[HP]

Anthem and the peculiarities of modern monetization.

1 hour ago, [HP] said:

market-2019-with.png

Really interesting. I'm not sure if this is true, but it seems like consoles have given up some space on the pie to PC. Or, PC at least seems to be holding its own.

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

Really interesting. I'm not sure if this is true, but it seems like consoles have given up some space on the pie to PC. Or, PC at least seems to be holding its own.

Might be a consequence of Microsoft adding microtransactions to Solitaire.

9 minutes ago, mtchromatic said:

What's the distinction between smartphone and tablet games?

I think tablets became the new laptops. There are games that are tablet exclusives, and the ones that are not, they do support tablets tho, which makes it a bit confusing.

https://www.polygon.com/fortnite/2020/1/15/21067042/ninja-epic-games-fortnite-skin

"After years of asking Epic Games to give him his own skin in Fortnite, Tyler “Ninja” Blevins is getting his wish. The streamer has announced on Mixer that his Fortnite skin will be added to the game on Jan. 16, though he’s currently playing games with it right now.

The Ninja Fortnite skin is part of a series — the Icon Series — that’ll bring “the artistic vision, personality, and attitude of top creators to Fortnite,” Epic Games said in its announcement. The Ninja Outfit will be available on Jan. 16 at 7 p.m. ET until January 19 at 8 p.m. ET, as well as a few extras: Ninja’s Edge Back Bling, Ninja Style Emote, and a Dual Katanas Pickaxe. Neither Epic nor Ninja have said how much the items will cost."

Well, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the level of engagement and promotion present around Fornite. I don't know if I've seen a game become so mainstream (aside from cod and minecraft, but I would argue they didn't reach this type of level) and feature so many cross promotions and leak into pop culture. The end of the season event was also something never seen before. On the other hand, you've got worn down devs trying to keep up with the next updates without end. I hope they at least adopt a more healthy life-work balance progressing into this new decade. It's gonna be interesting to see how other big companies try to replicate this success. 

Edited by Radu