Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Joker (Joaquin Phoenix)

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

I guess Batman won't be in it at all? Should be fascinating.

Yeah the released info says there’s no Batman in it. I think the idea is kinda Gotham’s, where Joaquin is the “first” Joker, Bruce Wayne is a child or maybe not even born, and then other Jokers come along afterwards.

This “origin story” is pretty much the one portrayed in The Killing Joke novel.

8 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Guess I will refrain from re-reading that anytime before the movie, then 😯

On 4/17/2019 at 12:45 AM, blackdog said:

Yeah the released info says there’s no Batman in it. I think the idea is kinda Gotham’s, where Joaquin is the “first” Joker, Bruce Wayne is a child or maybe not even born, and then other Jokers come along afterwards.

But even that story is unconfirmed about where it all begin and the joker says in the The Killing Joke that he chooses to have multiple choices when it comes to his past.

Edited by GenoCide

Never updated the topic, the movie is soon out and everybody seems to recognise it as great, it received 8 min of standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival...

Despite that there has been a lengthy press campaign trying to depict the movie as a "dangerous film" that would cause "single white males" to be inspired by Joker and go out and do bad stuff.

Finally WB has responded by banning all the journalists from the red carpet 🍻

https://deadline.com/2019/09/joker-red-carpet-press-restriction-hollywood-premiere-1202746895/

“A lot has been said about Joker, and we just feel it’s time for people to see the film,” a studio spokesperson said.

Edited by blackdog

On 9/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, blackdog said:

Finally WB has responded by banning all the journalists from the red carpet 🍻

mtbu.gif

On 9/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, blackdog said:

Despite that there has been a lengthy press campaign trying to depict the movie as a "dangerous film" that would cause "single white males" to be inspired by Joker and go out and do bad stuff.

I don't need to be inspired by an imaginary character to do bad stuff. I'm quite capable of doing bad things by my own white male self.

Watched it tonight, awesome to go out to watch a movie with the wife and friends, an experience that becomes really rare once you have kids.

It's definitely a very enthralling psychological thriller. I found it very refreshing. Great to see some originality for once, the "anti-hero" genre isn't new per se, but the way the character development is written and you see this guy going from a looser to a nihilistic psycho is really well done.

It's not for everyone, for sure, it goes into places few dare venture, for good reasons, and I applaud it for trying.

I can now understand why it got some hate from certain reviewers, because whether you want it or not, you'll find yourself empathizing and feeling pity for a "monster", because it shows you how he got there, he was made not born, and that's a real uncomfortable thought for many, for sure.