Sign in to follow this  
GenoCide

Collision mesh for source models in blender

Hey,
I have recently started using blender. In 3ds Max, Wallworm did the job just fine. Is there anything in blender that could help me create collision mesh?
I know you can start off with a cube and make it envelop the mesh etc. but for complex mesh, it isn't always possible to do that while keeping the mesh convex.

I also know about "Convex hull" in edit mode that can be found in the search menu, but it doesn't eliminate unnecessary details. The image below is just a small example, it's a lot of tedious work for the whole model.
image.png.370e03306bf4c5fa1251e214f9057e93.png

So is there anything else that I could try?

12 hours ago, neptune said:

You can find this link how to make collision mesh with each 3D modelling program for Source Engine.

Collision mesh wiki page

Yes, those are the basics, I know about that. I have been making models in max for my maps, I was just looking for a better approach if there is any. Thank you anyway :)

I don't really understand your issue, what's the problem here with creating just a basic collision shape like this ?

n0fGOsg.png → 2daBD8z.png OR CABQPSc.png

Also if you have unecessary geometry like that and you don't want to destroy the faces and rebuild everything by hand, you can select the edges like this :

XpBkU91.png

Press DELETE (or X) and pick "Dissolve Edge". It will reconstruct geometry without these edges.

EDIT

Can you show us the complex geo that you struggle with ?

Most of the time, I think it's just about the amount of elements I use in my collision meshes. By using multiple you can create concave geometry but you'll quickly hit the limit amount of elements (don't remember how high this limit is but it's pretty low)

Edited by leplubodeslapin

On 5/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, leplubodeslapin said:

Most of the time, I think it's just about the amount of elements I use in my collision meshes. By using multiple you can create concave geometry but you'll quickly hit the limit amount of elements (don't remember how high this limit is but it's pretty low)

Making collisions of concave models or hitting the limit isn't my issue. The limit issue can be resolved by increasing the threshold, there is a QC class for that. The limit is 40 convex hulls for CSGO and you can use $maxconvexpieces <int> to increase it. The problem is, deleting the extra edges manually, which is tedious as compared to the wall worms plugin's work in 3ds max.

Z6Oine6.png 

This is the model I am working on.

Edit: I guess for costly convex hulls, you can apply decimate modifier. That helps a bit.

Edited by GenoCide