Sign in to follow this  
zNiiC

Nick Verducci - Level Designer

Hey everyone!

I am looking for some feedback on my portfolio as I am starting to apply for industry jobs. My portfolio is at nickverducci.com.

I have experience with multiple game engines, Unreal, Unity, Radiant, etc and mainly want to work on 1st and 3rd person games.

Thanks!

Hey, welcome to Mapcore!

I had a look at your portfolio and I have to say it's pretty good! The theme is clean, seems pretty functional and it expands with additional information on dedicated project pages.

Firstly, the images can be slow to load initially. I would recommend finding a compromise in quality vs size with jpeg. I tried both on my phone and on PC. On my phone, your vimeo background intro wouldn't even load. I thought you should know even though recruiters are browsing on their desktop most of the times. 

Secondly, you haven't updated your second entry with additional information. It's just there, empty, no info, nothing. Also, the greybox mp maps feel a bit weak compared to some of the more refined entries like LOUISIANA BAYOU.

It's cool to see that you have experience in other areas, but I don't know if I would keep SASHIMI SLAMMERS and CAR CRASHING there. I would definitely remove the Level Design Notebook. As for Early Work, I would collapse that under one entry. Right now, there's a lot of stuff and not all is arguably on the same level of quality. 

Overall, it's good! You know the theory, have some working prototypes and also some additional skills. I'd argue that you just need to apply and do the design tests. If you have time on the side, try to do an art pass on some of those greybox levels or at least show some consideration for the level art with some rough placeholders.

Thanks for the feedback, I've been busy with some other projects and haven't had time to put in all of the documentation for the second entry but I'll get around to that soon along with down sizing the images for a few larger ones.

I'll take a look at my other entries and try to filter out the weaker ones so only the best is showing. As for jobs, I'm applying everywhere and even got to the last stage for one, but got rejected with no feedback on the level I spend 60+ hours on so I don't know what to focus on and improve on lol.

Send a PM if you want me to have a look over it. I don't have that much first hand experience myself, but I've been digesting a lot of info over time.

Edited by Radu

I can say that on mobile (iOS) the video is loading for me, it goes black if I tap on any of the social icons at the top though (upon returning on the page). Those icons I can’t see btw.

I can only join Radu in complimenting you, real nice website you got.

Best if luck with the applications!