to sales.

The list I got in my head goes on for several pages, so I'll save everyone's time!

PlayStation win again, Microsoft lose, again - and next round I doubt Microsoft will be anything but second/third/forth place - as I suspect a lot of the components in the current Xbox warehouse left over will be put into the next one, and consumers will end up paying for Microsoft's 'lack of vision'. AGAIN.

@Mitch Mitchell I don’t see the point of going over what/how Microsoft failed on the Xbox One front. They are doing a new machine and still committed. I just want to say that the always-on mike was necessary for the multimedia side of things, also smartphones are listening all the time with their assistants, so I don’t see any problem with… except MS being ahead of the game and pushing features not yet widely accepted. I would also speculate that the always-online requirement was to please publishers like Ubi and EA that have such restrictions in their games to maybe get some exclusives. If anything, what really infuriated people was the battle against used games – again another feature requested by big publishers!

The problem with MS is they have always had a culture of giving too many options and please everyone, which ends up annoying everyone.

Anyway I haven’t been up with the E3 stuff since I’m looking after my newborn, but the little I’ve seen (trailers for Gears 5 and Halo) are garbage and not enticing at all. And we are talking of two of the three most important killer apps. I’m curious to see what the new machine is offering but with the state of their first parties, they are gonna struggle keep their core audience!

I'd argue that MS knows that they lost this round and are gearing up for the next round with a proper lineup. They're making the next Halo a launch title for the next console, and something tells me there is going to be a surprise from Playground games as well.

1 hour ago, Zarsky said:

I'd argue that MS knows that they lost this round and are gearing up for the next round with a proper lineup. They're making the next Halo a launch title for the next console, and something tells me there is going to be a surprise from Playground games as well.

🙂🤐

6 hours ago, blackdog said:

May I say: most underwhelming E3 in many years?

I'm really excited for BOTW sequel and Cyberpunk, but most everything else did in fact suck. FF7 sequel focusing exclusively on Midgar sounds lame af to me.

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

May I say: most underwhelming E3 in many years?

We have to realize that we're at the end of a generation. That's why the new game announcements are all just CGI trailers.

M$ bought a lot of studios last year, but only a fraction of them shown anything (Ninja theory for example shown Bleeding Edge) the other studios are probably still busy developing the new upcoming titles.

There was a LOT of fantastic indie games announced too,  many that will get released in 2019, we need to start giving these more love, they're a well of creativity.
Whatever game genre you're into, you're bound to find something you like in this list: https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/e3-2019-all-the-indie-games-revealed-during-kinda-funny-games-showcase/

I was down there yesterday, I don't think it's that much worse than previous years, maybe a little bit because Sony didn't show up this year, but there was some decent stuff on there. I love how you saw a lot of "AA" and "indie games", I find that really inspiring and motivational that these smaller teams can stand out so much vs teams of 500 people making massive games.

Isn't it funny how AAA studios have become the Hollywood of gaming. They use time tested formulas (that were created when major innovation still occurred) and produce a decently enjoyable experience, but nothing to write home about. Of course there are some counterexamples but they are growing sparse by the year (Doom 2016 is one of the few that stands out. I wish we saw more competitive games that are easy to enter hard to master. However, it seems like devs are just going for fun but not really competitive to maximize their demographic and milk profits. Fortnite gradually closed the skill gap as it went on to "nerf" veteran players. I don't have to explain why that is bullshit. Before this idea we had COD which had an infinitesimally small skill gap and appealed to everyone, resulting in maximum profit for Treyarch. I can't seem to find any mission based games that don't involve forcing the player to pay for everything to spare themselves hours of grinding. Sure you can play mobas for a mmo competitive experience, but its not really my cup of tea because of epilepsy inducing effects, lack of mechanical game play,  and level up systems that allow players to have an edge on you. I could go through every genre denouncing some aspect of it but this is really just a criticism of major names in the business and their checklist/handbook approach to game development and lack of innovative effort. One thing is for sure; the industry does not punish them one bit. These guys know what makes money.