[HP]

Anthem and the peculiarities of modern monetization.

5 hours ago, Radu said:

If I watch this will my youtube feed become infested with yongyeah and "game critics" raging about the latest microtransaction bullshit?

1 hour ago, Minos said:

If I watch this will my youtube feed become infested with yongyeah and "game critics" raging about the latest microtransaction bullshit?

Yongyes, but thankfully there's a chrome extension that can solve this

Edited by MikeGon

Or I guess you can click a few “not interested” when they appear.

or even easier, logout before playing the video…

I get completely different suggestions between my two accounts and even more general content if logged out. 

8 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Or I guess you can click a few “not interested” when they appear.

or even easier, logout before playing the video…

I get completely different suggestions between my two accounts and even more general content if logged out. 

The thing with their own "not interested" functions is that you don't know how they interpret that under the hood... maybe they apply that to the category as a whole and often you may want to do a more surgical thing.

Seriously that extension is really good, you just type in specific strings or names of channels that make trash and BOOM gone. What's funny is that garbage youtube video usually have the same title structure for clickbait, so it's super easy to clean them up. Like if you type in "Fiverr" you remove all the "I paid 5 [job title]s on Fiverr to [task]" glorified ads

As another example, if you put in "Minecraft" and "Fortnite" you remove like 75% of the internet

Now I wish they add one for audio... like as soon as it picks up the word "subscribe" "bell" or "Patreon", skip ahead 30sec.

9 hours ago, Minos said:

Yes, your entire life will be compromised! 

9 hours ago, MikeGon said:

Now I wish they add one for audio... like as soon as it picks up the word "subscribe" "bell" or "Patreon", skip ahead 30sec.

Let me introduce you to the Wadsworth constant

To apply the Wadsworth Constant to any Youtube video, put &wadsworth=1 at the end of the URL.

Well in the case of those channels, often the interesting part is the news itself, in the first few min of the video, the rest is padding/blabber/ranting.

13 hours ago, MikeGon said:

The thing with their own "not interested" functions is that you don't know how they interpret that under the hood...

Seriously that extension is really good, you just type in specific strings or names of channels that make trash and BOOM gone.

Dunno, I don’t remember seeing more of what i wanted to purge when I’ve used the built in function.

I’m intrigued on how the extension works, if it removes HTML then YouTube can’t suggest other stuff that might be interesting

11 hours ago, Pampers said:

To apply the Wadsworth Constant to any Youtube video, put &wadsworth=1 at the end of the URL.

Haha yeah I heard of it that would be a neat time-saver but the URL parameter thing doesn't seem to work anymore... That's probably intentional by YT to make sure we're correctly being advertised at

8 hours ago, MikeGon said:

Haha yeah I heard of it that would be a neat time-saver but the URL parameter thing doesn't seem to work anymore... That's probably intentional by YT to make sure we're correctly being advertised at

The time offset is a feature they can’t remove, there’s an extension that skips 30% on chrome extension marketplace.

"The children’s commissioner for England has called for tighter legislation to protect young online gamers, some of whom are spending hundreds of pounds on “loot boxes” to keep up with friends and advance in games.

Some children said they were worried loot boxes were a form of gambling. Those playing Fifa, for example, said they realised the chances of finding a good football player in a mystery pack were very low, but they still spent money in the hope of adding to their squad. “I never get anything out of it [buying packs] but I still do it,” said one 14-year-old Fifa player.

The commissioner acknowledged that playing games online could be rewarding and could help develop strategic skills and friendships, but warned that young players were open to exploitation by games companies playing on their need to keep up with friends by encouraging them to spend on loot boxes."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/oct/22/clamp-down-on-fortnite-loot-boxes-urges-childrens-commissioner

"Call of Duty: Mobile has reaped nearly $87 million in global player spending and more than 172 million downloads in its first two months, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates."

https://venturebeat.com/2019/12/04/call-of-duty-mobile-hits-87-million-and-172-million-downloads-in-2-months/