Sign in to follow this  
[HP]

Anthem and the peculiarities of modern monetization.

1 hour ago, Beck said:

Yeah, I'm not liking the look of all the subscription based services. I doubt physical/digital copies are going to go anywhere too soon but the industry could definitely go the same route TV/Film has gone with every studio having their own service with their own content locked to that service.

Yeah, ok, I can probably deal with the massive segmentation of having several launchers and services as long as I can play the games. What is troubling me more lately, and this is something that Ross Scott is also stressing a lot, are the games that require authentication to an online server. With this subscription service that is being pushed and also stadia's streaming, I think this will become even more of an issue in the future. Sure, you can argue that this is an issue even with regular platforms that offer digital copies. If the platform dies, then shieeet. But that's less likely to happen than say a game's servers being shut down. Take for instance the Games for Windows Live. When they shut that down they also killed a lot of games. Some of them were patched to use Steamworks, but others not (Dirt 2). 

Ross Scott tried last month to push forward the idea that some games being advertised as services are fraud. While he does have some fair points, the argument was partially shut down by various lawyers. However, some pointed out that he could instead try to branch into the duration of granted copyright time. Here's his video:

This is one of the lawyers responding with the copyright idea:

Ultimately, shitty monetization and segmented as the market might become aside, I'm more concerned about the actual games and being able to play them long after their release. 

Edited by Radu

25 minutes ago, Radu said:

Yeah, ok, I can probably deal with the massive segmentation of having several launchers and services as long as I can play the games. What is troubling me more lately, and this is something that Ross Scott is also stressing a lot, are the games that require authentication to an online server. With this subscription service that is being pushed and also stadia's streaming, I think this will become even more of an issue in the future. Sure, you can argue that this is an issue even with regular platforms that offer digital copies. If the platform dies, then shieeet. But that's less likely to happen than say a game's servers being shut down. Take for instance the Games for Windows Live. When they shut that down they also killed a lot of games. Some of them were patched to use Steamworks, but others not (Dirt 2). 

Ross Scott tried last month to push forward the idea that some games being advertised as services are fraud. While he does have some fair points, the argument was partially shut down by various lawyers. However, some pointed out that he could instead try to branch into the duration of granted copyright time. Here's his video:

This is one of the lawyers responding with the copyright idea:

Ultimately, shitty monetization and segmented as the market might become aside, I'm more concerned about the actual games and being able to play them long after their release. 

Yeah I don't care about multiple launchers, I've already got like 4 or 5 on my PC. I meant subscription services (ala Netflix, Prime, HBO, Disney etc...) and the fear that gaming equivalents will become the norm in the future doing away with physical/digital copies of games. There would be no way for those games to be preserved except in YouTube lets plays like Jim Stirling mentioned.

I saw that Ross Scott video and it was really good, hopefully it does get somewhere and will lead to a way to keep games alive once their servers are switched off.

As things are, the only way to ensure some future proof, would be supporting companies like GOG that have made their mission to maintain access and playability of old games.

Also a devil’s advocate point is this: both Sony and MS have gone to great lengths in the last generation to provide compatibility with old games. Considering that the value of a platform/service is in great part linked to the offering, these companies have all the interest in maintaining their games long after their main “profitability lifetime”.

I also wonder for independent/privately own developers what entitlement they have to eventually make their games available in case their publisher shuts down the servers.

God that one guy giving a presentation on his games monetisation was horrible. I hope the industry changes soon. A lot of the big publishers are getting really greedy.

I doubt it will change. At best you'll have a few studios like CD Projekt Red, indies or most console exclusives that don't add monetization. 

Another issue in regards to the streaming game service, which @grapen brought up, is that if it catches on it will potentially lead to the death of modding. All files are on an official server, can't be modified, can't add anything to it.

13 minutes ago, Radu said:

Another issue in regards to the streaming game service, which @grapen brought up, is that if it catches on it will potentially lead to the death of modding. All files are on an official server, can't be modified, can't add anything to it.

Well considering there have been initiatives like SnapMap or FC Arcade, you could potentially create a sandbox environment for mods, with tools that are as well streamed.

i know is far fetched and most unlikely, but content creation don’t have to necessarily die.

Is all in the hands of devs and publishers, if they see value in enabling mods, they will find a way to allow their player base to play with tools.

I’m pretty sure no one ever expected modding tools to end up on console, but then you got stuff like Halo and Far Cry… ending up in games that are content creation tools really.

31 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Well considering there have been initiatives like SnapMap or FC Arcade, you could potentially create a sandbox environment for mods, with tools that are as well streamed.

i know is far fetched and most unlikely, but content creation don’t have to necessarily die.

Is all in the hands of devs and publishers, if they see value in enabling mods, they will find a way to allow their player base to play with tools.

I’m pretty sure no one ever expected modding tools to end up on console, but then you got stuff like Halo and Far Cry… ending up in games that are content creation tools really.

Sure, but you'd still have limits. For instance, I wouldn't be able to make my FC map without a mod that removes the imposed budget on details and AI. And SnaMap is shit. There, I've said it.

Edited by Radu

Yeah, ok, I've hijacked this thread, after it was previously hijacked by @[HP], to keep track of the lootbox issue and company trends over time. I'm gonna keep updating this with notable headlines.

"In an at times tense hearing, digital minister Margot James told the committee she did not believe there was enough evidence to class loot boxes, which appear in games certified suitable for children as young as three, as gambling.

Members of the Culture Select Committee accused the Government of being “complacent” over the features, which they said were exposing children "to all the emotions of gambling"."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/02/video-game-loot-boxes-bad-roulette-wheels-mps-warn/

"The French government has launched a major push to poach British game developers in the wake of Brexit, promising subsidies, tax breaks and loans to creatives who make the move across the Channel.

“In only a few years, video games have become France’s second largest cultural industry, behind books and ahead of cinema,” the French Directorate General for Enterprise, which is leading the campaign, says. “It is one of the most dynamic sectors in the French economy, with more than 5,000 direct jobs.” Video game revenues totalled €4.9bn (£4.4bn) in 2018, it added."

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/jul/03/france-makes-a-post-brexit-grab-for-uks-game-developers

"Industry trade association TIGA has urged the UK government to consider new policy measures following the reveal of a French programme to attract game companies, post-Brexit."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-05-tiga-calls-for-video-game-investment-fund-for-uk-devs-to-help-prevent-post-brexit-exodus

Edited by Radu