Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Wolfenstein Young Blood

I thought there was a topic since the announcement was a year ago, but can’t find it.

This games will be the first Wolfenstein put us in the boots of someone else other than BJ: the two daughters he has, that take over the nazi-killing duties whilst he’s missing.

So here they are, old announcement teaser and recent trailers:

It’s out in late July and will enable for a co-op experience, there’s even a “buddy pass” in the deluxe edition, to allow players to play with a friend that doesn’t own the game.

Edited by blackdog

Not sure if is ideal to share this commentary to the previous entries in this topic, but at same time seems weird to gravedig the W2 topic for a video that encompasses all entries, and we don’t have a “container” for this sort of content (if there is feel free to move the post).

Raycevick, maybe to warm up for the new title, has played all the previous games, in chronological story order rather than release. Here is his video, where he basically praise Old Blood as the best entry, with the others performing less well.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison to Max Payne 3 cinematics, maybe that those in W2 are less annoying(?). I’m also a bit puzzled by the comments on the performance of New Order and Old Blood, apparently widespread (as he reports Bethesda has released specific fixes)… I don’t feel/have noticed any problem with it, despite playing on a gaming laptop(!) I think I’m playing quite cranked up. I’m gonna check because I still have to finish New Order and was thinking this last few days of picking it back up (so I can clean up disk space).

The new Order was awesome... Old Blood was short but absolutely amazing! And then... I don't know what happened with The New Colossus, story and graphics are good but man the gameplay and level design leaves so much to be desired I couldn't force myself to finish it, and I'm a pretty big fan of this franchise.

Leaving me very skeptical about Young Blood, I'll wait for the reviews to come out.

Any of you guys bought this?

Looking at the first wave of impressions on metacritic, it doesn't seem promising: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wolfenstein-youngblood or Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056960/Wolfenstein_Youngblood/#app_reviews_hash

Edited by Radu

After the previous mess that the New Colossus was and the trailers I've seen from this, I'm struggling to find interest in picking this up, and here's why.

The comedic tone seems to be even weirder than it's predecessor, there's not even an antagonist other than "All Nazis", and I get the feeling that overall, this game struggles to know who its target audience is, which muddies the DNA into a unrecognizable salad of things. But, since it's the same framework and engine as the previous two games, the gameplay seems pretty smooth and the art seems to be really well done, except the characters weirdly enough. Seems like the LD is a bit better this time around too, with actual exploration and alternative paths, and not just corridor followed by wide open area for gameplay, rinse and repeat.

I wish the co-op offered split screen, I'm very well aware of the technical challenges of making this happen but in games like this, it's a challenge that was worth tackling and it would sway a lot more people into buying this game for sure, since the game is being marketed as a "Wolfenstein with a friend" game, anyway.

On PC, it's yet another title full of instability and crashes and to add insult to injury, the game comes with micro-transactions, fortunately it's cosmetic only which gets a pass from me but people are very sensitive to that nowadays.

It feels more like a spinoff than a sequel, which is fine I guess, the $30 price shows that the publisher also knows this. Seems like this could be worth picking up if you have a friend to play it over coop, because playing co-op with an AI is rarely a fun experience.

I just don't understand what's going on. Ever since New Order and Old Blood stuff has gone down hill massively. Are they trying to compete with Borderlands, The Division or Anthem? If yes then why? Everything good about NO and OB has been seemingly cast aside in favour of a worse experience. Blows my mind.

And just Bethesda in general, they seem to have lost the plot. Every week stuff just seems to get weirder. The new multi platform re-release of the Dooms needing an online account. Wolfeinstein being turned into a Borderlands/Division Coop level shooter. Fallout just being a mess riddled with microtransactions and having a BR Mode, wow. Remember the Nylon bags too? Without Doom Eternal they'd be struggling even more. Saying this, if there aren't any microtransactions in DE I'll be surprised.

2 hours ago, dux said:

I just don't understand what's going on. Ever since New Order and Old Blood stuff has gone down hill massively. Are they trying to compete with Borderlands, The Division or Anthem? If yes then why? Everything good about NO and OB has been seemingly cast aside in favour of a worse experience. Blows my mind.

And just Bethesda in general, they seem to have lost the plot. Every week stuff just seems to get weirder. The new multi platform re-release of the Dooms needing an online account. Wolfeinstein being turned into a Borderlands/Division Coop level shooter. Fallout just being a mess riddled with microtransactions and having a BR Mode, wow. Remember the Nylon bags too? Without Doom Eternal they'd be struggling even more. Saying this, if there aren't any microtransactions in DE I'll be surprised.

Hmm that got me interested to look at Bethesda's past 10 years:

2019:

Wolfenstein: Younblood - Jul 26, 2019 (73 metascore/2.3 user score) - Developer: MachineGames and Arkane Studios

Rage 2 - May 13, 2019 (73 metascore/5.2 user score) - Developer: Avalanche Studios and id Software 

In late 2018, Bethesda announced and released its first-ever massive, multiplayer online game, Fallout 76, a prequel to the Fallout series. Upon its initial release, it was given mixed to negative reviews for its poor quality and was embroiled in several other controversies, including problems with tie-in products and a data breach.

2018:

Fallout 76 - Nov 14, 2018 (52 metascore/2.8 user score) - Developer: Bethesda Softworks

2017:

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus -  Oct 27, 2017 (86 metascore/6.7 user score) - Developer: MachineGames

The Evil Within - Oct 12, 2017 (80 metascore/8.9 user score) - Developer: Tango Gameworks

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider  - Sep 14, 2017 (81 metascore/6.7 user score) - Developer: Arkane Studios

Prey - May 5, 2017 (82 metascore/8.1 user score) - Developer: Arkane Studios

The Elder Scrolls: Legends - Mar 20, 2017 (80 metascore/5.7 user score) - Developer: Dire Wolf Digital and Sparkypants Studios

In the mid-2010s, Bethesda began to experiment with new kinds of games, releasing Fallout Shelter, its first mobile, free-to-play game in the summer of 2015. A year later, it released a reboot of id Software's Doom, after several years of development as a failed attempt to produce a sequel to Doom 3.

2016:

Dishonored 2 - Nov 10, 2016 (86 metascore/6.8 user score) - Developer: Arkane Studios

DOOM - May 13, 2016 (85 metascore/8.4 user score) - Developer: id Software

2015:

Fallout 4 - Nov 9, 2015 (84 metascore/5.5 user score) - Developer: Bethesda Game Studios

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - May 5, 2015 (76 metascore/7.7 user score) - Developer: MachineGames

In the early 2010s, Bethesda Softworks published games such as Dishonored, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and The Evil Within.

2014:

The Evil Within - Oct 13, 2014 (68 metascore/6.2 user score) - Developer: Tango Gameworks

Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 19, 2014 (81 metascore/8.2 user score) - Developer: MachineGames

The Elder Scrolls Online - Apr 4, 2014 (71 metascore/5.8 user score) - Developer: ZeniMax Online Studios

Between 2009 and 2012, the company expanded publishing operations, with games from independent third party developers such as Rebellion Developments's Rogue Warrior, Artificial Mind and Movement's Wet, Splash Damage's Brink, and inXile's Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

2012:

Dishonored - Oct 8, 2012 (91 metascore/8.4 user score) - Developer: Arkane Studios

2011:

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - November 11, 2011 (94 metascore/8.2 user score) - Developer: Bethesda Game Studios

Rage - Oct 3, 2011 (79 metascore/5.3 user score) - Developer: id Software

Hunted: The Demon's Forge - May 30, 2011 (61 metascore/6.6 user score) - Developer: inXile Entertainment

Brink - May 9, 2011 (70 metascore/6 user score) - Developer: Splash Damage

Between 2007 and 2010, Bethesda raised US$450 million in new capital from Providence Equity Partners to fund expansion efforts. In February 2008, the company opened a European publishing arm in London, named ZeniMax Europe, to distribute titles throughout UK/EMEA territories under the Bethesda Softworks brand. This was followed in by opening publishing offices in Tokyo, Frankfurt, Paris, Eindhoven, Hong Kong, Sydney and Moscow in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2018 respectively.

2010:

Fallout: New Vegas - Oct 19, 2010 (84 metascore/8.7 user score) - Developer: Obsidian Enterntainment

On June 24, 2009, ZeniMax Media acquired id Software, whose titles, including Rage, would be published by Bethesda Softworks.

2008:

Fallout 3 - Oct 28, 2008 (91 metascore/7.8 user score) - Developer: Bethesda Game Studios

sources: metacritic.com and wikipedia.org

Edited by Radu