That50'sGuy

[CS:GO] de_border (W.I.P.)

Hello everyone!

Today I proudly introduce to you fine folks... Border! A map set in a north-eastern German border town between two states.

If you have any feedback or want to report a bug, please let me know in the discussion areas! I'm also open to personal tours of the map if you're interested!

Things to come: Radar map.

Give the map a download here!: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1713599987

Happy mappings y'all!

I ♡ The 1950's

(EDIT: For those who are curious about the nature of the comments directly below, the map originally had a different name/theme that was changed due to controversy)

20190225201502_1.jpg

20190225201516_1.jpg

20190225201539_1.jpg

20190225201558_1.jpg

20190225201604_1.jpg

20190225201627_1.jpg

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's

Hi again!

So as it has come to my attention, some of the playtesters I have played with feel that maybe the theme/name is a little controversial. Therefor, I would like to give you folks a poll and let you decide what will become of this map!

Do you think the theme/name should stay the way it is? Should it be changed? Or should it merely be toned down? Your opinion matters :).

You can input your votes here: https://www.strawpoll.me/17483386

I certainly appreciate your feedback, and I wish the very best for you all!

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's

I think the problem with the name is that its not realistic. Aside from the obvious connection to Nazi Germany, modern day Germany just wouldnt form a "forth Reich" as it is. I dont know if you ever talked or listened to a German before, but generally they see third Reich as a stain on their history. Unless your story was that an extremist right-wing faction somehow conquered Germany and wanted to go back to the glory of the old Reichs.

I mean we are also talking about a situation, where Germany, one of the EUs biggest proponents just up and leaves the EU, apparently also making such a big deal out of it, all of the EU stops being allies with Germany.

If you want to be realistic about this, Germany in the modern day, would never leave the EU, but even if they did, nobody is going to support bring back Reich iconography and changing the flag to an iron cross, the people of Modern Germany have no reason to want to go back to Reichs, The country is too much of an economic powerhouse to fall so far back.

Lastly, I assume you would want your map to have a chance of being put in game right? Because valve isnt going to except this map as it is for 2 reasons

1. The obvious Nazi connections

2. How unrealistic of a situation that this map is set in. CSGO is set in the modern world, nothing about it is particularly fantastical. The amount of cultural and political shifts it would take for Germany to come even close to what you're trying to portray would have massive affect on the rest of the world, which isnt supported at all by any other map or piece of media related to csgo.

Edited by fewseb

I dont think you should mix the present and past like this. The German Empire and Third Reich do hold a certain fascination, but portraying a historical theme and mixing in historic symbols with a modern setting are 2 different things that in this case come with very different connotations.

If you want to create something using imagery from those times, it should either be strictly historical or some kind of dystopian setting. Using this imagery in a way that doesnt reflect upon why these are seen as some if not the darkest times in european history implies either a complete lack of understanding of the topic or even worse, willful ignorance and romanticization.

Wether such a theme actually fits CS:GO is a different question, but just the way you are handling the theme feels weird and out of touch with the underlying topic.

44 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

@fewsebIn other words valve doesn't generally accept fictitious themes or ones linked to Nazi germany. Weird historical flex but I digress.

Not really what I was saying, like at all.

Obviously you got DoD with Nazi Germany, and every other valve IP is set in a fictitious rendition of the world. Half Life and Portal are set in a Dystopia, the left 4 dead series is post-apocalyptic, team fortress 2 is parody of the real world as it is both currently and decades ago, Ricochet is set in a void in space, Alien Swarm is Science Fiction.

The counter strike series is about the only valve series that is confined to real world limitations, and this map's back story is so ridiculous and unlikely to happen that it could not fit into the real world. If this was TF2, yeah sure it could happen. If this was Left 4 Dead, maybe? Half Life? Why not, Ricochet, who doesn't want to see a forth Reich conquering the great space void. But in counter strike, a game which can be seen as mirroring real life occurrences and society, is grounded heavily in reality (Ignoring how different CS guns are from Real Guns, and how humans react when injured, the craziest it gets is the TAGrenade and the Flying Scoutsman gamemode) 

Edited by fewseb

After looking at the votes and feedback, I've decided that I will indeed change the theme and name to something different. Thank you for your opinions and facts.

I guess thinking about it now, it is quite a silly theme. I guess I should avoid becoming a story writer or anything like that Heheh. Would probably make for a great fantasy story though!

Well, it looks like I now have to think up a new name. Any ideas are welcome too!

Once again, thanks for the feedback! Without y'all, this would have been one ridiculous map!

And here's a little screenshot of what CT-Spawn looks like now that it has had the Reich stuff removed/replaced. (I was gonna make a de-reichified joke, but that was just too cheesy)

20190222215954_1.jpg

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's

Yeah, I don't know, it just seemed kind of inappropriate for someone with the name "I love the 50s" (no offense) to make a map with iron cross banners all over and signage talking about how we are building up a fourth great German Reich. The map looks pretty, the buildings and snow are especially well done so far, but the allusions to Nazi Germany were just way too far IMO. I think it's a smart move to take the story in a different direction.

Here's a lil update!

I've finally narrowed it down to two name options: Brandenburg (Since that's the state the map is set in), or Border (Since the map is in a border town).

You can vote here: https://www.strawpoll.me/17496293

Also, should I perhaps make a new thread for the map, Or keep this one?

You can vote on that over here: https://www.strawpoll.me/17496301

Your opinion matters to me, so be sure to vote if you can!

Thanks again for the wonderful help and support. :)

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's

8 hours ago, Roald said:

Bro, you are a strong independent woman, you can decide for yourself 😅

I think Border sounds pretty dope

Heh, I'm actually a guy. But your right, I'm rather indecisive 😂 I'll wait until the end of tomorrow to see what the votes say.

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's

Today I've released a new update!

The changes include:

A working bot navigation mesh.

An improved skybox.

I've expanded upon Apartments.

And I've added another building to CT-Spawn.

Here's hoping you enjoy the update!!!

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1713599987

20190225201531_1.jpg

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's

Rather large update today! I've heavily upgraded the bombsites to be much more open and fun than before!

I know that there may be a sightline issue at A-Site, but I'll fix that tomorrow. I've been up since 7 AM, tee-hee!

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1713599987

20190305221554_1.jpg

20190305221559_1.jpg

Edited by I ♡ The 1950's