2 minutes ago, Minos said:

Lol, just watched this, this game looks rad!

its literally one of the best platformer games I've played since the latest mario.

Apparently Anno 1800 will also be removed from Steam and made available exclusively on Epic Store

Wonder when (if?) we'll see Valve change any of their policies to do with Steam to try and combat this? Do they need to? They've still got a crap load of games on there and still have some big releases. No doubt they will lose a lot more in the future though.

These exclusives have nothing to do with the cut. Its entirely to do with the exclusivity payments.

Epic store currently makes a loss for Epic due to those payments from Tim Sweeney's own admission. Which means its a lot of money that epic is handing out for essentially free, there have been multiple accounts of companys saying even if they sold zero copies on the epic store they would be making more than their predicted sales.

So even if Valve cuts their take I don't think it would change the situation.

mac-port-is-being-developed-and-no-one-b

pretty much what has been happening.

Yeah one has to wonder what Valve can do at this stage, other than pushing a massive (UI) update to Steam and make it better that way.

Totally understand and legitimate for devs to grab the exclusive money, in the cluttered scene of Steam and general distribution, we know that every newcomer will struggle.

we are also just at the beginning, the scene will settle down in a while once Epic and Steam will have gone through some back and forth. We also know that  consoles sell at a loss to establish their platform, so what Epic is doing is just logic.

I feel this is just more exciting than nothing changing at all. Also almost never buy D1 games so even if I want to keep just Steam, these exclusives are not affecting me anyway.

Edited by blackdog

14 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Think you can wave goodbye to the 8th most played game on Steam (at least as of today at this very minute)

https://mobile.twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/1123671322687680520

Still says I can buy Rocket League off steam, is it actually going exclusive or just being sold on both stores? Their post doesnt really seem to answer that question.

22 minutes ago, fewseb said:

Still says I can buy Rocket League off steam, is it actually going exclusive or just being sold on both stores? Their post doesnt really seem to answer that question.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/5/1/18525842/epic-games-psyonix-acquisition-rocket-league-fortnite-unreal-deal?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

You don’t have to be a psychic to figure out how that one ends.

And this is just going to continue or even accelerate. Unreal Engine being state of the art is going to be a continuing thorn in Valve’s side. They simply must invest in their own ecosystem more and make their own competitive engine. It’s an arms race and it’s become painfully one sided.

8 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/5/1/18525842/epic-games-psyonix-acquisition-rocket-league-fortnite-unreal-deal?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

You don’t have to be a psychic to figure out how that one ends.

And this is just going to continue or even accelerate. Unreal Engine being state of the art is going to be a continuing thorn in Valve’s side. They simply must invest in their own ecosystem more and make their own competitive engine. It’s an arms race and it’s become painfully one sided.

Some how I dont see Source2 competing with Unreal, especially considering the rumors that L4D3s development ended in micro-civil war between the devs over continuing to use source2 or just moving to unreal since it was an actual finished engine.

Considering all we have seen of Source2 has been small scale VR games and a very messy port, it doesn't speak to highly of the company that blew the industry away with its source engine reveal in 2003.

This whole situation feels unwinnable for Valve, even with an actual threat it doesnt seem like they have any motivation at all the buckle down and make anything. Steam has over a decades worth of community features that work almost flawlessly, but what good is that going to do when Epic has all the games that casual buyers want. Another expensive VR headset with no featured games isnt going to cut it again, it just seems so odd that Valve used to be known for making well-thought out, very creative games. Now they make state of the art VR tech that doesnt do anything.

Just now, fewseb said:

Some how I dont see Source2 competing with Unreal, especially considering the rumors that L4D3s development ended in micro-civil war between the devs over continuing to use source2 or just moving to unreal since it was an actual finished engine.

Considering all we have seen of Source2 has been small scale VR games and a very messy port, it doesn't speak to highly of the company that blew the industry away with its source engine reveal in 2003.

This whole situation feels unwinnable for Valve, even with an actual threat it doesnt seem like they have any motivation at all the buckle down and make anything. Steam has over a decades worth of community features that work almost flawlessly, but what good is that going to do when Epic has all the games that casual buyers want. Another expensive VR headset with no featured games isnt going to cut it again, it just seems so odd that Valve used to be known for making well-thought out, very creative games. Now they make state of the art VR tech that doesnt do anything.

Cool post, but can I interest you in a digital trading card game?

wait, where are you going

4 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Cool post, but can I interest you in a digital trading card game?

wait, where are you going

Listen for $20 its a little cheap but acceptable when your competition is trying to sell us all this "free" nonsense, however your micro-transaction card packs are a way too cheap for my liking, I think ill just go buy the apex battle bible for like $120, thats what all the cool kids waste their money on. Maybe ill go get the Thanos Dance for Frognight while im at it.

Come back to me when youve finally figured out how to put a computer chip in my brain so I can watch McDonalds ads while I sleep.