Sign in to follow this  
DMU222

Apex Legends

Coming from PUBG, which is intense but also goes from being an Okayish-experience into an absolute mess every other update, this is such a welcomed change - to be able to get consistently smooth frame-rates, while looking hell of a lot better. You can play it without stressing as much as you might in PUBG or DOTA2. I get a few random crashes and you can't rejoin a session so that's a bummer. Fortnite felt too cartoony for my liking but this has a Borderlands-like vibe. The weapons are fun, managing items and picking up stuff is simpler too. Definitely playing this for a while!

Hope 4  people squads are a thing in the future, and maybe more maps.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, grapen said:

Guns are not tiered, they’re preference (and situational). Play with them and find some that you like. I mostly roll with the wingman pistol, longbow rifle and peacekeepe shotty. Attachments are tiered however and corresponds to the same color coding as skins. White < Blue < Purple < Yellow. When you tag a blue armor for instance, the voice line goes ”armor here, level 2”. I don’t think it’s complicated, it’s basically Quake 3 pickups on steroids with all the attachments, that you learn the depth of over a few hours of gameplay.

Well they sort of are tiered, since same class guns (eg: AR) can be both light or heavy ammo.

Plus you can find the epic ones completely kitted.

From my experience it’s basically useless to have any light ammo gun, unless you are at the very beginning, facing unarmed or just pistol-armed enemies. Although I managed to kill two armed guys whilst I only had the throwing ninja-star-looking thing, and one with melee only (from behind).

I understand the attachments/armour colours.

6 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Well they sort of are tiered, since same class guns (eg: AR) can be both light or heavy ammo.

Plus you can find the epic ones completely kitted.

From my experience it’s basically useless to have any light ammo gun, unless you are at the very beginning, facing unarmed or just pistol-armed enemies. Although I managed to kill two armed guys whilst I only had the throwing ninja-star-looking thing, and one with melee only (from behind).

I understand the attachments/armour colours.

The r-301 rifle with light ammo deals 14/28 (body/headshot), full auto with high accuracy. The flatline, also a rifle, though heavy ammo, deals 16/32 full auto with less accuracy. As an example. It’s more about preference.

Not had the chance to play this yet but from what iv seen the map, mechanics and pacing (of the map) look great, very interested to see more behind the development of the map/level with there workflow and tools ect, they got some awsome artist over at respawn & im sure there will be more to come.
If anyone finds any useful dev links please post, been looking around but not found much info and i enjoy a good read 🙂

Cheers

42 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Is there a marketplace like for CSGO already? How do you know the value?

No, there’s no market. The pity timer for an heirloom item is 500 crates ($500), and the drop rate is so low, chances are good you won’t get it before the timer kicks in.

Edited by grapen

I love Blackout (and still play it) but the fact that I now find it a bit clunky is a testament to how well designed and streamlined this game is. Simply having attachments added to weapons automatically (and switched when weapons are swapped) makes a huge difference (compared to sitting in the inventory in Blackout, removing attachments and re-attaching manually). Also picking things up while running past without having to hold a button (on console). The little things really do add up. 

I haven’t played this anymore, but it’s still going strong and a new hero is being released, along with the announcement of the Season scheme, much alike Fortnite, starting today actually.

An explainer from IGN

This video, I think very convincingly, ties the success of Apex Legends to the worsening and widespread income inequality we see throughout our society.

The central thesis touches on a lot of topics that seem especially relevant these days, such as the ongoing "race to the bottom" of game development, conversion to parasitic F2P/spotify models, handing over industry-wide promotion to monopolies like Amazon via Twitch "influencers".

It seems like quite a fun game and I obviously think it's great that Respawn has a bonafide hit on their hands. But on the other hand, it's hard to imagine the business model it pushes and normalizes being sustainable in the long term once the concept of "microtransactions" has less novelty to consumers, nor healthy for the industry at large when BR games cannibalize eachother's success so rapidly, and games that aren't chasing the BR trend hardly stand to be profitable.