Sign in to follow this  
[HP]

PlayStation 5 Reveal

27 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Do you really take your time and admire the shape of your gaming console? 

It’s interesting because if you’re designing a console you want it to stick out and have a memorable shape and be very recognizable in a living room. Those aren’t things I super care about as a consumer, and probably don’t necessarily want. But if you’re a younger person or someone who cares about that sort of thing, you might be very excited to have a badass first or second console that really dominates the space it is in.

The Switch is an example of a system I really like from this standpoint. Its small, tidy and functional but also aesthetic.

edit:

For example, not everyone wants something this ostentatious in their Tv room

image.thumb.jpeg.0f67e2730576931c109cd07188085be9.jpeg

Edited by FMPONE

38 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

It’s interesting because if you’re designing a console you want it to stick out and have a memorable shape and be very recognizable in a living room. Those aren’t things I super care about as a consumer, and probably don’t necessarily want. But if you’re a younger person or someone who cares about that sort of thing, you might be very excited to have a badass first or second console that really dominates the space it is in.

The Switch is an example of a system I really like from this standpoint. Its small, tidy and functional but also aesthetic.

edit:

For example, not everyone wants something this ostentatious in their Tv room

image.thumb.jpeg.0f67e2730576931c109cd07188085be9.jpeg

I think if someone wants a playstation then he will buy it regardles...

On 6/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, FMPONE said:

So with how much space it’s going to occupy and how obnoxious it looks, and the fact that it is obsolete on day one, are there games enough to justify it? I’d like to play Last of Us 2, but what else are people looking forward to? A new GTA?

Kind of on the fence about this purchase, and I’d never even consider an Xbox.

"what else are people looking forward to" are you crazy bro!?

Ratchet and Clank for one

Spiderman 2 for two

HZD2 for three

The next god of war whenever that comes out

Days Gone 2 whenever that comes out

10 hours ago, Vilham said:

"what else are people looking forward to" are you crazy bro!?

Ratchet and Clank for one

Spiderman 2 for two

HZD2 for three

The next god of war whenever that comes out

Days Gone 2 whenever that comes out

I’m sure some people are pumped about that list, but I’ll probably just be enjoying Cyberpunk on the PC. Seems like not the strongest launch lineup. 

When Rockstar did GTA launch titles and cucked PC gamers for a year+, that was a major incentive to buy a console. Maybe that’s what will happen once again, I don’t know. If it doesn’t, I don’t see what would be a “must buy”.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, Lizard said:

I think if someone wants a playstation then he will buy it regardles...

The average consumer yes, they are either invested in the ecosystem or want to get in and don’t think of these design aspects… they are probably not even aware of the size until they go at the mall to pick up one.

Personally I’m like @FMPONE, if they told me the new PlayStation was an HDMI stick I could hide behind the TV, I’d be the happiest. But there lies the problem, on one side they’ve been telling us that “mobile chips are catching up to desktop performance” (look how much power the new iPads have), but at the same time I think they need a chunky system to justify the price: can you imagine a console the size of the Apple TV and an asking price around $500?

Edited by blackdog

Whats more powerful guys, a mini fridge or a dumb router. Who designs these stupid ass things? and who goes YEAH THAT LOOKS REAL GOOD

I may have posted this before but as someone who had to write streaming installers for open world games this harddrive tech is so amazing for me. It would have made something that took me months to do a trivial problem. If I can program a loader system for a game assuming that the PS5's harddrive is the lowest common denominator I can't tell you how much that would make my job easier.

The only other thing I would like to see in a console is having one of the processor cores clocked WAY higher than the other cores. This would probably help a lot of smaller indie teams because there's always a cost to properly parallelizing a game/game engine. It would also help AAA developers because ultimately it's a time sink properly parallelizing various subsystems.

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

Someone pointed out on twitter that this is photoshoped... If not then... Well :D 

If you look at the other one with the full lineup size comparison, it seems to be the right size, I mean just the real shot instead of a mock-up