Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

XIII (reboot)

It looks like Sony has secured the rights for the videogame version of XIII, the Belgian comics series. This was already made into an (amazing!) game by Ubisoft, back in 2003. I was never expecting a remake/reboot really, but I personally welcome the news. My problem is that it seems it’s gonna be an exclusive to the PS.

The teaser suggests it will return to a very stylised presentation. (Sure hope so, that’s what made so special the Ubisoft game.)

Video:

I've been collecting the comic book series since forever, but never played the first game based on it.

Consider me interested in this remake (hoping for a PC release though) :) 

To this date, if I grab a shovel this quote would still pop up in my mind

also this game was almost the demise of my own first PC, as I was too enthralled playing, and kept playing during a storm... at some point a lightning struck and the computer seemingly died. Luckily the day after it turned on again, but I spent several hours of panic.

I always wanted to play this game back in the day, but my gfx card wouldn't run it.
And when I eventually upgraded, i couldn't be bothered to try it.

It does seem like a pretty big departure from the original art direction, the backgrounds look like a middle ground of stylized and realistic, and enemies/player do use cellshading with a outline?

lSu7IKLr

CAHP4900

xHAVLM6l

YF8sOxq5

xTdCvEgX

The original had a more comic book style to it, that looks better imo.

I also never played the original (possibly same reason), but as a big fan and collector of the comic books it's based on, I'm looking forward to this. I actually like the shift in visual style personally, maybe cause it's closer to the (original) comic books.

Sorry @[HP]merge? 😁

from what I can see they are doing what the LEGO games have been doing, creating a clear indication of what can be interacted with and what’s scenery. I never played Borderlands but isn’t this similar to that too?

This is to some degree what I was talking about when I was saying I’d like to see GTA use the awesome stylised art they create for their boxes… it doesn’t look as good as I’d like but I’ll reserve judgment, they might still be toning things(?)

I'm not too annoyed by the remakes, I mean if there was a good concept that didn't catch up in 2003 i don't see why you can't try again in 2020. That being said, this reminds me what Ubisoft used to be about :(

You know how often games look worse than you remember. XIII looks BETTER than I remember.

I also think the remake is moving too far away from the originals visuals.