PlayStation 5 Reveal

-HP-

The FF7 remake is going to redeem the franchise from its downward trajectory after FFX. If you never had your mind blown when stepping outside of Midgar for the first time, realizing the city was only a smaller part of a larger (content rich) world, you missed out. These days I feel worlds are just big for the sake of being big. Top 3 gaming moments for me. That game has been an enormous influencer on A LOT of people working in the industry.

Haha yeah, it was my first RPG' At the end of Midgar I was like, "well, it was a good game"

Then map opening O_O

I think most people love it because of its mature story, its sense of humour, the kick ass characters (seriously a big red cat with scars and a fire tail !!! ) and the fact that you can customize your characters a bit like you want. The materia system was also a great feature geniously integrated in the story and I hope they will keep the same style in the remake.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the heritage of FF7, I beat it back in the day. It's just turn based games..... eeeeh. lmao

What they briefly show of the combat in the remake looks really good tho man, hope this will be good.

1 minute ago, [HP] said:

Don't get me wrong, I respect the heritage of FF7, I beat it back in the day.

oic.

my bad, thought you were saying you like gave up on it early, was going to encourage you to go back and give it another shot. But if you beat it then you got a sense of what it truly is.

They are going to sell FF VII in multiple games, similar to FF XIII. They must have modelled new areas to explore, areas that were previously unseen in pre rendered backgrounds. They can even have added new side quests or modified the plot in some ways to acommodate a larger world. In the original game you visit one reactor in Midgar and just one section of the whole thing, what if the whole structure is now accessible to the player?

Realtime combat imposes a new challenge. What the other chars in your party do while you are controlling one char? The AI controls them. In turn based system there is no AI to control them. Another thing that they must have changed is the random encounter system. It's really annoying to be walking and suddenly a battle takes place. That screen transition between the world and the battle is annoying. There was even a yellow materia that made the encounters less frequent.

They haven't showed anything about the world map. In the old days an open world with the scale of GTA or The Witcher was impossible, but now they can and have done it with FF XV. This forces some more gameplay changes as you can't just walk out of Midgar and run to Kalm in one minute. That or they abolished the world map.

Aerith's death can now have blood if they aren't censoring anything.

If they are succesful with that remake, they are probably going to make more. FF8 anyone?

There are some reports that Mark Cerny invested in ultra fast SSD for the PS5, claiming it to be faster than what is available for PCs. Sounds like they included a very large DDR cache, much larger than what is available in current SSDs.

Edited by 0kelvin

• 4 months later...

Official announcement for release window (what a surprise)

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

there are dove very interesting details, as Sony reveals they have implemented haptic feedback that will allow to program feedback like walking on different materials.

Another article with some exclusive info

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Edited by blackdog

When they say haptic do they mean the same haptic feedback you have on modern VR hardware? Or is it somehow better?If so then I didn't realize there was even a difference between rumble and haptics. Is the difference that you have control over the frequency and amplitude of the signal?

From my searches it appears the clock speed is 3.2ghz. I would hope it would be higher. I guess I need to compare the actual workload difference between ps4 and ps5.

I've always wished a console company would make a console where one of the cores is clocked way faster than the others. So many game engines that exist now would benefit massively from it and it would make development easier.

• 5 months later...

They did spent more on the SSD part as Cerny said back then.

The difference in brute performance is very small. Even less than PS4 x Xbox one. 2 ~ 3 Tflops of brute force is not going to be noticiable most of the time.

They are both relying on pretty much the same raytracing tech, same shaders tech, same CPU, same GPU. The differences lie in different approaches for cooling and power consumption.

2 hours ago, 0kelvin said:

They did spent more on the SSD part as Cerny said back then.

The difference in brute performance is very small. Even less than PS4 x Xbox one. 2 ~ 3 Tflops of brute force is not going to be noticiable most of the time.

They are both relying on pretty much the same raytracing tech, same shaders tech, same CPU, same GPU. The differences lie in different approaches for cooling and power consumption.

Like cerny said, just relying on terraflops as a gauge for performance isn't accurate, there's a lot of new stuff in here that in conjunction it's actually a really interesting jump into a new generation of consoles, specially since it gives devs new interesting toys to play around with. (Raytracing)

This thread explains the impact of the fast storage very well:

They'll be able to basically use the SSD as some sort of RAM pool to stream high LODs on demand.
Say goodbye to cramming through a narrow crack/corridor or having to run mazes to get to your destination. I remember Horizon Zero Dawn couldn't have a lot of different robots roaming around the same area because of this as well. Oh, and that was also the reason you can't mount a flying machine in that game.
Edited by Zarsky

9 hours ago, 0kelvin said:

There is an on going wars about teraflops, lol.

I steer away for those spec comparison pages as there's bunch of self claimed experts arguing about things they don't understand. ?‍♂️

It will all come down to how devs utilize the hardware, and it's evident that there's a huge amount of potential avenues to explore for nextgen. Can't wait to see them games.